Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I recently bought some Scott Aztec ski's and need to buy some bindings for them. I have so far looked at Marker Squire 11, Tyrolia Peak 12 and Salomon STH 10 and if I'm honest, having never bought bindings before, I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for other than the right width brake and correct din settings for my weight.
I'm a fairly competent aggressive skier who particularly likes moguls, off piste and some fast carving. I weigh 10.5 stone wet through and have a budget of around 150 quid.

If anybody is able to give me some advice I'd be grateful.

Cheers

N
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickr, If you look on Ebay, search for "Storm Bindings", these are "Storm" skis branded Tyrolia bindings, rather like the Head Mojo 12/Tyrolia Peak 12 (DIN upto 12). Lightwieght composite 3D release system, can choose a variety of ski brake widths. Just about perfect. Don't be put off by the brand-name, these are the real Mcoy Tyrolia.
£70 plus £3.50 P&P. Your local ski shop'll mount for less than £20.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A few years back I had Scott Maya (the same as Aztec) with STH 10 and it was a great combination for me then, but if you are a guy I think you need something that runs up to 12 at least. There are also things like deltas (height difference between toe and heel pieces) to consider but this can be fixed to you preference as long as the binding is strong enough. STH 10 is basically a girl binding, so you should be looking at STH 12 and higher. Out of the three Tyrolia will probably be the best.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would go for the marker or the salomon, both are nice and light weight and I'm sure will offer you enough retention in the ski. Prob best to buy from your local shop then I'm sure they will mount them for you free of charge
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies so far guys, just to throw something else into the mix, any views on Look NX 12 bindings? Slightly more than I want to pay but I hear good things about Look equipment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nickr, Look nx 12 are the same as rossignol axium, lots of plastic, light, standard binding aimed at intermediate piste skiing really.

If you want a proper binding that will last you years, you will need to get them fitted, but in your budget

here

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/1870

look pivot 14
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As for DIN settings. I have no idea what 10.5 stone is, but if you can find out what your DIN setting should be on a binding, taking into account weight, length and ski level: try to find a binding which min and max is minimal 2 points from that value. So if your DIN setting should be 8, it is fine to buy a STH10. If it is 9, you should buy an 11 or 12. But you can also buy too strong, like a 16 would sometimes have a minimum of 8, which is too close if you should wear 8 or 9.

Most bindings mentioned are fine, in general try to use bindings with mostly metal parts. Plastic bindings break more easily. Look Pivot 14 are certainly good bindings. But the others will do fine as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My DIN setting is 7.5, speaking to the shop I bought the ski's from, they have suggested the Marker Squire 11.....
The Look bindings are notably heavier, obbviously because they're metal and better built - but, does weight have an adverse impact on perfomance? I would assume that lighter ski's are easier to initiate turns etc. As a light person would I notice the heavier binding when skiing?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Remember the weight of a binding will be nicely centred under your foot; the 'swing weight' of the ski will remain more or less unchanged so there shouldn't be much of an effect on turning or spinning.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, so I can't get the Marker Squire because the brake width (90mm) will be too wide for my 76mm waist skis.
Seems like my choice is now between the Salomon STH12 and the Looks but struggling to get the Looks with an 80mm brake also.

Dan - I assume that was you I spoke to today at Snowtrax? Thanks for the help!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Nick,

Yep it was me that you spoke too, Will be in contact with you tomorrow, sorry haven't heard back from dynastar Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickr wrote:
Ok, so I can't get the Marker Squire because the brake width (90mm) will be too wide for my 76mm waist skis.
Seems like my choice is now between the Salomon STH12 and the Looks but struggling to get the Looks with an 80mm brake also.!

Such is the price you pay for using skinny skis Very Happy

You could have a look at ebay item 110598105860 which is an older (but apparently unused) Rossignol-branded 12 DIN pivot. The brakes are 75mm, but you should be able to bend the arms a little bit and maybe shave the inside of the grippers so they'll fit over your skis.

There's nothing wrong with the Salomons, but I am curious as to why you've ruled out the Tyrolias though, given how cheaply they can be picked up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serriadh, only thing to be aware of with the earlier pivots is the enormous ramp the binding has, its 8mm on those, so many need spacers under the toe and longer screws. I have a pair of them with 5mm of spacers under the toe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ruled out the Tyrolia's for the same reason as the Markers - cant find them with a brake less than 97mm. Shame because Ellis Brigham are selling them in the sale for £63!!!

I have to say, I'm kind of fixated on the Looks because they will match my ski's perfectly and a lot of people rave about them! I'm just not sure the Pivot's would be right for me - given that I'm not gonna be jumping off any cliffs or skiing anything stupidly steep and my DIN setting is only 6.5 to 7.5.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nickr wrote:
I'm just not sure the Pivot's would be right for me - given that I'm not gonna be jumping off any cliffs or skiing anything stupidly steep and my DIN setting is only 6.5 to 7.5.

This seems like a slightly strange thing to think... if the binding release values go low enough for you, there's no reason to rule em out because they might be "too much binding", somehow. I don't recall anyone ever saying "Gosh, I wish I'd got more delicate bindings", but perhaps I've not been paying attention Smile

Also, careful with the "givens" there. Consider that you are not yet jumping off any cliffs, and not yet skiing anything stupidly steep, and that it might be nice to have some kit that will still do the job if you change your mind in the future.

nickr wrote:
Ruled out the Tyrolia's for the same reason as the Markers - cant find them with a brake less than 97mm

Following skimastaaah's suggestion (in the second post to this thread, no less!) I find ebay item 150743625655: a new storm-badged tyrolia-made 12 DIN binding, 78mm brake arms, 70 quid.
latest report
That made me laugh - a very good point regarding the Pivots!
Yeah, looked at the Storm badged Tyrolia's and haven't completely ruled them out, good value for money but they're definitely in 3rd place at the moment behind the Pivots and Salomon's.
I never imagined buying a pair of binidngs could be so tricky!
latest report
would these not be perfect for you? they're exactly what you want, pivots, low enough din value just, right brake size and they're not that expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Rossignol-FKS-120-World-Cup-ski-bindings-/110598105860?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item19c0292b04#ht_1313wt_1037
snow conditions
nickr, What ski length did you buy of the Scott Aztecs, and which year? At 10.5 stone, and a choice DIN setting of 6.5/7.5 I'm not sure why you are wanting top-end/top-price binding. I'd still suggest the Storm branded Tyrolia Peak 12's are a decent bit of kit, notwithstanding their price they are an excellent build quality.

To be honest a brake width of 90mm is not going to cause any big deal with a 76mm as you'll have a 7mm clearance either side of your ski edges.

Buying bindings is only a headache if what you want is past your budget. Been there, done that. Mad
ski holidays
Got the 2012 Aztecs in a 165.

My initial reasoning for looking at more expensive / different bindings was simply because I have skied the lower end Scott / Salomons previously and wondered if something else might be better.... but I also wanted something that was going to look good on my ski's as well.

With regard to brake width I've been advised by a few different people and also read that a brake width of about 15mm or more than the ski waist wont be suitable. I assume this is because you risk the brake digging in when you edge???
snow conditions
nickr, I can slightly see your point regarding the brake width, but seeing as most bindings have a system that closes as well as lifts the brakes that may not really be an issue (well, maybe with the Atomic Neox).

With the greatest respect you are a lightweight skier on a rather short ski, you may quite easily find that DIN 6.5/7.5 means you are not quite in the mid-range of say a DIN 4 - 12 (which would be DIN 8/9). I'm not saying go for a binding with less DIN scaling, but I'm not sure you really need a heavy-duty binding, and would suggest that you could look at some of the lightweight composite ones.
However, if you are wanting a beefier set, that may look a tad "over-speced" on your skis.

Advice?........... go with your head and wallet.
snow report
Having previously expressed an interest in doing some touring - a friend of mine has suggested getting a touring binding?
Forgive my ignorance but would there be any major difference skiing a touring binding? They presumably sit higher on the ski?
ski holidays
Now you're opening a can of worms. Presumably your question is, "Can I use a touring binding for resort skiing as well?"

You can, but only if you're willing to compromise. I have met people who use Fritschis as their only binding, but they were all small, light folk who didn't ski very hard. They won't clamp you to the ski as well as a true alpine binding, and they've got a high stack height. Plenty of people use Marker Barons as their only binding, but Barons are expensive, they've got a high stack height, and they're quite heavy too (more than even the heavier alpine bindings) which is important if you're actually going to skin very far. I know people who use Dukes and Barons as their touring bindings, but they're all hellishly fit. Salomon Guardians probably have too high a minimum release value for you (and are heavier and more expensive stilll!). I've used my dynafits on piste for a couple of days in the absense of any better bindings... they feel quite harsh and unforgiving, and I don't feel like wearing them out prematurely cos they're pretty pricey to replace.

So, it'll be an expensive compromise, and if you don't take to touring it'll be a pointless compromise, too. I don't know if I'd necessarily class your Aztecs as an 'all mountain' sort of ski either, so they might not be an ideal choice for touring.
ski holidays
nickr, Consider a Marker F10 or maybe a F12, but maybe better on a F10 given your light weight. I ski on Dukes, just got my wife ready to go next season on F10's. Her Marker Free 12.0's are going at the right price if you were interested? They'll do all the things you ask for initially but if you want a touring binding thats a different brief altogether.
snow report
Cheers for all the advice everyone, it's been very useful and I've learnt a lot.
snow conditions
Serriadh, I'd ski Dynafits day in, day out in resort and I'm not that light and don't ski gently. Just bought some Guardians on the recommendation of people that have skied them for my fat skis and apparently they're more solid than some alpine bindings. The answer with everything is to be more fit. Toofy Grin

Fritschis are weak, lame and horribly sloppy. Dukes develop slop in the toe and are awkward for touring.

The downside to Dynafits is their limited release and their tolerance to boot wear. For pretty much everything else they outperform even alpine bindings for a similar DIN. The biggest problem I've had is trusting them on drops onto anything but powder as they aren't that elastic. Main issue now is getting my left boot to click into the binding as the toe is so worn from rock clambering!

If someone made a burly tech binding with high DIN I'd ski that all the time.
ski holidays
meh wrote:
Serriadh, I'd ski Dynafits day in, day out in resort and I'm not that light and don't ski gently.

Dynafits on good snow are okay, but on hard stuff they just don't have the same amount of elasticity and dampening that alpine bindings do as a result of having the toe of your boot clamped in place with no fore-aft movement and only a tiny bit of lateral movement. They felt very harsh to me, and quite tiring. I'm also pretty certain that they're not nearly as robust as alpine bindings, and spending a few days lapping the lifts is going to put in a hell of a lot of vertical on harder surfaces than you might expect in the same few days spent skinning. Alpine bindings just don't fatigue in the same way; I read about more tech heel pin failures than I do alpine binding heel mount breakages.

I can't really make any comparisons in binding retention and relative safety, except that I'd be more inclined to trust alpine bindings than tech, because their elasticity means certain kinds of pre-release are much less likely to occur.

(there's also a major up-front cost for the OP in the form of relatively pricey bindings and a new set of boots)

meh wrote:
Fritschis are weak, lame and horribly sloppy.

In defence of Fritschis, they get a lot of flak but they're also used a hell of a lot by a vast number of people, including some very experienced folk doing lots of skiing and skinning. Wasn't Doug Coombs a Fritschi user? I'll admit he wasn't famous for throwing backloops and big airs, but he did get a fair bit of touring done...

meh wrote:
If someone made a burly tech binding with high DIN I'd ski that all the time.

If someone made a nice 5-15 version of the Guardian that weighed 2kg a pair or under my Dynafits wouldn't come out so much Smile I suspect you'll get your wish before I get mine...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 19-09-12 6:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
meh,

Quote:

Fritschis are weak, lame and horribly sloppy.

I'm swapping from Fritschis to Dynafits for similar reasons; they're significantly softer (than alpines) due to all the plastic and not keen on the stack height when skinning and skiing.

Quote:

I don't know if I'd necessarily class your Aztecs as an 'all mountain' sort of ski either, so they might not be an ideal choice for touring.

I have an old pair of these from 2006 for my 'Wales' skis Very Happy Very versatile and skied very well on all surfaces, if a little soft compared to the newer 'Freeride Touring' skis. However, they are very light. They'd be perfectly fine for touring on IMHO.
latest report
Of course they'll work; they're skis! But instead of having to work harder to ski a turny skinny stick in all conditions, you could just get a fatter rockered ski and relax a little.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickr wrote:
Cheers for all the advice everyone, it's been very useful and I've learnt a lot.

Be quick ............. the Storm/Tyrolia's have just been reduced to £52.99, the seller does this for a day or so.
KNOW, what you want your bindings for. Piste or what?? Puzzled
latest report
Serriadh, what I meant is that I ski dynafits day in, day out including on lifts and have done for a few years because I had nothing else. Smile

I can afford more than one pair of skis and boots now so am diversifying.

Quote:

In defence of Fritschis, they get a lot of flak but they're also used a hell of a lot by a vast number of people, including some very experienced folk doing lots of skiing and skinning.

Well they work so there is that for them, if you haven't used anything else or don't want to spend lots of cash they definitely work. They just deliver the worst skiing experience of all of the bindings. I skied them for one day after hiring some skis from Braemar Mountain Sport and would never do that again! Very Happy
ski holidays
Marker Barons would suit the bill as an Alpine binding that can do a bit of light touring (referring to the duration and exposure of the touring, not the weight of the equipment Wink )
The Dukes have a higher DIN setting, but even the Barons go up to 13 which should be ample for most folk
snow conditions
Quote:

Dukes develop slop in the toe

meh, Is that a well known issue, my pal also skis Dukes and mine are OK but his have developed some slack in the toe? Can it be sorted?
ski holidays
Markymark29, its common enough to get complained about on TGR a lot. Very Happy

I have no idea about Duke maintenance though. Making sure everything is tight couldn't hurt though.
snow report
nickr, Let us know what you went for in the end. snowHead
snow conditions
Have been reliably informaed that I can swap an 85mm brake from a Marker touring binding (although looking at the marker website, more likely a junior race binding) and put it on the marker squire 11.
Bindings plus new brake will cost £100.
ski holidays
nickr, think we might have a Marker narrow brake at the workshop, came off a Jester I think and we will never use it as our narrowest ski is 89 underfoot. If I'm not imagining this then you can have it for a nominal sum. PM me and I'll check with the workshop if this item really exists or is a figment of my fevered imagination.
ski holidays
Cheers Midgetbiker but I've already located one. Ta.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy