Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daft piste to be taken down on your first week skiing/boarding

Poster: A snowHead
snowball, Angle measurement in percentage? This is not widely used in trigonomentry. 50% will give you 180 degrees so it should be flat;)

It's not black, it's not black but orange. Statistics can be googled for, or you can use one of this iPhone applications:). 55 degrees but of course not throughout and definitely not the average, so no point in dividing the vertical by the legth of the run, of course the average is much lower. But intitial pitch still have to be skied somehow. The problem and danger for beginners in this kind of situations they tend to skip the turn on the next bump, accelerate and may easily get out of control and depending on the slope condition the outcome can vary. There are slopes that start with this kind of pitch in other places too, so it's not that rare and impossible. The initial pitch under Mont Fort lift is 50 degrees, though it's somewhat easier than Chavanette as it doesn't get as bumped up and after 4 jump turns it's actually a nice skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
never summer, % is often used to measure slope incline - even on UK roads, for example. As I understand it 100% = 45º, for every metre forward, you go one metre down.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
never summer, I really don't think the Swiss Wall is 55 degrees at any point, even over a 10 metre distance. Except if you measure the incline on the back of one bump.

The Mont Fort pitch example is interesting...50 degrees to start with? I'd have thought 40...

The entrance to the Super C in Portillo is 47 degrees from what I've read. I've skied that one, in pretty good snow, using double pole plants and almost stopping at each turn. Mont Fort by comparison - linked turns. Though I admit that the consequences of a fall are quite different.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

A green run can be dangerous if it is covered in ice - and you can slip from top to bottom under those conditions.

I've skied Moraine in VT (usually a lovely wide cruisy blue) when its been like that. It was more than icy enough to do my mind in and would have done so had I not been looking after someone even more worried about it than I was at the time!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
Rob, comments?
I've met Fearne Cotton. She wears too much eye makeup.

she needs it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
Rob, comments?
I've met Fearne Cotton. She wears too much eye makeup.

will that keep her on the intermediate plateau?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/D5obu2F1I_0
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think the Nordkette is also quite steep as well as G2 in Obertauern
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've seen a woman who looked like a beginner nervously snowplough to the top of the grand couloir in Courchevel (how she got across the ridge I have no idea!). The top of that run is around 30-35 degrees. She did one snowplough turn, fell, and then pretty much bounced all the way to the bottom over the bumps. Saw her 20 minutes later being strapped into a blood wagon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like all the Fake adds for Harikiri, look at this one

http://youtube.com/v/uTDuPq8Mgqk&feature=related

judging by the horizon the camera is tilted 15 degrees to horizontal. The run is probably 35 degrees, max.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, think it's touted as being 38º. I haven't been to Mayrhofen, but I find it hard to believe that a commonly-skied piste will sustain a gradient like that for very long (if at all).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
never summer wrote:
Quote:

Its not 50 degrees

The top is 55 which is enough to start a long and painful slide. And if moguls are suffficiently big and hard they can do some damage. I am not saying that if you fall you will die or seriously injure yoursef 100% all I am saying that potential is there. When I was learning to ski moguls and off-piste I was always told to consider where I was likely to stop if I fell.

Moguls just don't form on slopes more than 40º and there are no pistes as much as 40º in Europe on even a part of their length. When the Good Ski guide found any slope over 30º they always mentioned it (and there were very few). Where did you get this figure from? There would be absolutely no way for anyone to stop if they fell on 55º. I've seen someone do a very long slide (about 200 metres) on an icy 20º slope. Mind you, that was sheer incompetence.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You would tho......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The initial pitch under Mont Fort lift is 50 degrees

I don't think it is. There's a winch point on it that enables them to get a cat up there to piste it for the speed skiing. I'd pin it at between 35 and 38 degrees. Barring the possibility of it sliding, the most hazardous thing about that slope is the likelihood of crushing your balls getting over the fence. I'd say the same goes for Chavanette, although without the possibility of inadvertent neutering yourself on the entry. The initial convexity and the moguls make it seem steeper than it actually is. Even something like Chassoure, which has a similarly intimidating reputation looks fairly benign when viewed from the S couloir.

That doesn't mean it isn't potentially dangerous: 35 degrees can be serious and committing but it isn't genuine steep skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The scariest piste I've actually been down (having previously bottled the black on Mt Chery, the Swiss Wall and Le Tunnel), is La Noire at La Clusaz. Barely got down it. Always wondered how steep it was.

Had a peep over the Grand Couloir as well once. Didn't have the minerals for that either Smile
ski holidays
Quick to the clinometers! Wink
ski holidays
My wife's got a clinometer, but I can never find it.
latest report
I took my girlfriend down (a very icy) Combe du Caron in VT a few days into her first week.

To my ongoing surprise she's now my wife (and a very good skier).
snow report
Internet 'steepest' threads are a lot like internet 'how fast have you skiied" threads
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy