Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Train

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone gone by train to Bourg recently? (I'm talking day train by the way.)

Any good for families? Better/worse than flying?

Any experiences and thoughts welcome.

Cheers all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I pretty much exclusively use the train for skiing now, either the direct eurostar day train or taking a eurostar to Paris and then getting an overnight sleeper with couchettes or a normal TGV if travelling during the day depending on price and my schedule. They're all great options when travelling with children and once you factor in the cheap transfer due to arriving so close to the resort it's about the same cost as flying and so much more pleasant. I'm sure others prefer flying, but the train suits me.

The best place to get information and details about your options is http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/

http://seat61.com/ is another extremely useful site, but much broader in scope.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did it last year (tho not with kids). It's great. So much more civilised than flying from any of the London airports. No luggage check-in hassles, and you can bring food and drink with you without any issues. Plenty of room in standard class, and first class is positively luxurious. Nice, short transfers at the other end, too, which is good if any of your lot get travel sick on coaches.

If you can get to St Pancras relatively easily, then in my opinion it's by far the best option for any of the Tarantaise resorts. We're travelling that way again in January.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with kieranm and Maireadoconnor that it's the least stressful way to get to the Tarentaise, especially if you have an easy journey to St Pancras. I've not done the night-time Eurostar service, but the day-time service is very pleasant.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What all the others said + if you use the snow train you usually get another two days skiing compared to flying. And you can take your own food and drink (within reason), champers, smoked salmon and truffles from the M&S in StP really hits the spot compared to airline/airport food. And if you are taking ski's/boots it's MUCh easier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all - though Ratty, how do you get another two days in? I can't see how it can be any quicker (just more pleasant and possibly cheaper)? Am I missing something, though?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RattytheSnowRat, northernsoulboy, you can only get extra days skiing if you do a night train option. Great but lots of hassle with baggage and accommodation, not so much with the train itself although it is tiring as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah - yes, of course Tom. Thanks. 20 years ago, maybe, but now I'm too tired and the kids make it a no go!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northernsoulboy wrote:
Ah - yes, of course Tom. Thanks. 20 years ago, maybe, but now I'm too tired and the kids make it a no go!

Don't you (and they) like couchettes then? Just sleeping your way to the Alps. Or is it the metro or taxi in Paris you don't like?
Worth it for 2 extra days of skiing with no extra nights in hotels.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The "night train" leaving London Friday afternoon/evening (change to a sleeper in Paris) , gets you to BSM about 06:30 in the morning, or it did when the dinosaurs roamed the Grand Massif and I last took it. You can be in your resort in time for breakfast, although they almost certainly won't have your room ready for you yet. You can ski most/all day on the first Saturday.

On the last Saturday, we packed our bags and dumped them in the bag store. We had a perfect powder day, with just us and the lifties on the slopes. Presumably the snow had prevented the French holiday makers getting up the hill early. We skied till mid afternoon, used the showers in the bottom of the apartment block, collected our luggage and then had a very civilized and leisurely journey home.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball,

If getting to St. Pancreas isn't quick & easy the the train is a less appealing option. If I traveled into London on the train, for 4 of us it would cost £200 and take 3 hours on Friday, and 7 hours on Sunday to get home again. I would have to park at the local station costing another £20ish as there would be no chance of getting a taxi at that time on a Sunday night on the way home, take all day Friday off work(and at my age probably Monday to recover as well) etc etc.

You just don't do all that with kids!

When I lived in Berkshire it was a whole different ball game, but then Heathrow was also only 30mins down the road as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher, Try flying to Paris and getting the train from there. Ok it is really just a transfer, but at least a transfer with bunks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE,

Think I'll stick to flying to Austria/Switzerland thanks. Their trains are even better wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
train's the best and three things for sure :

1. no extra charge for luggage
2. no lost luggage
3. more ski-ing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
northernsoulboy wrote:

Don't you (and they) like couchettes then? Just sleeping your way to the Alps. Or is it the metro or taxi in Paris you don't like?
Worth it for 2 extra days of skiing with no extra nights in hotels.

I literally cannot sleep on any form of transport without some kind of pills (I've flown to Australia a number of times and tried and failed to sleep, in business with seats that go all the way back). Can't take pills with kids around so...
ski holidays
We've been taking our son skiing by train since he was 10 months old. He is now 10. He loves the train ride to the alps and regards it as part of the holiday. He is a bit put out that we will have to drive this season as we are going for two weeks and need the car to get from one resort to the other.

The daytime Eurostar to Moutiers/Bourg is a very relaxing way to travel. The only downside is that it arrives late afternoon so usually one gets to the resort a little too late to get to the ski hire shop, meaning a rush to get skis before ski school the next morning.

We tried the overnight direct Eurostar pre children and it was ok in first class..although even there the seats don't recline fully. Have not yet tried it with children.

If you have children under 5 the Eurostar is free (or was when we last booked it) for them. If you travel in first class the seats are wide enough to squeeze the child without an allocated seat between you, and you can enjoy the complimentary lunch and wine.

We live near Gatwick/Heathrow but haven't flown to a skiing holiday for a long time. Whilst flying is quicker I don't like hanging around at airports, baggage restrictions or long coach transfers the other end.
snow report
If you live where we do (35 mins from leeds bratfud airport but 3:30 from kings x) then skiing by train is, sadly, a no no. It's more expensive (half term - we got flights for £120 each) and as others have said it's massively more time and with school on Friday no more skiing.

Shame - i'd love to do it.
latest report
andy from embsay,

It's a great way of doing it, but not with young kids, and not if you live hours from London. I really miss it - esp. as it used to be cheaper than flying as well!
snow report
It's a great way to travel IMO if you are in the vicinity. It's not cheap though these days is it. We (family with kids) drive because of a combination of cost and convenience, with arguably some loss of comfort. I have some happy memories of my training it in my early years of skiing!
snow report
When I was young (I'm talking the 50s) my parents always took me skiing by overnight train (well, there wasn't a cheap flying option then). I loved it, but of course it was the proper sleeper with compartments for 2 with wash basin = and they were in pairs with a door between that could be unlocked - giving a family a lovely space. I gather they do still exist but probably horribly expensive.
snow conditions
Did the Eurostar to Moutier this Feb - best way I have ever travelled to the Alps....it was the overnight, got train from Leeds to London on Fri afternoon - 2hours 20 mins. Then in Meribel for 6.30am Sat morning.

No worrying about your skis/boards coming through baggage, no waiting around forever for airport parking/flights/transfers - I would do it every time if I could.

That said - we were a largish group of late 20s/30s and were drunk and noisy and hacked a few people off...
snow conditions
Quote:

The "night train" leaving London Friday afternoon/evening (change to a sleeper in Paris) , gets you to BSM about 06:30 in the morning, or it did when the dinosaurs roamed the Grand Massif and I last took it.

Did the same thing, also many years ago. Was fine with two adults - bus across Paris, tea with my friend the British Ambassador, pleasant evening meal in a bistro, civilised night travel in a compartment with 4 young Italians who wanted to sleep. BUT very little room for luggage (basically you sleep with it - I used rucksack as a pillow and had skis along the wall of the couchette). Take a bottle of water but try not to put your bladder under pressure - these days I'd probably have to climb down from my top (of 3) bunk and find the loo. It's a long night, lots of shunting. That Betjeman poem about the night train kept racketing around my head.

Very cheap local bus from Aime - we were away well before the TO coaches. Our separately booked chalet (basic Ski World job in Plagne 1800) gave us breakfast and a place for luggage - very helpful.

Don't think I'd do it with very little kids, but with those old enough to get on and off buses and carry at least some stuff themselves, would be a good way to go. I've done night sleeper travel with kids aged 3 and 5 in Africa, and they loved it, but that involved very little luggage.
snow conditions
Quote:

Think I'll stick to flying to Austria/Switzerland thanks. Their trains are even better wink

When I first started using the snow train there used to be two trains waiting at Calais, one went to Bourg st Maurice and the other to Austria. My wife's first ski holidays were all by train to Switzerland. But the aircraft and the motor car have been invented since then (and plastic ski boots).

We did the night sleeper from when our son was only a year old. Changing nappies in the couchette was not the most popular activity in the world. And the vast amount of luggage involved had to be seen to be believed. I am afraid that driving is the best way to take young children skiing.
latest report
snowball,

I think the choices are a six birth with the pigs & chickens, or a 4 birth in first class these days.

johnE,

I haven't ever driven with mine - bad enough taking them to Scotland, but flying is certainly OK if you do it right and the transfers either end aren't excessive. We did do Livigno a couple of times when junior was very young, but we decided that was definitely not on when the mushette arrived as well. A 4 hour+ coach transfer is not good with nappy changing etc.
snow conditions
The drive was always very easy. He would be asleep after only a few miles from home. Wake up, just, for the ferry, and again unerringly around Albertville. It was walking through Gatwick with a trolley loaded to the hilt, ski bags over each shoulder, baby strapped to the front, that I had the epiphany and realised that the human did not make a good beast of burden.
ski holidays
Took the Eurostar option to Bourg last season, was far better than taking the coach to Tignes, and as others have said no ridiculous baggage charges and shorter transfers! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

a six birth with the pigs & chickens

that sounds distinctly unpleasant!
latest report
Quote:

RattytheSnowRat, northernsoulboy, you can only get extra days skiing if you do a night train option. Great but lots of hassle with baggage and accommodation, not so much with the train itself although it is tiring as well.

errrr, yeah - but that's what we are talking about isn't it - the Snow Train? Out early Friday, back after skiing finishs on the following Sat. = +2 days. Try to do that by plane with kids and it's a nice little trick.

Last time I went I took four pairs of ski's and two pairs of boots plus all the other associated gear. No one blinked an eye. Try doing that on a plane and see how far it gets you.

Admittedly you do get leedssteve and his ilk but I have a little trick that opens the doors whilst the train is in motion. When they find the bodies they assume that they have fallen off the train trying to get into the UK. Seriously - I get that problem on planes more frequently and if you choose your train compartment carefully it's not an issue.

Take some decent ear plugs and an eyecover. I take a fleece and use that as a pillow. Follow this sage advice and Robert, if not your uncle, is a close family friend.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy