Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year skiing near Zurich???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheaders,

It is ski planning season again Smile

6 of us are planning on going skiing over New Year and the cheapest flights we can get are to Zurich.

What nearby resorts would you recommend for early snow? We are mainly intermediate skiers who like a little nightlife and some fun over the New Year.

Ideally we would like good value self catering accom (but I know NY is more expensive). An easy train transfer would be ideal.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
S
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sunnek, Take a look at Laax. Easy train/post bus transfer from the airport. It's a pretty high resort which ought to be OK at New Year. I got a reasonably priced apartment there at half term a couple of years ago, only slept 2 though.

For more nightlife St Anton is also easy to get to from Zurich by direct train or bus transfer from the airport. Plenty of apartments listed on the Tourist Office website.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zurich is the bit of Switzerland where the resorts are tiny & lowish.
I had a great "Christmas Day" in Stoos
You probably wont find it in any English guide books.
The village is on a plateau and you can only get there by cable car.
But night-life could be you on your own!
So the nearest biggy to Zurich is Engelberg, guaranteed snow.
But you know of course that Switzerland is so cheap that you feel you are ripping off the locals, its like happy hour at the Con Club!
So take sandwiches.
Or easier still take the train to Stanton!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's another idea...
Take the train to Bregenz and take the post bus up to Bezau.

All the locals are well used to Oirish and they'll call out to you... "How's she cuttin!"
They love talking about milk yields etc.

This is honest ... ask Paul Hyland who scribbles about soccer for the Irish Indo.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sunnek, Another vote for Flims/ Laax, check out Riders Palace in Laax, best après is at the Crap Bar! also Flumserberg is good but NY queues there are a problem, the CH's come out on mass if it's good weather!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Engleberg.

Very easy to get to on train from Zurich it catches very good snow as it is effectively the first mountain in the region that incoming storms get to in addition to the fact that the bulk of the skiing is between 1800m and 3200m and North facing so the snow stays in good condition for a while. The pisted area is pretty small, its not difficult to do it all in a day, but it is very good with long pistes and nice routes through the trees down to the village and there is lots of off piste if you're that way inclined. Possibly make it a two center trip if you go there but it is definitely worth a visit. Queuing wasn't a problem when i was there at Easter but may be at New Year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt. Trasfer is about 3.3 hours but is very easy - train from the airport to Visp and anther train from Visp to Zermatt that drops you in the centre of village. Big ski area, nice village, awesome scenery and a good nightlife.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the information. Very helpful.

Which would be the best Austrian resorts from Zurich as the Swiss ones seem very expensive.....the euro makes Austria more attractive. I am thinking St Anton....

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sunnek, Youve left it late for StA at NY. You'll be struggling to get self catering appt over NY now in St Anton, and TBPH I reckon to get the best out of the area isnt best over NY where queues can be higher than normal and you really need to be motoring to get high early, and unless you know the area and ski OP you'll get held up, OP is when StA comes into its own IME.

How about Montafon, maybe stay in Schruns or St Gallenkirch, train from Zurich to Sargans/ Bludenz and local train up the valley, or Ischgl? I'd say these 2 would be a better option than StA. Or you could stay down in Bludenz or Feldkirch and train up daily which reduces cost dramatically but you'd miss full-on apres if thats what you're after?

I wouldnt dismiss Engelberg, some friends there last NY and they said it was excellent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in St Anton last New Year and the snow was amazing, and the pistes were not busy as the weather was so shocking! Just as well as most of the lifts were shut the whole week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sunnek,
Here's another idea. check out
http://www.hotel-enzian.com/start.php?site=ehome&lan=e&ss=home#top

Its in Landeck a town but not a ski town, main line station etc.

In the winter they do ski safaris to the best places around ... Ischgl, Stanton and other places you'd never ever get to on your own.

In summer they do motorcycle tours on brand new BMW's

Otherwise the Montafon or the Bregenzerwald as I mentioned earlier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy