Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fixing ripped out bindings on skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am trying to work out how to save my movement powpow's in the cheapest possible way. The skis have a long history having trekked across Greenland and made some amazing descents. A couple of years ago I put in some salmons so I could retire them to the piste with a little backcountry but decided this year to put the dynafits back on them. The dynafits ripped out and it seems that the tech doing the job put in some helicoils in order to mount them. After a long walk home and some one legged skiing I want your help.

The ski currently looks like this:

I was thinking of putting these Sollyfit plates so I could easily swap in and out the dynafits/salamons depending on what I need them for:
http://bindingfreedom.com/SollyFit-Swap-Plates-1002.htm

What are your thoughts on this?

My second questions, yes there is more, is that I am looking at getting some movement sluff's and again wanted to fit on some dynafit TLT speeds that I already own. I cannot afford to fork out for a new set of bindings with breaks and so I was wondering if I should mount these with inserts so that again I can put on some salamons for the piste if I fancy. Thoughts on this? Where should I get the inserts as the company who makes the plates above sells them but then suggests tools to mount them that all add up.

Thanks

Rob
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ahh, yes and a follow on question, for a big chap (100kg) dynafit verticals or speeds?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's looking impressively sieve-like. Maybe it is time to move on? Those toe mount holes are so close to the older plugged holes there's no way you were ever going to get a full-strength attachment. You might get better hole clearance with some swap plates, but I wouldn't want to rely on a ski with 4 mounts (one of which ripped out) not snapping in half in an exciting moment.

When you ask "dynafit verticals", do you mean ST or FT? The speed heels have the same RV range as the ST bindings, the FTs are a little higher and if you're going to be doing Hoji impressions you might want to consider those. Also have a look at the Plum Guide as a higher-RV alternative if you're happy to go without brakes.

If it is inserts you're after, consider getting Jon's Ski Tuning to mount em up for you, if you're in the neighbourhood. The owner posts on here as Spyderjon. I think I'd err on the side of swap plates in the interests of not creating another swiss cheese ski, mind you Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd want at least 5mm between holes before even considering drilling a new one.

There's also the risk, now, that the ski's strength has been weakened with the multiple holes.

Something like the dyna[whatever] swap plates might help: http://bindingfreedom.com/Plates_c2.htm both in terms of preventing bindings pulling out, but also offering a bit of reinforcement to the ski.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blobbi,
Quote:

My second questions, yes there is more, is that I am looking at getting some movement sluff's

The Sluffs have been discontinued by Movement, so if your set on them I would recommend hunting around quickly to get some of last seasons
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
THe Buzz is the replacement for the Sluff for 12/13.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spending 100 quid on insert plates to fix a pair of skis that are worth less than that seems like false economy.
Money would be better spent getting some sluffs (if that is what your after).

Basically you need 5/10mm between each hole. As a rule of thumb most skis can be drilled about 3 times before the structural integrity is compromised.

Your options to save the Pow Pows are....

- Reuse some of the existing holes and insert helicoils again (cheap but might rip out again)
- Get some kind of binding insert (expensive)
- Move the bindings forward / back (will change how the ski feels)
- Source a cheap Salomon race riser plate (but you would be higher off the ski)
- Insert a bolt through the base of the ski then repatch the p-tex. A decent ski tech will be able to do this. (again expensive, but if done properly can work well).

As for quiverkillers.... Personally I dont think the economics add up when you can get decent pair of skis these days for 200 quid on Sport Conrad etc. Quiverkillers are a 20 minute paff and have a habit of eventually threading the screws. Plus they are not that cheap to buy or fit. The only small advantage of quiver killers is that you can travel with one set of skis.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Spen
As for quiverkillers.... Personally I dont think the economics add up when you can get decent pair of skis these days for 200 quid on Sport Conrad etc. Quiverkillers are a 20 minute paff and have a habit of eventually threading the screws. Plus they are not that cheap to buy or fit. The only small advantage of quiver killers is that you can travel with one set of skis.

It isn't the skis I'm saving on by using inserts, its the bindings. My Radical STs are more expensive than any ski I've ever purchased, and I rather value the ability to swap them between skis.

Anyway, blobbi: let me know if you are keen to go the Sollyfit route. I have a pair of spare, virginal and unmounted sollyfits that don't have holes for Radicals, but would fit your TLT speeds fine, I believe. I'll get round to putting them up in the classifieds at some point in the not too distant future, but shout if you wanted first dibs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given the proximity of the holes.........i would strongly suggest a new set of skis. As some of the posts above state... the ski's strength has been compromised.

Plates are on option but it won't really strengthen the ski.

Certainly if someone came into our shop with those I would only be honest and recommend a new set of skis.

remember................safety always come first in the backcountry.

AT
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy