Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

small resort near La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

OH and I are spending a week in La Tania in Feb, with friends. We're thinking of flying out a few days earlier, and skiing 2-3 days in another resort first.

We're looking for with few queues and quiet slopes, to build some confidence and remember how to ski before the following week. It doesn't need to be a big place, in fact a small resort with enough greens, blues and reds for a couple of days would be ideal. We're very happy to ski the same run several times.

Nightlife is not important, although a bar or two for apres would be nice.

Ideally it would be somewhere reachable by public transport of some sort from Geneva, and where we could get onward transport to La Tania. We would consider hiring a car, but would still want somewhere not too far from La Tania.

I was looking at Sainte Foy, but wasn't sure if there would be enough accessible to skiers of my level. I enjoy playing around between pistes, which is why it appeals, but wouldn't want to do so on anything steeper than a red gradient.

thanks for your suggestions
Jane
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In terms of the skiing you are looking for I'd say Les Saisies, La Clusaz or la Rosiere would suit. Les Saisies probably the best in terms of the skiing you are looking for but I think you'd need to hire a car to get there. I think you could probably get to la clusaz from Geneva by train and bus. If there is a way of getting by train from Geneva to Bourg st maurice, there are buses from Bourg to La rosiere. Then you would be able to get the bus back to bourg, train to moutiers and bus up to la Tania. I think I'd hire a car in your position!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
janeed, few queues and quiet slopes, La Tania sounds ideal to be honest, scoot over to 1650 for a day as well.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
janeed, if you are looking for somewhere very close, small and quiet, have a look at Pralognan la Vanoise. Otherwise Champagny? I think that both these resorts can be reached by bus from Bozel (but would need to check), and there is a ski bus service from Bozel up to La Tania (via La Praz) so I'm pretty sure the trip could be done from Geneva with public transport in the form of rail/bus or just bus. Whilst Pralognan is a small resort with some nice blues, it's got a few fantastic reds and a couple of serious blacks. Absolutely stunning scenery and a couple of lovely places to eat up on the hill, and some bars & cafes in town for apres. Although from Champagny, you can access more skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Pralognan - although some of the tracks linking the different areas can be narrow and icy.

Another option might be Valmorel. A bigger resort with mostly wide easy pistes that would be great for warming up on. Also links to St Francoise Longchamp if you want to go further afield. Not sure about public transport to La Tania but it's not so far so a taxi wouldn't be out of the question. Hiring a car might be the easiest option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Tania

Seems to tick most boxes, then much less pfaffing about at change over day, plus you'll have the lie of the land sorted out for when you're mates come out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski and bertie bassett have it.

La Tania is already perfect.

altis' suggestion of Valmorel is a good one as it's pretty much en-route, not very far from La Tania, and if not public trasnport then certainly taxiable (or hitch!).

Someone said La Clusaz. I've said elsewhere that I don't think it's everso good for 'improvers' (sorry if I've misunderstood your level). Wet-behind-ears beginners yes, confirmed red-runners yes. Inbetweeners, not so much. The blues have tricky spots (and are quite busy), and the long greens are of the 'not wide enough to make a turn' bridleway through the woods variety.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would say La Tania as well .......seems to fit perfectly... Valmorel is close enough and a lovely place to spend a few days
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds a lovely excuse to visit Pralognan. I am jealous.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As others have suggested, the three closest resorts that fit your description are
- Champagny. Links into La Plagne and just across the valley from La Tania.
- Pralognan la Vanoise. Further up the valley.
- Valmorel. Close to Moutiers so again not far from La Tania.

Another one to consider would be the resorts dotted along the Maurienne Valley. Although geographically very close to La Tania (you can ski from Orelle to La Tania across the 3V for example) it would be a bit more awkward to get there by road. I think the biggest is Valloire/Vallmeinier but other little resorts like La Norma or Bonneval sur Arc or getting a pass (Maurienne Sans Frontiers: http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/uk/il4-maurienne,move_p38-smsf-skipass.aspx) that lets you ski a number of different resorts in that area, might suit you well. I've not skied any of these, but would like to one day, and they are reportedly very quiet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I live for the day that Courcheval and Tignes are linked to the Paridiski and all these distinctions become just a faded memory. There has to be some way to link up Courchevel 1850 and Chamberanger! Make it happen, French people!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ratty: I think the Vanoise national park was formed to essentially prevent that happening.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RattytheSnowRat, get some skins m8 and you'll find they already are Wink

kieranm, whilst the SMSF pass is good I think it will represent poor value in this case as you have to buy 8 days in one chunk for €144. At least, that's what it was this year. Previously, it was valid for 5 days.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995912

We like the Maurienne so much that we went back this summer to do some walking. But in winter, with the Col de la Madeleine looking like this, it's a bit of a long trek round to La Tania!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies.

I hadn't really considered spending the full time in La Tania, but maybe it would be worth it. Hmm

Some of those other suggestions sound great too. I'm away this week, but will research fully when I get back. Pralognan in particular sounds lovely.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
janeed, we've 'spoken' before, so if you decide to arrive in La Tania early, drop me a line and I can check availability in our Chalet-Hotel - we do offer flexible stays here.
latest report
kieranm, The Vanoise National Park was created to protect the Ibex but it does now means that the area cannot be developed.

janeed, Both Pralognan and Champagny match your requirements, I think the Pralognan pass is pretty cheap and you can just buy the Champagny lift pass rather than the La Plagne or Paradiski pass if you want to keep the cost down. You can catch a train or bus from Geneva to Moutiers, the train is cheaper but usually more hassle. You can then catch the bus to Pralognan, it stops on the way at Champagny.
To travel from either Champagny or Pralognan you just need to catch the bus to Moutiers and get off at Bozel, then take the free bus up to Courchevel. I think it will go to La Tania, if not you will just have to get off at Le Praz and hitch a lift or pay for a taxi.
ski holidays
skichampcouk, There is a free bus between Le Praz and La Tania and I think the bus from Bozel goes to La Tania as well.

TBH Train and bus is a bit of a ball ache I'm sure a shared transfer would be your way forward.

Andy
ski holidays
janeed,
Quote:

I was looking at Sainte Foy, but wasn't sure if there would be enough accessible to skiers of my level. I enjoy playing around between pistes, which is why it appeals, but wouldn't want to do so on anything steeper than a red gradient.

There is plenty of stuff to do in Ste Foy that fits with what you are looking at, if you have not skied there before its well worth the time to visit.

Public transport route back from Ste Foy to La Tania would be a bus from Ste Foy to Bourg Saint Maurice and then onward from there, we have always driven so can not be much more helpful sorry Embarassed
ski holidays
Champagny is a lovely village and some good skiing. It can get rather patchy coming down later on in season but you should be fine in February. Not skied in Pralognan yet but hope to this season coming but again would be a good option.
snow report
altis,

Unfortunatley you've got to have giuide or do that 'fluffy bunny' course they run before you can go anywhere near the route (plans afoot for Tignes Le Lac from Grand Col (LesArcs 2000)). I need to to the course but they do not run it a lot and it gets filled up quick - next time I hope!

p.s. you get pinched up there without a guide/course pass, it's VERY expensive ....

I once drove across from Italy to Bourg St Maurice over that pass after going through the Mont Blanc tunnel (it looked like the shortest route on the map and I figured the traffic would be light. OK - I'm an idiot, but the traffic was light. Apart from some woman running on her own and the odd cyclist. I don't think we saw anyone else.) It was only when we got down on the French side hours later we found out the pass was closed (signed as such in BStM - someone forgot to tell the Italians).
snow report
RattytheSnowRat,

As far as I know the mountain pass Col de Petit St Bernard has never opened in winter.

If you want to try it in winter it is Run No. 7, call San Bernardo, of the La Thuile skiing resort.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
RattytheSnowRat,

As far as I know the mountain pass Col de Petit St Bernard has never opened in winter.

If you want to try it in winter it is Run No. 7, call San Bernardo, of the La Thuile skiing resort.

The road is closed in the Winter and normally opens again mid-late May.
snow report
Just to update this we are going for 3 days in Pralognan before the week in La Tania.

Thankf or all the comments. We'll look into the public transport options suggested. Does anyone know a company that offer shared transfers who would drop off at Pralognan?

It looks like a taxi from Pralognan to La Tania might not break the bank. Has anyone done it?

thanks
snow report
You can catch the bus to Moutiers from Pralognan and get off at Bozel. From there you can either catch the free bus up to La Tania or take a taxi.
Visit www.altibus.com for times and prices of the bus from Pralognan to Bozel / Moutiers. You could also catch the bus from Geneva to Moutiers and then up to Pralognan if you can't find any shared transfers.
You could also ask theskibug, how much he charges to Pralognan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy