Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bindings..Confused!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from my previous post..

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just bought some Black Crows all mountain skis (here: http://bit.ly/QWfJbL)

I'm 5ft 10.5in and 93kg. I have spent 9 weeks on snow and have my own boots (done at profeet last year) and consider myself an advanced, but not an expert skier who is quite aggressive. I have just had my job confirmed in Val Thorens for this coming season so was looking to buy some skis.

Having just ordered the 186cm version of the skis above at the advice of my brother, I'm having second thoughts as to whether the 179cm skis would be better. Indeed, I am 179cm in height. At the moment I ski mainly on-piste but obviously I want the flexibility of being able to ski off-piste too, if that makes any difference to the length.

Any advice?

Also, could someone recommend me some bindings? Very Happy

Thanks!

I'm looking for some ski bindings for the skis above (now the 179cm version). The waist on the skis is 90mm. Having spent a while looking around the internet I have ended up just getting confused about bindings. The majority of the ones I've seen are "freeski" bindings, whatever that means. I mainly ski on piste, but in my forthcoming season I guess I will end up doing a fair bit of off-piste once I've exhausted most of the runs. So I guess I'd say 60% piste 40% off-piste.

In my last thread I had recommendations for Look Pivots - these look great, are they suitable for my skiing? Links here http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/22959 and http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/1870

Any suggestions much appreciated, I guess my budget it anything less than £200. Thanks in advance, this forum has already been a great help to me!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be worth looking at the Marker Baron or something similar. It gives you the benefits of a regular alpine binding but with some level of ability to skin up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3thr3e, "freeski" bindings - Will have a tendency to have a wider footprint for skis with a waist greather than 88 underfoot.

The do the same as normal bindings do on Piste skis but can cosmetically be a little more flash and as above are wider on the ski, and contain a wider brake to facilitate larger skis.

Both the bindings will fit your skis but one has a DIN range of up to 18 with based on your specs and skiing ability as described you wont need unless you weigh

The 169 option should do you fine
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fattes13 wrote:
3thr3e, "freeski" bindings - Will have a tendency to have a wider footprint for skis with a waist greather than 88 underfoot.

The do the same as normal bindings do on Piste skis but can cosmetically be a little more flash and as above are wider on the ski, and contain a wider brake to facilitate larger skis.

Both the bindings will fit your skis but one has a DIN range of up to 18 with based on your specs and skiing ability as described you wont need unless you weigh

The 169 option should do you fine

Thanks for the advice - what is the practical implication of having a wider binding on the ski. I also see that the back of the binding pivots - is this only in impact, or all the time? This is all alien to me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The whole concept behind the Pivot heel piece is to reduce the leverage applied to the knee during a heavy release. Ideal for slower twisting rearward falls, which is where high din set skiers would be vulnerable to ACL injuries.

Lateral movement in the heel piece is available on other bindings (I Think) but Pivot is the industry standard for it as far as I know. The wider footprint of the Binding over the ski = better transmission of energy/pressure when you apply it to the ski and getting more out of the ski’s Camber (The arch underneath the binding on a ski laid out on a flat surface)

Any ski over 88 I would personally not dream of having anything but a freeride binding on them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fattes13 wrote:
The whole concept behind the Pivot heel piece is to reduce the leverage applied to the knee during a heavy release. Ideal for slower twisting rearward falls, which is where high din set skiers would be vulnerable to ACL injuries.

Lateral movement in the heel piece is available on other bindings (I Think) but Pivot is the industry standard for it as far as I know. The wider footprint of the Binding over the ski = better transmission of energy/pressure when you apply it to the ski and getting more out of the ski’s Camber (The arch underneath the binding on a ski laid out on a flat surface)

Any ski over 88 I would personally not dream of having anything but a freeride binding on them.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. So would you say the look pivots are a good choice then? Are there any other bindings that come highly recommended?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whether or not the turntable help prevent your ACL asplode or not is still open to debate; the Kneebinding folk reckon that you need actual lateral release at the heel for that, and the arms that hold the heelpiece to the baseplate on the Pivots/FKS would prevent that happening. I doubt anyone has any meaningful comparison of knee injuries occurring on people using turntable bindings vs more conventional ones. The Pivots do have a big elastic travel though; that's far more of a selling point to my mind as it'll cut down on prereleasing.

The Salomon STH and Atomic FFG Team bindings are also very well regarded, and are a wee bit cheaper. The brakes are also much easier to change and much cheaper to buy, but that probably doesn't matter to you so much! The higher DIN Tyrolia bindings and all the various rebrands of them (Head Mojo is the only one I can remember immediately) also get lots of positive commentary; Marker bindings tend to get more mixed responses.

The notion of 'freeride' bindings being wider is a little bit of a red herring; the turntable bindings all came with skinny ski brakes back in the day and the binding size, shape and mounting pattern is exactly the same for the new ones with super wide brakes. Salomon's mount pattern and binding construction hasn't changed either. You should take it to mean 'We feel you are in a market segment that is prepared to pay more for stuff called Freeride'.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're not after new ones, I bought some 2nd hand Salomon STH14's from Spyderjon on here if that's of any interest to you 3thr3e?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, Pivots are great bindings, but what is your DIN setting? Or how heavy are you? If you can find Pivots 14 they should work really well. Check the brake width too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
never summer wrote:
OK, Pivots are great bindings, but what is your DIN setting? Or how heavy are you? If you can find Pivots 14 they should work really well. Check the brake width too.

93kg, other info is in the first post. Will the 14 DIN version be OK for me?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
3thr3e, 14 version would be more than enough lad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy