Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Want to try Skinning at Hemel? Sat 6th October.

Poster: A snowHead
Are there enough people on here curious about what skinning feels like and how the kit works, to have a short session one day at Hemel Hempstead snow slope?
It could just be showing how different types of touring bindings work (I have Marker Barons on my new skis and Fritschi Freerides on my old ones) and how you put on and take off skins. Plus having a go at walking up the edge of the piste and doing uphill kick turns. The latter really need a steeper slope but if enough people could do it on a Thursday or Friday morning it might be possible to use the landing slope of one of the jumps that get used later on on those days (there is often a jump on the learning slope too). Or perhaps we might even get them to leave one on the Saturday (they are normally demolished Friday night) or build a small one somewhere out of the way.
I talked to some instructors there and they thought it was feasible. I could show people myself but possibly Hemel might prefer one of their instructors to do it. I can lend some touring skis and skins and I hope some other people might be able to do the same.
Who might be interested? Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-09-12 10:14; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be a good idea to speak to Pete Gillespie at the Snow Centre to confirm he's happy with the idea. I'll PM you his email address.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar Yes, certainly - thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a good idea.. I'd be up for it. Skins are one piece of kit I've not got but keep contemplating getting
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just e-mailed Pete Gillespie. Hopefully he will give us an idea what might be possible from their point of view.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball,

I can't commit 100% but I'm definitely interested.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both my sets of bindings are designed for relatively short walks to find good slopes and snow and feel much the same as normal bindings, skiing downhill. It might be good if someone could bring some of the real lightweight kit that long distance tourers use.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a Friday you could skin up the reverse slope of the freestyle jumps, that would make it a bit of steeper Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd be up for having a go!
I haven't used these since I went skiing with the "Hitler Youth", I should think they have moved on a bit since then.

I can get down to "the fridge" most weekdays, and its cheap this month.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have skins for my Gotamas, with marker barons...but never got round to trying them on snow...would be good to try out indoors and with some fellow snowheads to c*ck it up in front of...

I am down in Hemmel area every couple of weekends....will keep an eye on this thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I could be interested. Got new skis and touring bindings and am relatively new to touring so any chance to refresh the memory inbetween seasons always welcome.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pete is interviewing for the winter intake today; I have also made him aware of this discussion....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clearly there is some interest.
I'll tell you what Pete says when he comes back to me. Then we can find out when people prefer to do it, on the basis of when they are available and what might be available to us on different days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All, seen this and I think we could sort something. Be best at a time with not a lot else going on though. Been mental this week as winter has come very early (nice problem to have)! Salomon had a few guys doing this on wednesday at their ski test.

I will look at this again Monday but maybe a few outline dates would help.

Cheers

PSG
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feef, Big Paua, anarchicsaltire, DrLawn, lampbus, dsoutar, who can do weekdays and who is restricted to weekends?
Thursday morning is nice and empty and has a big jump already constructed the night before but not in use yet.

gilleski some guidance about what might be possible for uphill kick turn practice on different times/days (see my first post) would be helpful.
snow report
hmmm.... I'm kind of curious to see how this works, but seriously doubt I'd be doing the sort of skiing that requires it any time soon. Do you have room for spectators? I couldn't do weekdays but can do evenings and weekends. I might be able to do an early morning as my office isn't far from HH. I'll keep a watchful eye on this thread, if that's OK.
ski holidays
little ms spock, whatever you like. anyone welcome who is curious. Basic skinning is very easy (unless on steep icy slopes): you just do it - but kick turns (only needed on steep slopes) a bit trickier. I suppose we will have to keep adjusting bindings to fit different boots, but that's OK. We can have some people free skiing while others try it.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-09-12 17:18; edited 3 times in total
latest report
I could do a weekday evening no problem.
Weekday afternoon at a push,
Weekends, generally no problem unless I'm oncall.

I'm sure we can coordinate something
snow report
Finally got an answer from Pete Gillespie at Hemel.
He says very early or very late is best for them as they are getting busier now.

His suggestion it early on a Saturday or Sunday (he says 8.00 but I imagine we could make it just a bit later).
I don't know if late on Saturday (9pm?) is an option - I suppose it might be. However in these cases he is not sure if the ramp (for Kick turn practice) would be available (he says we could "Work around that" but I don't know what that means). I'm guessing Saturday a ramp would be more likely since they could just leave one from Friday night.

Alternatively Thursday morning at 10am. Or he could even let us on the slope when it is empty at 9.00 or 9.30 Thursday morning is lovely and empty and we know there will probably be a ramp.

I am assuming about an hour for the skinning(?). He is suggesting a £25 ticket for a full day if we wish to do a some free skiing after. We can do it ourselves if we wish or have an instructor for £60.

This weekend may now be too soon to get the group together(?) though it would be fine for me and unfortunately I cannot do the one after. That means Saturday/Sunday 6th/7th October.

So which can people do?

This Saturday 8.00am (or Sunday, or perhaps 9pm Saturdays evening) or

The same times the weekend of 6th/7th Oct or

Thursday 27th (or 4th Oct) at 9.00am or 10.00

Ideas and availability please

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-09-12 20:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
If you do a weekend I would recommend as early as possible. Last Sunday it was heaving at maximum capacity by 10am, so much so I didn't bother skiing and just helped out other instructors. According to the Instructors Saturday was even busier through out the day, probably due to the September special offers.
snow report
Thanks, anarchicsaltire. Are you interested or just helpful?

I would prefer early Thursdays, but I imagine some people might not be able to do weekdays. (?)
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Thanks, anarchicsaltire. Are you interested or just helpful?

I would prefer early Thursdays, but I imagine some people might not be able to do weekdays. (?)

Interested but unfortunately Tues to Thurs daytimes are not an option for me. Perhaps if you get enough interest then doing more in the off-season will be an option.
latest report
snowball,

Thursday mornings are fine for me.
Weekends not so easy ...

Cheers!
snow conditions
Weekday mornings aren't easy for me.

Saturday morning would be ideal.

Sunday morning is doable.

A late night one would be fine any day of the week
latest report
What are the last 2 hours like on Saturdays?
Is Saturday early worse than Sunday?
snow conditions
I could do early Saturday or Sunday morning...but not this weekend.
Thursday morning at a stretch with a couple of weeks notice.
Thanks for organising.
ski holidays
snowball, trying to get snowHeads to agree on a date rolling eyes, welcome to my world Toofy Grin.

Can usually do early weekend mornings (but not on 6th/7th Oct) - so could do this Sat or Sun.
Can't do weekday mornings unless they are stupidly early (I'd need to leave by 9am).
snowball wrote:
What are the last 2 hours like on Saturdays?
Is Saturday early worse than Sunday?

The biggest problem with evenings (in my experience) is the state of the snow, which I guess isn't as important for this. It's difficult to predict, but the slope will probably be a bit quieter. The regular instructor types will be able to offer more info'.

As I don't have any of the kit would I be able to anything other than observe? I'm not exactly tall so trying to do kick turns on longer skis would be a challenge.
snow conditions
talking about kit. I have Barons on my Movement Jams. I'd be interested to see how they feel with skins.

How practical would it be to fit someone else's skins to my skis as part of the demo?

Where I'm less familiar with skins is how 'fitted' they need to be to the ski.

And this is a handy video i found about fitting/trimming skins to skis

https://vimeo.com/6419656

edit: DOH forgot the link

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 19-09-12 11:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef, no big problem - if my current skins don't fit I have some old narrow ones. If they don't fit well it only becomes a problem to get grip doing traverses and kick turns on steeper, hard slopes. Can you put that skin fitting video url on here?

little ms spock, I've got 2 pairs and others will be bringing kit. If my 176 skis are too long for you (and nobody has shorter) you might have to watch the kick turns,

lampbus, and dsoutar yet to answer but it seems there is no time everyone can do. Thursdays seem out but all except DrLawn can do Weekends, except all the next 3 weekends someone can't do each of them.
I'll wait for the last 2 to answer but I may have to let one or two down with the group and just arrange to show them privately.

DrLawn, could you manage a weekend if necessary or would it be better to just show you one Thursday morning?
snow report
I am only able to do Sat/Sun early or late...6/7 Oct.
snow report
Seems like it has to be Saturday 6th October at 8.00am (if people can do that early). Unfortunately that means a small group has got even smaller, but I can't see a way round it. Hope you can do then dsoutar

Looks like Thursdays are out, DrLawn. I like early on Thursdays so could easily show you how and fit in some skiing at the same time, if you can't make it on Saturday 6th. Would tomorrow do you or the Thursday after?

little ms spock, I feel really bad but I can't see how I could include you unless we go one week later on October 13th (but perhaps then someone else couldn't make it). I really don't like the crowd at weekends so unless I decide to go on a weekend snowheads meet I'm not going to be able to show you.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-09-12 10:41; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
I can do then (as far as I can tell)

There was a Cyclocross race on that day which I'd thought about doing, but to be honest, I'd rather be on skis than 2 wheels anyday Smile

The 13th is the weekend of the Cambrian Rally, so I'll be throwing myself and my off-road motorcycle at Welsh countryside then.
ski holidays
snowball, this sounds pretty good, can do 6 October. I have two pairs of quiver killered skis and skins for both with dynafit bindings that I swap between skis.
latest report
snowball, no problem. As I said earlier I'm not quite at the point where I'm likely to be attempting this in the wild, and I'm a titch so wouldn't be able to practice the more difficult bits anyway. I'm looking forward to a full video demo in a couple of weeks time.
snow report
snowball, I might be able to make 6th Oct. Do i have to to have my own kit?
snow report
ALQ, no, I think there will be plenty of kit available. Introducing those who haven't tried it to what is involved was the original point of my idea (which is why I am especially sorry little ms spock has been excluded). Really the basics are so easy and you don't have to be fit to do it, unless you do proper long distance touring. You just plod along at your own pace.

Looks like there may be 7 or 8 of us now! All welcome.

Pete seems happy for me to demonstrate it myself - not that I'm an expert, I just do it now and then. rob@rar, does this seem a bad idea? I suppose I'd better make sure I know how to adjust bindings for different boots - I'm not confident about that.
I don't think there is anyone bringing lightweight touring equipment - those coming seem to have heavier bindings for briefer skinning forays to find good snow - like me. A pity. Anyone who can help?

I have skis with Marker Baron bindings and (my clapped out old pair) with Fritschi Freeride bindings, plus 2 sets of skins (one very narrow from old straight skis - which I could use myself, I suppose) plus Tracker bindings which you can insert into normal bindings.
snow report
snowball, cool. See you then. For binding adjustment, you could ask the staff at the ski counter?
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
snowball, cool. See you then. For binding adjustment, you could ask the staff at the ski counter?

Or I'll bring a couple of screwdrivers..
snow conditions
snowball, I'll bring my Dynafit vertical ST bindings that are mounted to suit my mondo 28 boots but will adjust at least one mondo point either side of this if anyone wants to try them. Obviously, they do require compatible boots. I'm used to adjusting them and altering the release settings so no problem here.
snow report
I might stick the Vibrams on my Zzeus then Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy