Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Mail Ski Magazine's new website is ...

Poster: A snowHead
... errr ... 'a work in progress'?

http://www.skiandsnowboardmag.com

According to the 'monthly events listings' there are no events between the Daily Mail Ski Show in mid-October and the Turin Winter Olympics in Feb 2006. Should be a stunning ski season then!

The 'Members Zone' has quite the most imprenetrable registration process to access their discussion forum - has anyone achieved this yet? Can anyone brighter than me - i.e. a resident computerHead - enter it? Wear The Fox Hat must be in there, surely.

By far the best thing on the site is the 'Star Letter', which I guess is copied from the magazine itself. Here are the words of 'Mike Kew' (crazy name, crazy guy) of 'East Grinstead - and La Rosiere!' headlined 'Love in a Cold Climate' ...
Quote:
"While working as a ski host in La Plagne, I was sitting on a chairlift next to a guest, high above some craggy cliffs. Out of the blue, the small rucksack on the lady’s lap slipped under the bar. A second later, she slid off the seat following her bag. Instinctively, I grabbed and clung to her shoulder – only her head was above the bar. Gasps of horror came from the chairs behind.

I carefully secured my grip on her. It was scary and she quickly became heavy with skis and boots on, but I was convinced I could hold her until ...

If your breathless anticipation can't cope with the suspense (sic) ... ... click here.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-10-05 12:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A cynic would say that it was a made up story to push the chalet
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Give the man Kew his due ... he is clearly a love machine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
The 'Members Zone' has quite the most imprenetrable registration process to access their discussion forum - has anyone achieved this yet? Can anyone brighter than me - i.e. a resident computerHead - enter it? Wear The Fox Hat must be in there, surely.

Tell me about it!
I just completed stage one of the registration process, which then brought up an incorrect page.
Now I have to do it all over again...

Quote:

This area of the Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard Magazine is restricted access, available only to members and subscribers only. Content available from this page is exclusive, and can not be accessed unless you sign in.

The Member Forum - Important Notice

The Member's Message Forum however is hosted by a third party, and will take you away from this site and can be accessed/bookmarked without the need to sign into this site. In our members best interest, the settings for the forum are set to approving all new members, before they can post.

You will need to register again for the forum, this is a seperate registration to your members zone registration, as the forum is hosted by a third party. We therefore ask that in order to ensure your application to become a member of the message forum is trouble free, that you use the same sign up name that you have chosen for this Members Area, so that we can connect the two and authorise your application quickly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your Excellency, you may have more success writing the 'Star Letter'.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 5-10-05 12:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OK, made it past stage 2.
I've been sent an email with an activation key.
Now it says I have to wait for staff to review my details before letting me in.
In the mean time, I've browsed to the "gear review" section of the site, where I read this:

"Tenson is offering technical snow wear for the first time. "

Funny that, 4 years ago the DMSS staff were all wearing Tenson technical snow wear. I guess they have short term memory...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup that registration is busted. You'd think they'd road test things before they launch them on the unsuspecting punters.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, I have written a couple of letters for that magazine before. But therein lies a story which will remain off-line.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sir David English, founding ski genius of the Daily Mail is .... dead.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the 2 competitions filled in and in the post. Dam I wasn't going to tell you lot Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy, if you aren;t a subscriber to the magazine, you've got a good chance...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's that supposed to mean? Their subscribers are too thick to win anything?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I deserve to win although if asked I think I'll go for Whistler rather than Arinsal Very Happy (Not a suscriber, so I must be smart?)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, it's not supposed to mean anything. Just a remark.

On a TOTALLY DIFFERENT TOPIC ALTOGETHER:
Is it better marketing to give a prize to someone who is already signed up to your company, and sending you money regularly, or to give a prize to someone who you would like to sign up?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Being a Daily Mail Ski Magazine subscriber is the greatest prize of all.
latest report
Let's get back to Mike Kew, star letter-writer of the magazine. I'm convinced (but please don't tell him) that his name is part of an extended knock-knock joke:

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Mike"
"Mike who?"
"No, Mike Kew"
"Mike Kew?"
"Yes, Mike Kew at weekends in many popular ski areas"
ski holidays
Did they really spell seperate(sic) like that?
snow report
They must have done because The Ambassador's spelling is impeccable.
It's no good having a go at them, Alan. This is on the home page:
Quote:
dmg world media (uk) ltd endeavours to ensure that the information is correct but does not accept any liability for error or omission.

A couple of years ago a close friend of mine bought the Daily Mail Ski Magazine, because it said "Free tickets for Ski Show" on the front cover. The magazine contained no free tickets.

Was this an error ... or an omission?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, it was free tickets for week days at the show if you buy full price tickets first (IIRC)
ski holidays
... which wasn't mentioned to unsuspecting buyers, such as my very close friend. He told me he was so upset he rang Henry, the Editor.
snow report
Don't knock their letter writers...I was star letter of the month last season and won a ski boardgame (name escapes me) as a result.

They didn't publish my article though....my chance of fame...gone.
ski holidays
By the way, here are three other UK ski magazine sites to compare with the Daily Mail effort:

Dark Summer [has a forum]
Fall-Line Skiing
Snow magazine

Any I've missed?
Might be interesting to add any snowboard magazine sites for comparison, too.
ski holidays
rungsp, Schuss?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, isn't there a club which produces a magazine and has a forum? Laughing
latest report
I'm currently the 4th highest poster there, after only 10 minutes, and have already managed a gratuitous picture of my Pistols, and a mention of the EpicSki Academy. Now all I have to do is get a mention in for snowHeads... Laughing
snow report
Hat, the Ski Club of Great Britain's magazine 'Ski and Board' had an autonomous website - www.skiandboard.co.uk - with a separate forum to the Club's forum, but this URL now connects directly to www.skiclub.co.uk

But I'm not sure if you were referring to the Ski Club of Great Britain. You might have been referring to The Jockey Club.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, and your next challenge is to turn the that forun into a replacement for JWAZZ!
snow conditions
I've remembered...the game is called "Schuss"

Anybody played it? Still unopened at my house...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, yup. It's rather dull. The most exciting thing about it was the email I received from the makers last week that was CC'd to about 150 addresses. I'm still waiting to hear if they've gone beyond the DPA on that one.
snow report
boredsurfin, it's a bit heavily moderated for that!

But I have managed to get a link to snowHeads in a post now as well!
snow report
I hope Henry's pleased with your efforts. The log-in is still failing me, so your link to snowHeads will have no influence on me personally.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, go here:
http://dmss.proboards43.com/index.cgi

And try logging in from there. (you'll need to set up a username and password for it, then they will mail you, then you wait a couple of hours before they let you in)
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
... errr ... 'a work in progress'?

Well, I'm not going to argue with that! A lot more nice big photos are needed for a start. And farming out the forum to another company has complicated matters too much. What did you think of Sean Newsom's piece ("Soapbox")?
Of the others you found, Snow probably has the best site IMHO - well done Graeme Spratley!
To be fair, Snow and Dark Summer are free give-away mags so they don't have to "keep anything back" for the paper issue. Priced mags obviously have to "tease" with the website without giving away so much copy that no-one needs to buy the mag! (I notice www.skimag.com in the US do the same with their ski test.)
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Let's get back to Mike Kew, star letter-writer of the magazine. I'm convinced (but please don't tell him) that his name is part of an extended knock-knock joke:

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Mike"
"Mike who?"
"No, Mike Kew"
"Mike Kew?"
"Yes, Mike Kew at weekends in many popular ski areas"

"Mike Kew to exit stage left"?
ski holidays
Just tried to register but when I clicked "Send" it says I'm referencing a non-existent page!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy