Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Being less rubbish at skiing. A masterplan. Anyone got any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=mike+pow&word2=skimastaaah
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha ha.

I'm happy that we're discussing skiing.

Always ready to hear someone else's take on things.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow wrote:
Went back to the video clip and there it was. My mistake. I thought you were critiquing the clip before the Faust one.

We're seeing similar things and different things for sure.

I see a confident, competent skier making medium to long radius turns on a slope well below his/her ability level.

The skier is very forward in the boot with the shins pressed against the tongues.

This 'fixing' of the ankle joint forward has resulted in a mechanical disadvantage limiting the ability to pivot both feet on flatter skis for initial direction change.

As a consequence the edges are set early and forward of the toes with the downhill ski and knee tucking in behind the uphill ski and uphill knee.

The skier is unable to round out and complete the turn before running out of room on the piste and then there is a sudden and pronounced skid before the next turn is initiated by rotating the upper body and tipping into the turn.

The sequence is then repeated.

I would have the skier try to stand as neutral as possible in the boot with as litle forward pressure as possible allowing him/her to initiate the turn from a whole foot balanced stance.

Arghhhh - I've spent my entire skiing life trying to get blood running down the front of my shins from forward pressure - is smoking good for you now too?!?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having said that I agree with much of the rest of the analysis but wonder if it in part is because he knows he is being filmed?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I would have the skier try to stand as neutral as possible in the boot with as litle forward pressure as possible allowing him/her to initiate the turn from a whole foot balanced stance.

that's what I'm hoping the Sweetspot ski trainer will help me do!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow,

(Bear in miind I am not a trained instructor, I've just observed and thought about a lot of skiing; and at the huge risk that I am probably setting myself up for major embarrassment here when we discover that he is a world freeride champ or something, hey ho!, into the fray)

To my mind his stance has his dynamic centre of mass a little rear of centred - and this is what is forcing an outer tip lag as he tries to force pressure on to the front of the outside boot. I think it comes from spending too much time in the park and not enough learning to ski properly.

He definitely has to force himself into balance after his second little pop (he's definitely over the back of his skis there - maybe he's not used to wearing a great heavy rucksack).

And in conclusion this leads to an inabilty to easily control speed on the two steeper pitches into the Flaine plateau (in fairness, these are moderatly steep and typically quite scoured). It also leads to a very nearly embarrassing moment transtioning from the piste to the side piste at the end.

I must admit, I'd be looking for a more solid and inspiring skier (there were several wearing red and white suits) as one of my official resort video ambassadors.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name,
Quote:

and at the huge risk that I am probably setting myself up for major embarrassment here when we discover that he is a world freeride champ or something, hey ho!, into the fray)

Don't think there is any risk of that looking at his skiing wink . Yes, whilst Faust skier can ski, there is plenty of room for improvement.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree Juliad - he can ski and plenty of skiers would be happy to ski as he does.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RE: my comments above about fitness - I've posted what I think is the best 'no kit' ski exercise regime elsewhere on the site and I'm too lazy to go and hunt it our again. The '100 raised knee jumps with ski boots' is a sort of basic/initial level test, not an end in itself. I meant it to illustrate the basic 'pass' fitness level for someone who was hoping to improve their skiing in a week. In and of itself, the test means very little. All I was trying to say is that if you cannot do it then I believe this will compromise your ‘on snow’ learning time, it's not intended to be a substitute for the excellent technique tips being doled out here like kernels of honey-laced confectionary.

Wayne - the falling down stuff is about learning how to fall and getting your body to do it automatically. If you can get your body to obtain the muscle memory for a particular action it has a tendency to remove a great deal of the anxiety related to the issue. Also being able to fall properly is one of the best ways to avoid injury. It also aids bone density which does the same.

Both of the above will improve any instruction since they should remove two barriers to implementing that instruction when received.

I've got a friend who runs 100+ miles every week and is fitter now than I have ever been. She has a BMI of an Olympic distance runner and a frankly unbelievable body/fat ratio and VO2 max. She is, however, a crap skier and she aches more than I do at the end of the day partly - I believe - because she is so tense all the time. She has had much more ski instruction than I have had recently, some of it one-on-one. She is terrified of the drops off the side of the slopes but generally heights don't bother her. Respectfully, I would suggest that all the technique training in the world is not going to help her until she sorts out her (illusionary) concerns.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
juliad wrote:
under a new name,
Quote:

and at the huge risk that I am probably setting myself up for major embarrassment here when we discover that he is a world freeride champ or something, hey ho!, into the fray)

Don't think there is any risk of that looking at his skiing wink . Yes, whilst Faust skier can ski, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Looks like a typical seasonnaire skier to me! Wink (Comfortable on his skis but a bit back, a bit lazy and not quite technically correct).

But I doubt he cares what I think Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Looks like a typical seasonnaire skier to me! (Comfortable on his skis but a bit back, a bit lazy and not quite technically correct).

shouldn't that be:

"Looks like a typical seasonnaire skier to me! (Comfortable on his back, ski's a lot and not quite technically correct in any way whatsoever)." ????
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fifespud wrote:

Arghhhh - I've spent my entire skiing life trying to get blood running down the front of my shins from forward pressure - is smoking good for you now too?!?

Neither good for you in my opinion.

And I'm sure he was milking it for the camera.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

that's what I'm hoping the Sweetspot ski trainer will help me do!

Me and my girlfriend, Nerys, too. It arrived today.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Mike Pow,

(Bear in miind I am not a trained instructor, I've just observed and thought about a lot of skiing; and at the huge risk that I am probably setting myself up for major embarrassment here when we discover that he is a world freeride champ or something, hey ho!, into the fray)

To my mind his stance has his dynamic centre of mass a little rear of centred - and this is what is forcing an outer tip lag as he tries to force pressure on to the front of the outside boot. I think it comes from spending too much time in the park and not enough learning to ski properly.

He definitely has to force himself into balance after his second little pop (he's definitely over the back of his skis there - maybe he's not used to wearing a great heavy rucksack).

And in conclusion this leads to an inabilty to easily control speed on the two steeper pitches into the Flaine plateau (in fairness, these are moderatly steep and typically quite scoured). It also leads to a very nearly embarrassing moment transtioning from the piste to the side piste at the end.

I must admit, I'd be looking for a more solid and inspiring skier (there were several wearing red and white suits) as one of my official resort video ambassadors.

There were definitely times when he was in the back seat but to me that was the effect not the cause.

If you slow down the skiing between 1.23 and 1.26 you can see a great example of overflexion of the ankle and boot resulting in the downhill ski lagging behind.
latest report
Mike Pow, On ipad how do you slow it down? Thx
snow report
under a new name, I have made a copy of that video and put it on our analysis site where you should be able to do frame by frames and 1/4 1/2 speed playback on your ipad... can you let me know how it works ?
ski holidays
skimottaret, Sure, will do, about to board flight so probably won't be able totill later. Thanks!
latest report
skimottaret, "your browser does not support...

Just on iPad2" iOS 5, Safari

Or maybe the important message is Error401 you do not have permission ?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 14-09-12 9:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Looks like a typical seasonnaire skier to me! (Comfortable on his skis but a bit back, a bit lazy and not quite technically correct).

Laughing

Definitely a bit of funky skiing going on and well summarised.
snow report
skimottaret, doesn't work on Chrome or Safari on Mac either!
ski holidays
skimottaret, Doesn't work for me using latest Firefox.
latest report
skimottaret, or latest version of IE
ski holidays
sorry chaps, for some reason the privacy setting wasnt saved, could you try again. It now "should" work in safari and firefox. chrome doesnt want to know
latest report
Works fine on firefox now. Thanks.
snow conditions
skimottaret, That's a good tool Smile
ski holidays
can you go to 1:25 and click on the round bubble on the time line
snow report
Yeah did that.

Saw your comment and then the 'green line' on the skier's leg.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, cool thanks for checking , can you have a go at adding a comment or drawing yourself to test the functionality
latest report
That's a very cool little site.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Mike Pow, cool thanks for checking , can you have a go at adding a comment or drawing yourself to test the functionality

Says I need to log in. Can't at the moment.
ski holidays
meh, it is isn't it... I have put two more videos up http://sprongo.com/video/430049

try using the compare function and use the videos mini2 and mini3 , works like the very expensive dartfish programme
latest report
Mike Pow, ahhh I guess you have to be invited onto our "team" in order to make comments and draw on public videos. shame but i can see why...
snow report
skimottaret, had to signup but yes that's very cool indeed! I like that you can set the different entry points for the videos as well.
latest report
skimottaret, Looks like people can request to join your 'team' wink
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., yes to amend the videos or make comments but if you sign up for free you can use the compare tool which is pretty cool
ski holidays
Whilst I'm sure Mr Faust skier doesn't care what others think and his goal was to go and have a bit of a pose for the camera, there are areas of his skiing which could be further developed despite being already fairly competent. Going back to helping skiers become aware and understand what they can improve on, why? and how?

Improving posture & balance:
- by bringing hands forwards for balance & giving him a reference for what his upper body is doing
- remaining balanced over the whole foot and not through the heels he'll be more centred and be able to work the length of the ski - therefore making it easier to start the turn and get more performance out of the ski
- widening up his stance so that he can be better positioned to edge the skis

Developing ability to do the following:
- there was some reasonable edging going on but by tilting the skis over onto their edges more (as in more edge angle) he could make a more grippy or carved turn, as well as a tighter turn
- also if he stops his shoulders coming round so much towards the finish of the turn then he'll find it easier and quicker to start the next turn
- when he tilts his body into the inside of the turn, he's losing balance against his outside ski. Being better balanced against the outside ski will allow it to grip. By working on tilting the skis with different parts of the body - ie. titling the legs but keeping the body more upright will help

Rather than pick loads of faults, these are the key skiing skills I think he would benefit from working on...Just to add, his choice of ski might not be helping put down nice carved turns on that piste, and I think he might have a bit of a ramp angle and alignment thing going on...
snow conditions
I thought he was banking and on the inside ski a lot with balance mainly on the heels, skis like a jibber Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret,

For what it's worth, my office (place where I work) Windows IE doen't meet with your site's approval - it sneers at it with quite a snide put-down ......
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat, it isnt my site, just a service i stumbled across, they do say that it works best on firefox but safari seems okay

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 14-09-12 16:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy