Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I just bought some Black Crows all mountain skis (here: http://bit.ly/QWfJbL)

I'm 5ft 10.5in and 93kg. I have spent 9 weeks on snow and have my own boots (done at profeet last year) and consider myself an advanced, but not an expert skier who is quite aggressive. I have just had my job confirmed in Val Thorens for this coming season so was looking to buy some skis.

Having just ordered the 186cm version of the skis above at the advice of my brother, I'm having second thoughts as to whether the 179cm skis would be better. Indeed, I am 179cm in height. At the moment I ski mainly on-piste but obviously I want the flexibility of being able to ski off-piste too, if that makes any difference to the length.

Any advice?

Also, could someone recommend me some bindings? Very Happy

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure it would make a HUGE difference.. You're not a small chap, and you're an aggressive skier, so you'll probably handle the 186 okay.

I'm 5'8", 80kg and quite an aggresive skier too, and I'm on 182cm Movement Jams which are quite a stiff ski into the bargain, and I find them just fine.

What lengths were you skiing on before?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a similar height and size and last year I bought a pair of Volkl Gotama's in the 186 size. I had similar doubts. Trust me, when you're floating over all sorts of stuff that others are getting bogged down in, you'll be so glad you went for the longer ski. Even slush in late season becomes a pleasure. By the way, I put a pair of Tyrolia Peak 12's on mine (£63 from Ellis Brigham). Functional, cheap and light.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look on the makers websites. Many have advice on which of their skis are best for your ability, agressiveness, height and weight and indeed what skiing the skis are designed for

I am much shorter and lighter than you but the general rule with modern all-mountain skis is about your height or to eye-level. I am 169cmm and ski on 167cm skis. But as feef says if you are agressive you may be OK.

If you have done mainly piste the skis probably have a wider waist than you are use to. Following the link the skis are 9cm across at the waist (168cm version). You will need to be agressive on piste - - I cannot find the design turn radius via the link. Mine are 8.4cm across and take a bit more effort to turn on piste than my previous skis. The benefit of 9cm waist will be felt off piste - so give it a go but make sure you do it with safety in mind. Being 20+kg heavier and stockier than me plus probably more agressive you may find 186cm OK but I would have gone for 179cm if I were you

Bindings. No particular make but don't go for the cheapest - they are cheap for a reason. I have fischer X13 - and release due to force in multiple directions. Whatever you go for the din setting should ideally be somwhere in the mid range for the binding. So if they need to set it very low or very high its not the binding for you. Mine go from 4 to 12 on the din setting and are set at 7.5 - so right in the mid range.

Have a great season in Val T. Nearly always spend a week or two in the 3Vs so will be in VT myself at some point
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
crystaltips wrote:
I'm a similar height and size and last year I bought a pair of Volkl Gotama's in the 186 size. I had similar doubts. Trust me, when you're floating over all sorts of stuff that others are getting bogged down in, you'll be so glad you went for the longer ski.

You're not entirely comparing like with like, there. Take a look at the pic of the Gotama's profile here... you can see that it has lots of rocker. The Orbs that the OP got are apparently conventional camber skis; they'll presumably feel a little longer in firm snow as a result, and won't be so amenable to pivoting, etc.

As for bindings... there's loads out there. How much are you willing to pay? People say nice things about the Salomon STH Driver range (or Atomic FFG Team if you'd prefer a different colour; the 'team' and 'driver' qualifiers are important, incidentally) and Look Pivots (or Rossignol FKS), if your budget will stretch to fit them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One thing to remember is that they're a traditional cambered ski with no rocker so they will be skiing as long as they are. I dunno what you've skied previously but they are pretty long for a ski like that. For example the Gotma skis crystaltips mentions above are fully rockered so are considerably different in how they perform for the length. You'll definitely find them a step up if you've been hiring piste skis for your past experience.

Really any advice is a stab in the dark because we don't know how well you actually ski and I doubt anyone responding so far (myself included) has actually skied the Orb as Black Crows are a relatively small company.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh wrote:
One thing to remember is that they're a traditional cambered ski with no rocker so they will be skiing as long as they are. I dunno what you've skied previously but they are pretty long for a ski like that. For example the Gotma skis crystaltips mentions above are fully rockered so are considerably different in how they perform for the length. You'll definitely find them a step up if you've been hiring piste skis for your past experience.

+1

I'm the same height and only a little lighter than you but a much better skier (no offence) and spend most of my time in the 3V. I'd be taking the 179. I think you'll find the 186 hard work, especially in bumps, short turns and cruddy European off-piste that you don't have the experience to be 'blasting' through, to the point where they may actually hold back your all-round development. If you were doing a season in West/Central North America with lighter snow then maybe but not Europe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Forgot to mention that if you're doing a season you'll also almost certainly lose 5kg in weight...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:
Forgot to mention that if you're doing a season you'll also almost certainly lose 5kg in weight...

UNless you're a chalet girl or nanny wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Raceplate wrote:

UNless you're a chalet girl or nanny wink

Nannies have a different exercise for losing weight wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for everyone's advice. I have decided I'm going to change my order to the 179's. I didn't think about them being traditional cambered but from what's been said here it's clearly an important point!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3thr3e wrote:
Thanks for everyone's advice. I have decided I'm going to change my order to the 179's. I didn't think about them being traditional cambered but from what's been said here it's clearly an important point!

I agree with your decision, It what I was about to recommend.

Concentrate on skiing not partying for season , you will get so much more out of it. Your first winter season will pass so fast, don't miss it - you can party later Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy