Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2012/13 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
eddiethebus, if you're referring to the furry horned hat thing, wow indeed. It was full face too.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Piehole, I did. you are in the clear.

Skied across to Fleger yesterday. Prior social activities meant we had a slow day. Pistes in good nick and will be nice to have them refreshed.

Home run to Brevent a bit of a shocker. In fairness it was closed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Home run to Brevent a bit of a shocker. In fairness it was closed.

Laughing It was looking brown on Tuesday – like it does in late April/early May.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, we didn't have to dismount, but it was a close run thing...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i've not done the brevent home run all season yet, might give it a run out after the EPIC amounts of snow that are falling at the moment Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Powder day at Les Houches, yeeee haaaa. Must have had 40cm and still snowing. Sunshine due tomorrow, expect some crowds.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It has been a brilliant day's skiing and I am pleasantly exhausted!

I overslept this morning, can you believe, and only emerged from my bed around 10am so hopped over to Brevent since it's closest. Much was off limits with avy danger signage everywhere but the open bits had 30-50cm of snow. It was a thing of beauty. And I managed not to face plant once, which is rare snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
yeeee haaaa
Heard that sound all day today and may have emitted it myself once or twice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zero-G, is the Brevent home run in better nick now?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy from embsay, I didn't ski it today – wore my legs out on top. Think it was closed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off piste today at Vallorcine, through the trees. Got a little lost but the conditions were fantastic and had an adventure. (via SMS)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fantastic conditions at Flegere today, some extra snow fall overnight. Level 4 avi risk posted so wasn't tapping the bear on the nose too much.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was level 3 in Vallorcine (anything above that and I would have stuck to the pistes like glue).

This was my first time off piste in the Vallorcine area and once we got past the wide, open snow fields from the top lift it's all trees down to the bottom.

I'm definitely going to ski there again but will make sure I have a proper map of the area with me Embarassed
On the plus side, the guy I was skiing with was hot, so if we had had the misfortune of being benighted, I would have had no problem getting really close for warmth.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today, versant Rognon Vallee Blanche
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Idris, Jealous.com
latest report
Idris, beautiful photo Very Happy
ski holidays
Idris, what Pedantica said. Stunning!
snow report
gutted, bad back meant I could ride all weekend.....only the best weekend of the season so far Sad
ski holidays
Snowed for most of the day today up top and visibility was variable but it was still a good day. The snow falling was those tiny ball-shaped snowflakes, what is that going to do to the snowpack? From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like it would bond well.

eddiethebus, there will be many more good days!
latest report
Snowing all day again today and visibility was shite. At one point I couldn't see more than about 5 metres around me and I started to feel some motion sickness. Snow was good and deep though snowHead

This was the best vis we had all day today (looking back up the mountain, somewhere at Brévent):
latest report
Quote:

At one point I couldn't see more than about 5 metres around me and I started to feel some motion sickness

Sad that's horrible. Looks like tomorrow could be an epic day - better vis and shedloads of snow. snowHead
snow report
pam w, here's hoping!
latest report
Another great day at Brevent/Flegere. The off piste was tracked but still soft so great fun.

I did feel it was a bit dodgy in places with some shallow slabs breaking away under my skis. The track to the hotel face at Brevent was fenced and had a couple of notices warning skiers off, worked for me but others were taking a punt. It's been very cold which I guess has delayed the stabilisation of the snow, level 3/5 was posted.

Good forecast for tomorrow and another dump due at the weekend Very Happy
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
It's been very cold
That's no lie! I have a 100g Primaloft mid-layer that was not warm enough on Monday. Tuesday was even colder Skullie

Was it colder yesterday and today? (I haven't really left my bed for two days).
snow conditions
Quote:

Was it colder yesterday and today?

It was! If forecast to be believed apx -15 mid mountain at GM today and around -20 at the top of top tram. Certainly felt like it. Awesomely small Qs, just walked straight on! (Reletively) gentle breeze (for the top of GM) didn't help either. Didn't hang around up there too long . Front side well tracked, but snow still good Very Happy
latest report
Very poor viz at Grands Montets today but the snow in the magic forest is still, well, magic. Three face plants later and I have snow everywhere! Toofy Grin (via SMS)
ski holidays
Sat at Geneva waiting for the flight from a hopefully reopened Leeds airport to take us home.

Didn't go up the hill today but have had three and a half good days. Snow on-piste is great, although getting a little thin near the St Gervais side of Les Houches where we went yesterday.

Had a day touring with a guide on Saturday when we went over to Switzerland (he reckoned Pas de Chevre would be dodgy, but mates say they saw lots of people heading off down there). We skinned up for about 800m into a decidedly dodgy feeling bowl up above Martigny somewhere - I was so knackered I was absolutely hopeless skiing the wonderful powder through the trees coming down.

This snow will help the off piste - quite variable everywhere we went - Brevent-Flegere varied from lumpy crud to softish bumps.
ski holidays
Tuesday 22 Jan was a bluebird powder day. Snow has started around 3pm on Monday and fell through the night. 15cm on the Grand Montets. Sky cleared as the lifts opened. Within hours the obvious stuff on GM was tracked but it was still possible to find fresh lines through the day with a bit of creativity.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah i went up brevent yesterday and it was a great day! probably doing the same shortly Smile

doesnt look like much is due until next week so hopefully it wont be too cloudy to enjoy whats out there now!
latest report
eddiethebus, it wasn't too bad at Brevent today. Off piste snow was still softish but the light went so flat around 2pm that I couldn't see a thing! Headed over to Flegere where it was even worse, so straight back to Brevent.
snow conditions
haha yeah i went up brevent about 1.30 stayed for about 30 mins then went home! today looks better though Smile
latest report
Another fine, cold day. When I went up this morning, there was a thick layer of cloud blanketing the valley but still sitting below the skiing. As we were skiing over to Flegere to scope out a good vantage point for tomorrow's FWT event, that cloud layer rose and completely enveloped us and visibility was practically zero. Couldn't see a thing over at Flegere either, so took the cable car down to have lunch in the valley.

A lovely cloud blanket over the valley this morning:
snow conditions
Just one more sleep . . . . . . and WEHEY!!!!!
ski holidays
Thanks to the boys at Sole for sorting out my boots, I went for a little skin today round the back of Le Tour. The snow was great most aspects but hard on others. Had a lovely picnic in the sunshine on the top of l'Arolette. The avalanche level is 2 but there are some huge cornices hanging over the gullies! The on piste is good too but the cloud rolled in during the afternoon so we packed in around 3.30.
snow conditions
After six days of very cold temps, high sun and no new snowfall, conditions were getting a bit difficile in the easily accessible places. Was getting to the point where my skis were skittering over concrete-like hardpack.

Then, it started snowing last night and has only just stopped. Due to snow a little more today. While this doesn't do much for avy conditions (not sure how this new snow will stick to that hard stuff), I am very happy to have something a little softer under my skis snowHead
latest report
Now, if only they would update the open lifts/pistes info so that I can get out there!
snow report
It's level 4 avalanche warning today!
ski holidays
jbob, yup and I'll be exclusively piste skiing today. Have to get out there, it would be rude not to!
snow report
hmm did a little bit of flurrying when I was about the only person skiing Bochard bowl about 3.30pm then started just as I was getting on transfer van - so you can thnak me for being the reverse snow monkey. Anyone who wants to hire me to come out for a few days then leave to summon snow my rates are very reasonable starting at cost.
ski holidays
fatbob,
Quote:

Anyone who wants to hire me to come out for a few days then leave to summon snow my rates are very reasonable starting at cost.

Not sure I can stretch to hiring your services, but if you happened to be out on 26th/27th Feb to summon down a big dump prior to the weekend of 1st-4th March, it would be appreciated!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy