Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa no longer free ski carriage ??

Poster: A snowHead
Their rules changed for bookings after 1st June. Can't really unravel what the new ones are. Normal luggage free up to 23 kg but the case mustn't exceed 158cm (ht+w+d). Sports equip can similarly go free if it's within that 23kg but do you have to fold the skis up to those dimensions ? Or are the dimensions put in abeyance for sports equipment ? . I have emailed them for clarification.
If we do have to pay for skis it looks like 50 euros each way so , if they aren't out to wreck the austrian ski resorts I hope their reply confirms that dimensions are flexible for ski bags even though weight is absolute.

They do give you 8kg in the cabin too.

At the moment Mcr to Munich in December just favours Monarch but their times don't suit and also if I want better legroom to match L/Hansa they will be £26 dearer.

Will advise of reply.....if and when received.

EDIT 14 Sept. Yes they are doing free skis but there is still confusion and it's worth reading thro this thread.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-09-12 22:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's always been a bit misleading, but this year seems a bit less clear than before.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/nl/info_and_services/baggage?nodeid=3331125&l=en&cid=1000327

^^that page says for economy: 1 bag upto 23kg + additional sports bag (1 ski bag)

Ski bag is defined as: 1 ski bag, 1 boot bag (may be different bag), 1 helmet

But you have to phone the hotline to book them on. My experience was to say "I'm checkin in 1 baggage, and 1 ski equipment", and then it's free, but saying "I've got 3 bags that need to be checked in" makes them get out the chart of fees. At geneva they didn't care - just all checked in no questions asked.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Farley Goode, I agree that the information on the Lufthansa website is quite confusing. I phoned them and got through to an adviser to ask about free ski carriage for bookings (for European destinations) after 1st June. She went off to speak to her boss and then came back to tell me categorically that for European bookings made after 1st June free ski carriage no longer applied and I would have to pay for ski carriage. However, this information was contradicted by their website on this page, which as you see clearly states "On Lufthansa flights you can take your ski equipment with you in addition to your defined free baggage allowance (not applicable on North Atlantic routes)" rolling eyes I therefore lodged a complaint via the Lufthansa website feedback stating that either their telephone advisors have been incorrectly briefed and are giving out incorrect information, or their website is incorrect! Evil or Very Mad

I received a reply from Lufthansa on 15th August as follows:

"Thank you very much for your e-mail dated 19 July 2012.

We are very sorry that you were disappointed in our service because the information provided by our call centre agent regarding the free baggage allowance was different from that available on our website.

Comprehensive and satisfactory guidance and support for our passengers is one of our great concerns. As a result we have conceptualised our service centre structures in such a way that a competent contact is available to you at any time. Likewise we have uniformly regulated selection criteria and training standards worldwide in order to ensure that our employees at all our service centres are qualified and well trained. We regret your unpleasant experience and ask you to accept our sincere apologies.

However we would like to confirm that for tickets issued before and after the 1 June 2012 1 ski bag is included in the allowance, except for North Atlantic routes.

We would be pleased to hear from you again in the future if there is cause for praise or criticism. Direct feedback from our passengers is always greatly appreciated as your comments and observations give us the chance to improve our services and ensure we do things better next time.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Yours sincerely,

Raffaella Argiulo-Jones

Lufthansa German Airlines
Customer Feedback
email: customer.feedback.eu@lufthansa.com"

Bottom Line: Free ski carriage (except for North Atlantic routes) is still included with Lufthansa for bookings made after 1st June 2012 Madeye-Smiley (although some of their telephone staff don't know that! rolling eyes )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you Alastair Pink. I was just about to have a fit after checking my booking and seeing it was made on 2nd June 2012 Mad But now Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowpony, Of course if you've not already done so as Andy said you need to phone them on the reservation hotline to tell them that you are taking skis with you (I think the number is 0871 945 9747).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I had only just realised this tonight!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

As a result we have conceptualised our service centre structures in such a way that a competent contact is available to you at any time. Likewise we have uniformly regulated selection criteria and training standards worldwide

Wow, that is some ugly English Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy, You got that chart from FAQs, stating that skis are a free addition to normal free baggage..
Believe it or not, their info from the Information drop down on the homepage is different and is what I initially posted (ie your ski stuff is free as long as it's within the free 23kg ).
Lufthansa is saying two different things !!
With my email query I couldn't find a heading for my problem so put it under another heading and they replied saying "not us mate, ring so and so" . I don't want to ring anyone --I want to see it in print. Alastair Pink, wrote an extract saying "On Lufthansa flights you can take your ski equipment with you in addition to your defined free baggage"....well I can't find those words ...they sound like last year's words though clearly Alistair has seen them this time.
The website is in disarray.
I will ring tomorrow, probably the number Alastair rang.
Oh I've just re-read Alastair's 4th parag of Lufty's letter and it says "one ski bag is included in the allowance " --what allowance ? the 23kg or the passenger's total allowance , ie additional to his 23 kg. Alastair is assuming the latter. I hope he is correct.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Farley Goode wrote:

Alastair Pink, wrote an extract saying "On Lufthansa flights you can take your ski equipment with you in addition to your defined free baggage"....well I can't find those words ...they sound like last year's words though clearly Alistair has seen them this time.

Why can't you find those words? - If you click on the link I gave in my post (the blue this page) it takes you straight to the current Lufthansa webpage from which I quoted those words Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agreed, Alastair but the baggage from the homepage Information dropdown will, on one route of enquiry, give my different interpretation. I can't do links so can't put it up. ( in fact I have retraced my steps and find it if, in Information, one jumps straight to the Special Baggage allowance that is where the contra information lies. That's what comes up also when you are three quarters of the way thro booking process and that's why I got it in the first place )
however, I have made my phone call and the very nice lady agreed there is a confusion and said they are re-writing that part of the website and she would forward my observation.

She also assured me, like you, and for my particular proposed flight, free skis are in order but of course I must ring up and confirm after booking. They are careful to say that for some flights involving partner airlines the weights and ski rules might be different but that's a separate herring.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 14-09-12 9:58; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Farley Goode, Thats my understanding too, certainly my skis are going FOC next February to MUC. Best way is to book the flights and then phone them straight away. They are brilliant to deal with.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, Brilliant, agreed and their auto information to callers is good, reminding me of my charges at 10p per min and giving queue length in seconds.
I have put an edit in brackets in my post above which pinpoints the area of dilemma.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I booked our flights a couple weeks ago and phoned to inform my skis would be travelling. They informed me that i had to check them in at the airport and this would incur a cost of an additional£50 ew.

So what we are saying is the call centre is wrong and i should contact them again or file a complaint online?
Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mattiwilkin, Never heard of that before, is it a 3rd party affiliate?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mattiwilkin wrote:
I booked our flights a couple weeks ago and phoned to inform my skis would be travelling. They informed me that i had to check them in at the airport and this would incur a cost of an additional£50 ew.

So what we are saying is the call centre is wrong and i should contact them again or file a complaint online?
Thanks

In a nutshell, yes. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I rang yesterday to confirm I was taking skis and was told by a very nice lady that they are indeed free of charge. It is only 50 euros if you want to take more than one ski bag per person!
latest report
snowpony, thats fair
latest report
mattiwilkin, I agree you should call them. It will highlight their website confusion and should get it resolved as well as getting you free ski carriage . I have an email following my contact to 0871 945 9747 and this confirms my skis are booked in free of charge. Ask for the very nice lady.
snow report
Farley Goode, Markymark29, snowpony, Just been onto Lufthansa, unfortunately have to cancel/rebook due to broken wrist - was told skis are free, must be within total 23kg baggage allowance, may be in a seperate bag and must conform to normal baggage rules, that is, bag (whatever type ski or otherwise) must be UNDER 158CM !! If the bag exceeds these limits then the e50 per leg will apply. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I just travelled on Lufthansa to Munich and back with a double ski bag that was 185cm long and contained one pair of skies, one pair of boots and enough toiletries and clothing for a girl for a long weekend skiing. I don't know the actual weight of the bag but it must have been approximately 23kg.

No issues whatsoever and no extra charge.

I highly recommend them as an airline based on my experience flying out Thursday and back on Sunday night.
snow conditions
Think there's a couple of threads on this topic now. The other one also mentioned the same confusion, so I'd keep getting replies from customer services until you get one which is right. ie 23kg plus skis, and no length limit on skis. Print it out and take it to the airport.

Maybe Alastair Pink will be along in a bit with his reply?
latest report
andy, Repost of what I wrote on this thread:

I sent a followup e-mail to Lufthansa and got this reply on 22nd October:

Subject: Your Lufthansa feedback, FB ID 21645221 -

Thank you for you e-mail dated 21 October 2012.

We are happy to provide you with the requested information in relation to the ski bag as part of the free baggage allowance.

As previously stated, for tickets issued after the 1st of June 2012 and excluding the North Atlantic routes, a passenger is permitted to carry one ski bag free of charge only if the item does not exceed 158cm (length + width + height).

However we are happy to inform you that there are some changes to the baggage allowance beginning from today. In particular, passengers will be allowed to carry their ski bag free of charge as an additional item, unless travelling to or from North America. (my italics)

For more information on this subject, please contact our reservation call centre.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Yours sincerely,

Raffaella Argiulo-Jones

Lufthansa German Airlines

My interpretation: Lufthansa realise they have screwed up on the wording on their website, so have quoted the 158cm restriction in para 3 of their e-mail to cover themselves, but then go on to say in the next para that they have now suddenly introduced "new changes" to do what they in practice always have done previously (ie carry adult size skis for free).

As suggested in their e-mail I called the reservation centre (on 0871 9459747) and spoke to a very helpful lady who confirmed that my skis were booked onto the flights, and that the 158cm dimensional restriction did not apply to the ski carriage. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 26-10-12 8:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Well done. I have printed out your posting (it is mainly pages3 4 and5 of the whole thread) and will take to the airport.
I had clarified the position in my mind but the lufty website seems to have changed again and if I were starting now I would be confused. But you have highlighted that there are changes from 21st October to confirm a free ski bag as an additional item. Hooray. I don't think the website has caught up with this yet. So it's not just the brits who can't run a railway !. (or airline in this case )
snow conditions
Just phone them up once you've booked and let them know you're taking skis so that it's lodged with your booking. [that's essential, don't just show up at the airport with your skis - you have to add them to your booking]
Job done.
Honest - there's nothing to worry about; just did it last weekend - couldn't have been smoother.
ski holidays
Just to update - I flew out from Birmingham to Munich on 26th Dec with my checked bag plus my ski bag (actually a plastic skitube thingy with wheels which is considerably longer than 158cm) with no problems whatsover. It's just that as previously said, their website is less than clear, and some of their own staff don't appear to know their own rules and give out incorrect information. rolling eyes Fortunately the fact that I able to type this post now indicates that the staff actually flying the aircraft are competent.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We just booked two pairs of skis onto a Lufthansa flight from Manchester to Munich - No charge. Flight booking was made in December.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Just to update - I flew out from Birmingham to Munich on 26th Dec with my checked bag plus my ski bag (actually a plastic skitube thingy with wheels which is considerably longer than 158cm) with no problems whatsover. It's just that as previously said, their website is less than clear, and some of their own staff don't appear to know their own rules and give out incorrect information. rolling eyes Fortunately the fact that I able to type this post now indicates that the staff actually flying the aircraft are competent.... Toofy Grin

Edit: And flying back from Munich yesterday also no problem.
ski holidays
Thought I'd just bump this thread for the upcoming season for general information and to hopefully avoid the usual confusion. I've just today booked myself a Lufthansa flight departing end of Jan 2014 from Birmingham to Munich for the princely sum of £99 return, and as usual this includes free ski carriage. Very Happy As per usual, after having booked I simply phoned the reservations on 0871 945 9747 to register that I was taking skis, and the helpful lady on the other end confirmed that she had entered the fact on their system. A few minutes later I received an e-mail confirming the "special baggage". Alles in Ordnung! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, Thanks for the update.
latest report
Book with Swiss Very Happy
snow conditions
This has reminded me. Really ought to look at booking flights for next season.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Book with Swiss Very Happy

If I'm skiing in Switzerland I usually do..... wink

But in this case I'll be skiing in Austria, so a direct flight from Birmingham (which is convenient for me) to Munich for £99 return including 23kg checked hold baggage allowance plus free ski carriage is pretty hard to beat.... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Swiss == Lufthansa
Everything will be a codeshare anyway.
latest report
Alastair Pink, did you use a discount code or anything to get such cheap flights? Birmingham to Munich is probably what I'll do too.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Alastair Pink, did you use a discount code or anything to get such cheap flights? Birmingham to Munich is probably what I'll do too.

queen bodecia, no discount code used - just go to the Lufthansa website and you'll see those prices (note that at that price though you can't cancel them and get any refunds if you are unable to fly).
ski holidays
queen bodecia, looks like you can book February's flights then! Remember I will pick you up on the Friday night again and you can fly back on the Sunday last plane out like last year! (so Friday 31st Jan outbound and Sunday 9th February inbound) - we should get 8 days skiing out of that lot! Toofy Grin ) We just have to get the March/April week sorted now! wink snowHead
snow report
Samerberg Sue, if that's OK with you, I'll book this weekend! Yay!

Alastair Pink, thanks, I certainly don't intend to cancel and I assume if it all goes pear-shaped somehow my travel insurance will part-recompense me.
ski holidays
Nggghh. I need to organize an end-March trip which doesn't involve being away on a Tuesday (concert on 4 April, absolutely cannot miss a rehearsal). Or do I do a full week immediately after the concert? Will I run into ankle-biters if I do that? Questions, questions...
snow report
queen bodecia, Go ahead and get the best possible deal you can. I'll be there with the snowHeads taxi to pick you up and then deliver you on time for the return flight. Hotel is all booked as well! snowHead
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I'm on it!

Pedantica, I'm hoping to get the last week in March off work too... wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy