Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tires or snow chains for 1 month skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys and gals,

I am new to the forum and hope you can help, i am going skiing for one month from feb 24th till march 24 in morzine france 2013. The big question is do i need to get snow tires for the duration or can i get away with just getting chains ? its a new 2012 VW Golf front wheel drive.

We dont plan on using it much, just for the road trip down there from the UK and to pop down the shops, maybe a quick visit to a different resort.

Can any one help ?

thanks
Simon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chains would be fine, I reckon, but is there really any need for the same question to be posted 3 times in different areas of the forum?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both, but given if I had to choose I'd go for winter tyres every time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You will need three sets of snow tyres and three sets of chains for your three different cars and holidays.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, +1
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef wrote:
Chains would be fine, I reckon, but is there really any need for the same question to be posted 3 times in different areas of the forum?

sorry didnt realise how the forum worked and who would see what post Smile my bad

but thanks for the help everyone
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
have you looked at snowsocks for your current tyres? maybe just something else to consider
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winter tyres - much easier - we haven't put chains on our car since having winter tyres about 7 years ago - and we certainly sometimes used to have to put chains on for the hill up to the chalet. A lot will depend on the location of where you are staying too.
And if you get the tyres in the UK you can drive over the winter there with them from November - we usually put ours on then and take off early April.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
simonduck,
If you do treat yourself to a set of snow tyres, I'd recommend you get them put on a set of steel rims.
I dont know which model you have except its a pretty new one, and I suppose they all come with ally wheels now.

I think I'd treat my car to a set of winter tyres if I went out for a month, but as the others have said, you really need a set (pair) of chains for those evenings when the powder arrives.

If you get the covers fitted on a set of steelies then when you get home you can just put them at the back of the garage.

+ if you mount the tyres on smaller diameter rims rather than super low profile they will be much cheeper too.

(I gave my Mk II Golf GTI chains away last year ..... but I've still got the ski rack .. but alas the car has gone Sad )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy