Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tires or Chains for 1 month skiing morzine ???? help please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys and gals,

I am new to the forum and hope you can help, i am going skiing for one month from feb 24th till march 24 in morzine france 2013. The big question is do i need to get snow tires for the duration or can i get away with just getting chains ? its a new 2012 VW Golf front wheel drive.

We dont plan on using it much, just for the road trip down there from the UK and to pop down the shops, maybe a quick visit to a different resort.

Can any one help ?

thanks
Simon

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-09-12 13:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Firstly, It doesn't matter what the duration is, it just a good or bad luck plus your experience driving on the snow/ice.

Secondly, contrary to wide belief, chains are not substitute for winter tyres. Chains are fitted in your case on front wheels not on all four.
It means you have a serious risk loosing control over your vehicle with rear tyres hardened and their traction decreased. This is especially true on mountain serpentine roads.

Third, chains are not usable on roads where snow is cleared, which means you will be left with summer tyres in possibly serious sub-zero temperatures. Again winter tyres could posssibly save your life in such conditions.

So, as a person coming from a coutry with proper winters, I strongly suggest fitting winter tyres.

Also, whatch some vides on youtube on how to control your car on snow roads, if you haven't got much experience with that.

Oleksii
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both.

You need winter tyres for general safe driving and this may mean you rarely touch your chains.

However, id it snows heavily (fingers crossed) you will find that the gendarmes will be enforcing chain use. Which could lead to a disappointing day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't forget, winter tyres and snow tyres are not the same thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you aren't going to *need* your car each day then just go with the chains. If the roads are snowy, then don't use your car: take the bus or walk instead.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, +1 and not forgetting it is Morzine in March
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, you won't be breaking any laws in France if you don't have winter tyres. The best probably would be to wait till closer to your trip, then research the road conditions in the area you are going to and forecast for the time of your trip. You may or may not need better traction, most likely not as it's the end of February you are talking about, but it's a bit too early to tell.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For what you describe, chains when appropriate will be fine.

But, if you can stretch to winter tyres, you will notice the difference in cold and wet weather, and any snow we get in UK over winter. Decent winter tyres will get you over snow covered roads which will have 4*4 on summer tyres heading for the ditch
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW, +2 We managed very easily for a full season with just chains Admitted this was St Gervais which is a) is a main through route to Les Contamines/Megeve so is very conscientiously cleared and b) is at 850m . Not having tyres and the faff of chains probably altered our plans on two, maybe three occasions in 6 months. Clearly if you can run to winter tyres all to the good but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW wrote:
If you aren't going to *need* your car each day then just go with the chains. If the roads are snowy, then don't use your car: take the bus or walk instead.

+1

Morzine resort is only 1000m. At that time of year you're not likely to need chains very often if at all. Just take some snow socks or Michelin easygrip composite chains - much less hassle to put on than metal chains and very good for occasional use (some people will slag these off as not very durable but they are absolutely fine for what you want).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW, +2 We managed very easily for a full season with just chains Admitted this was St Gervais which is a) is a main through route to Les Contamines/Megeve so is very conscientiously cleared and b) is at 850m . Not having tyres and the faff of chains probably altered our plans on two, maybe three occasions in 6 months. Clearly if you can run to winter tyres all to the good but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At odds with what a few other have said but I'd go winter tyres. Remove a huge amount of potential hassle (and potential danger) and if you have them you'll probably not need to use the chains at all ... although you will still need to have them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will this count as the first winter tyre /snow chain question of the winter
Just need the other regulars to appear

Joking aside I would go with the winter tyres even in March
Mrs Gs will going back on her car end of October
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check out the performance of winter (snow) tyres below 7C.

Advisable even in a Scottish summer... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simonduck, you'll need chains either way. So if funds are really tight, you could certainly manage without snow tyres. They do make life far easier, but with a little practice chains aren't too big a hassle. And if you are just going to go shopping now and again, or to another resort, you can choose your days when the roads are clear - it's not as if you are going to be doing regular transfer driving, or similar, with no choice about getting on the road whatever the conditions.

But you can, indeed, use them all winter, and they are definitely better anywhere once the temperature is low, snowy or not. It would be nice to have the confidence that the car is going to get you there. Otherwise the only sensible thing is to err on the side of caution, and you'll be putting the chains on and off a lot. Knowing when to take them off is often harder than knowing when to put them on.
snow report
You don't put chains when there is no fresh snow on the road, but you may still need better traction that winter tyres provide. On roads clean of snow chains will make the car feel as if it has square wheels:)
snow report
never summer, And destroy the road and the chains (and is probably illegal..)
latest report
Did a whole season on winter tyres in morz- used chains once in December and once in early Feb
ski holidays
Winter tyres are like insurance: a complete waste of money, until you need them and which point them become invaluable and you bask in your good judgement as you glide past drivers struggling to keep their car on the road.
snow report
 cran
cran
under a new name wrote:
you will find that the gendarmes will be enforcing chain use. Which could lead to a disappointing day.

If you have winter tyres they will let you through without putting chains on.
snow report
 cran
cran
rob@rar wrote:
Winter tyres are like insurance: a complete waste of money

Not really, they work out cheaper once you have them. They are not just for snow, you can use them in a UK winter too. The rubber stays soft in colder conditions and they give better winter grip even when it's not snow/ice on the road.

Since I've been using winter tyres I've saved money as my summer tyres last twice as long and the winter tyres are much cheaper (same diameter, but smaller rims and narrower width).
snow conditions
cran, selective quoting, does then say

Quote:

until you need them and which point them become invaluable and you bask in your good judgement as you glide past drivers struggling to keep their car on the road.
latest report
cran wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Winter tyres are like insurance: a complete waste of money

Not really, they work out cheaper once you have them. They are not just for snow, you can use them in a UK winter too. The rubber stays soft in colder conditions and they give better winter grip even when it's not snow/ice on the road.

Since I've been using winter tyres I've saved money as my summer tyres last twice as long and the winter tyres are much cheaper (same diameter, but smaller rims and narrower width).

Gotta read all my thread if we're to agree on things. I fit winter tyres to a car which stays in the UK so need no persuading of their value.
latest report
cran, Not in my local part of France they don't...
ski holidays
Quote:

We dont plan on using it much, just for the road trip down there from the UK and to pop down the shops, maybe a quick visit to a different resort.

On that note, I'd say just chains.

Basically, the OP can simply choose NOT to drive on the days right after a storm.

The economy of winter tires use back at home is a different matter. It depends on which part of UK he lives...
snow report
I'd get both. I now put winter tyres on the UK and feel it has been worthwhile. If I had to choose I'd get tyres - they are potentially a lifesaver every time you drive. You can manage without chains if you can afford to wait for the road to be cleared. You can get cheap and robust chains in French hypermarkets.
snow report
Both ..
latest report
Thanks all, sorry about putting it in three forums Smile sparked a bit of talk lol ! i think im gunna air on the side of caution and get both for the month if ( fingers crossed it is like last year )

Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, sorry about putting it in three forums sparked a bit of talk lol ! i think im gunna air on the side of caution and get both for the month if ( fingers crossed it is like last year )
latest report
simonduck, Have you investigated the price of winter tyres for your Golf? That may affect your decision...
ski holidays
I now use winter tyres in the UK. I have a spare set of wheels and swap them over in November and March.

On the one occasion last year when due to family emergency i simply had to go to Buxton in February, and it started snowing three hours before i could set off for home, I drove from Buxton to Lincoln on snow all the way, in a rear-drive automatic car, without any trouble (although it was of course a slow journey.)

Without the snow tyres i would never have even made it out of Buxton. Would recommend them to anyone.
latest report
RobW wrote:
simonduck, Have you investigated the price of winter tyres for your Golf? That may affect your decision...

They seem to be around 50 - 70 pound a tyre fitted with black circles
snow report
simonduck, A lot depends on where you are in Morzine. Not everywhere is on a bus route.
If you are on a bus route, you only need use the motor on fair weather days. Get away with less expense.
If not you will be using it every day and will need more kit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy