Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If the Swiss are worried...

Poster: A snowHead
It's not surprising that more money is required, I've just picked my season pass up and in the small print it informs me for every season pass purchased they're donating 1 franc to the Bernese Oberland Ski Assoc' for junior sports. I'm fairly sure we can do better Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ise, Shocked That seems to be a rather pitiful donation. So how many season passes are sold (ish)?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Few commercial enterprises will 'tax' people on matters of free choice. The national Swiss campaign is better, since it enables people to donate as an expression of free choice.

Governments can, of course, subsidise sport.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Directly or indirectly you are being 'taxed' in one way or another... whenever you buy a lift pass in French resorts, for example. Built into the pricing structure is the lift companies' involvement in competitive ski racing on a local and national level, through partnerships with the French Ski Federation (involving some financial support), and local sponsorships with donations to clubs and regional associations. When you holiday in a French resort, some of the 'tourist tax' collected by the local authority goes towards subsidies of local associations, including the ski clubs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

Few commercial enterprises will 'tax' people on matters of free choice

I do think that is happening with some companies. I have stayed in a chalet that gave a % of it's profits to the Scottish ski team. At least 1 of the big TO's was making a donation for tree planting with each booking, last year...might have been Crystal, but don't quote me. And then there is the "Respect the Mountain" green wristbands sold by SCGB ( a commercial enterprise), not being a member I could'nt tell you what they are funding, but do the SCGB, tell all their members where their membership money goes, ie: who benefits.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowbunny - Yes they do - as a limited company they publish annual accounts and members can attend the AGM and ask questions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
Few commercial enterprises will 'tax' people on matters of free choice. The national Swiss campaign is better, since it enables people to donate as an expression of free choice.

What a strange world you live in Very Happy If you read a few company reports you'll see they're dispensing money to all kinds of people and causes that their customers don't support and most certainly didn't choose.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny wrote:
ise, Shocked That seems to be a rather pitiful donation. So how many season passes are sold (ish)?

Good question, another good question is why money from day passes and week passes isn't apparently being donated according to the lift company literature at least. My pass appears to be number 98 but there's another few weeks before the discount period runs out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise,
Quote:

Good question, another good question is why money from day passes and week passes isn't apparently being donated according to the lift company literature at least.

It seems more logical to me that day tickets and weekly passes would generate more turnover for the lift companies, and this would be where a donation could be more easily borne by them. But what do I know, I'm not in the lift company business Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

Good question, another good question is why money from day passes and week passes isn't apparently being donated according to the lift company literature at least.

It seems more logical to me that day tickets and weekly passes would generate more turnover for the lift companies, and this would be where a donation could be more easily borne by them. But what do I know, I'm not in the lift company business Very Happy

I'd have thought so as well but on the lift map it only says season tickets. Personally I rather hope weekly pass holders are subsiding local ski clubs and my season pass Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Personally I rather hope weekly pass holders are subsiding local ski clubs and my season pass Very Happy

Yes but it's swings and roundabouts! From the ski club's point of view (unsurprisingly) it makes perfect sense for the lift company and resort to subsidise them. After all, the resorts are the first to profit from a local racer's success, using the name for promotional purposes (La Plagne = J.L. Cretier's resort, Carole Montillet = Villard de Lans, etc).

Then by virtue of attracting more visitors to the resort, the lift company makes more money, is better able to invest in infrastructure and facilities for locals like yourself... so your 1 SF investment eventually works out to your advantage! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise,
Quote:

Personally I rather hope weekly pass holders are subsiding local ski clubs and my season pass

Ski clubs need support, definitely. You though, already have a discounted season pass, and could survive without my extra subsidy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

Personally I rather hope weekly pass holders are subsiding local ski clubs and my season pass

Ski clubs need support, definitely. You though, already have a discounted season pass, and could survive without my extra subsidy Very Happy

No, minion level income's not so very high, anyway I'm paying for the roads and various infrastructure the weekly visitors use so it's only fair.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:

Then by virtue of attracting more visitors to the resort, the lift company makes more money, is better able to invest in infrastructure and facilities for locals like yourself... so your 1 SF investment eventually works out to your advantage! wink

1 chf for day pass, 2 or 3 on a week and 10 or 20 on a season seems more sensible. Just the one franc seems a bit miserly really Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise,
Quote:

anyway I'm paying for the roads and various infrastructure the weekly visitors use so it's only fair.

And I will be paying my taxes as a visitor, and also helping to fund the roads with an annual vignette, which, as a resident gives you benefit. Oh, and I will be paying Swiss income tax as well. So perhaps, you, should be subsidising me for not making full use of the available infrastructure. The clubs still need better quality funding though. Very Happy
latest report
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

anyway I'm paying for the roads and various infrastructure the weekly visitors use so it's only fair.

And I will be paying my taxes as a visitor, and also helping to fund the roads with an annual vignette,

vignettes are for the motorway only of course.
snow report
ise,
Quote:

vignettes are for the motorway only of course

But of course.

So, I'm assuming here, that you agree with the rest of my post, and I look forward to receiving my subsidy from you, based on the reasons listed earlier. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy