Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about, St Anton, Soll and Mayhrofen.

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a New Year trip for possibly a mixed group, non skier/possibly may try it? , a couple who've been twice and the rest intermediates. Are these good choices? Are there nice mountain walks? Are there horrific queues at NY, are there mainly modern lifts or still lots of old drags? What are prices like re:ski hire, lessons, prices in bars etc, Thanks all snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St. Anton is not good for beginners. Söll and Mayrhofen are fine. I would personally choose Söll. The lifts in St.A and Söll are modern. Can't speak for Mayrhofen cos I have not been there for 20 years!
Not sure about mountain walks in winter. Basically most of the paths will be under snow. There are quite a lot of organisations offering snowshoeing these days. Maybe an option? I honestly would not recommend a non-skier to go to any of these places though. Maybe if you were based in Innsbruck and drove around, but otherwise I think they will get bored pdq.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did Soll last New Year, have skied Mayrhofen most Januarys for last 8 years, going with family at New Year. We all prefer Mayrhofen to Soll, nightlife better (although with family in tow not really relevant), bigger chooce of hotels, more challenging skiing, benefit of a glacier if snow doesn't do as it's told. (Although we had more snow in Soll last year than we knew what to do with).

Certainly a little more to do for a non-skier in Mayrhofen (but not much more).

Love St Anton, but pricier. I would have gone there for NY but didn't find anything I could afford.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you, what are prices like in Soll and Mayhrofen?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Soll 5 years ago. My son was 3 then so night-life wasn't really an issue! One particular memory was that not many places took credit cards which was a bit of a shock. It may be different now but it's worth checking. I don't recall thinking the prices were particularly bad or anything. We did a lot of skiing out of Scheffau because the snow wasn't so good at Soll (Jan 2007 Ghost Dog were you there then?). I thought the lift system was very good mostly chairs as I recall with gondolas up to main areas. I liked it and it's somewhere I would consider again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you'r not really skiers ... Then go to Soll there is plenty of nightlife there and there's plenty of people who also cant ski. People go to Soll for the Pizza not the piste. But the skiing is quite adequate as long as it snows. But if there is no snow then there is more nightlife. Simples.
Stanton is off the menu for you, you'd feel a bit GoreTexed out.
Mayerhofen is a bit ... "its 10 oclock lets go to bed".

BTW:
Worst nightlife in the Alps for me was "Hoch Solden" about half a dozen hotels with dreary hotel bars.
Solden was fine.
Sometimes you can have the best nightlife in the smallest of villages, especially if you are in a crowd who get on well.
If there is only one bar that's the one to go to!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The nightlife is only for the then20 year olds, us oldies will stay put in the chalet most evenings! The non skier will be happy for snow shoeing, walks etc, but the skiing has to be pretty good as most of us are intermediates! I think I'm more drawn to Mayrhofen, I think St Anton is probably too pricey, thanks again and any more suggestions most welcome snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would go to Soll, not ever been there but just to avoid the lifts up and down off the slope at Mayrhofen (can be 2 hours in peak time). St Anton is in another league and if cost is a consideration avoid.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feefee, just a small point about Mayrhofen vs Söll. Söll is part of the SkiWelt, and as such is one station in the biggest connected ski area in Austria. Mayrhofen is part of the Zillertal lift complex but is not connected. My own memories of the skiing in Mayrhofen are... lotsa Brits, and very boring pistes. Söll on the other hand also has lotsa Brits but nearly infinite possibilities and variants for all levels. OTOH I have no experience of night life in Söll and almost no experience of night life in Mayrhofen.
Just sayin y'know.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm now I'm swaying towards Soll, I like the idea of linked resorts, it also claims to be good for beginners? So long as there are some bars in the evening, but it's not all about the nightlife, they are supposed to be going skiing Madeye-Smiley
I know there are some great places in France, but in our experience we found it very expensive for nothing more? Personal opinion! I am seriously looking at Soll now! Just need to confirm how many of us, as our family seems to be growing!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:
Mayrhofen is part of the Zillertal lift complex but is not connected.
Well, for the sake of accuracy, Mayrhofen is lift connected of course to Finkenburg, Vorderlanersbach and Lanersbach. There's plenty there for most people for a week. Going to Kaltenbach, Hochfugen, ZamZ, Gerlos etc or up to Hintertux is just a matter of jumping on bus/train.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feefee, Is France out of the question?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FeeFee, Although I've never skied in Soll, (Just eaten the pizza on the way back from Kitzbuhel) I think I would feel more comfortable with the Wilder Kaiser region in a mixed group than I would up in the Ziller Valley.
Although there is of course the best Glacier in Europe to ski on at the top of the Zillertal 3/4 hour on the bus from Mayerhofen, so you do have the fall back position if there is a snow drought, which there often is in the Tyrol till end of January.
But... You don't want to go up there at New Year it will be freeezzzing and you'll be frozen in the queues getting up there.
I think you'll find that Soll also epitomises what a ski holiday in Austria is all about ... the tobogganing evenings, sleigh rides & the drunken Kegelbahn (bowling) nights.
Not the 4am+ nights of the disco.
Save Stanton for another year.

If you do end up in Stanton, make sure you stop off at the Mooserwirt on piste back to town, the apres ski starts at 3:30!

What ever you do and wherever you go you'll have a brill time in Austria.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee, Add Kitzbuhel to your list, and St Anton off. Enjoy it!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
...if there is a snow drought, which there often is in the Tyrol till end of January.
That is such BS.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Don't tell everyone, normally is whenever I'm there, that's why I go wink
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
DrLawn wrote:
...if there is a snow drought, which there often is in the Tyrol till end of January.
That is such BS.
OK Herr Swiller!
Perhaps I should have said "if there is a snow drought which is not unheard of in early January"
ski holidays
Markymark29,

>>>""Add Kitzbuhel to your list, and St Anton off. Enjoy it!""
Didnt FeeFee say they ..... oh it dosent matter what she said ... I was tempted to suggest Kitz too....
But that's only for very experienced apres skiers!
latest report
Cynic wrote:
feefee, Is France out of the question?
. No its not but have found Austria to have better mountain huts, better value, and Jaegermeister Madeye-Smiley
However our group seems to be growing so I've now no idea where well end up!!
snow report
Ja, meine wundershoene liebling, Ostereiche ist so much besser dan de Frankreiche!

France ........ 10 Euros a plate of pommes frites ............. Austria .........Germknodl mitt pommes ................ 10 Euro!

France...... so passe!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Germknodl mitt Pommes ????

Mal Ziet!
snow report
I prefer Germknodel mit vanille sauce!
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Germknodl mitt Pommes ????

Mal Ziet!

Just on a German language note, that should be Mahlzeit! wink

Oh, and I have to agree with feefee about preferring Germknödel mit Vanillesauce Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
skimastaaah, Gernknödel mit Pommes? Gut für d'Wampn, wohl wahr!
snow report
I think you should look at Saalbach, would suit your group very well. Lots of varied skiing - much of it great for beginners and intermediates. Fun village, great atmosphere (especially New Years Eve - get a magnum of champagne between your group and head up to the piste by the Thurm lift and Bauers Schi Alm at 12), reasonably priced (inc beer), very modern and continually upgraded lift system, close to Salzburg for non-skiers, with other activities like ice karting and piste basher driving nearby. And some of the most extensive snow-making facilities around should the worst happen.

I don't like Soll, and I think the much of it's skiing is pretty boring - apart from for early beginners, by far the best skiing of the SkiWelt is all in Westendorf. I don't know Mayrhofen. St Anton isn't worth the extra cost unless you're taking advantage of the offpiste terrain IMO.
latest report
clarky999, thank you I have looked at Saalbach before, will take another look now, now I need to know who's coming before I get too serious, we've skied most of the ski Amade and love it, but would like to explore another area of Austria, although now I'm looking at France too, it's not easy!!
latest report
feefee, another vote for Saalbach. It is GREAT!
snow report
Scheffau better than Soll for the beginners (or that was the opinion of the beginners we took with us, we stayed in Soll and skied across, the beginners took a taxi and joined us up top). Deffo look at Saalbach & Hinterglemm though, being in a valley is very handy as wherever you end up at the bottom the bus/taxi will get you cheaply back to the hotel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
skimastaaah, Gernknödel mit Pommes? Gut für d'Wampn, wohl wahr!

Germknodl mit vanillasauce! Dumbkopf!!!!!!!!!!!!

CURRYWURST mit Pommes!!!!!!!!!!!! rolling eyes
latest report
feefee, BTW , add Lech and Kitzbuhel to your list of possibles.
snow report
skimastaaah, that'll be Germknödel mit Vanillesosse we're talking about then?
ski holidays
Steilhang, and don't forget the "Dummkopf!" Laughing wink
latest report
Slight snow drought in 2007, otherwise been fine the last decade. Even in 20078, the Hoff was fine third week Jan and St Anton in April had tones of snow.
snow conditions
Quote:

Even in 20078

kewl - time travel is possible Smile
snow report
Time travel is only possible with
Tartiflit not Gemknodel
Malziet!
ski holidays
DrLawn,

The best pizza I have ever eaten was in Soll - much better than anywhere in Italy! The lifts were good and the pistes suitable for beginners & intermediates. I wasn't over taken with the night life, just loads of drunken Brits.

I had a great ski in ski out week in Hoch Solden. The night life was OK but I was in a great group.

I wasn't overly taken with Mayerhofen. It was OK, reasonable skiing, glacier nearby etc. etc. but my (hazy) recollections are of everything being a bit of a hike or a bus ride or the train or a pain. I like things a bit closer to hand.

I've never done St Anton but I like the sound of Lech.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Steilhang, and don't forget the "Dummkopf!" Laughing wink

Okay, I'm on a diet, so I'll go for the Tyroller Grostl mitt pommes, und Currywurst mitt vanillasosse! Noch ein beer bitte! Embarassed
ski holidays
musher,
Quote:
I've never done St Anton but I like the sound of Lech

Both got great qualities.
latest report
skimastaaah, Give up, your German sucks! And all you are doing it giving those of us who do speak and write it a really good laugh.

So perhaps, mach weiter du dummarsch Trottel! Toofy Grin
snow report
Not sure what's more entertaining... the "German", or the cuisine Wink
I'll go for the potatoes with fries please.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy