Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2012/13 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
I'm getting too old for this, and the absence of wellness in my accommodation is telling. Must have been 30 to 50 cm of fresh in gm today. Rented a pair of 186 bbrs and proceeded to career around the mountain giggling like a giddy schoolchild. Was light enough at first, that is after the 45 minute wait to get up but got progressively heavier as the day went on. Best conditions obviously at the higher bowls either side of report, I imagine they'll be the only bits that hold up tomorrow.

Highlight of the day was seeing an otherwise non descript middle aged french woman scraping her way into the poubelle, sans rappel i might add, to join her boyfriend. Not an ounce of gear among them, albeit her 80s afro almost substituted for a helmet. You have to love Chamonix!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8611 wrote:
Highlight of the day was seeing an otherwise non descript middle aged french woman scraping her way into the poubelle, sans rappel i might add, to join her boyfriend. Not an ounce of gear among them, albeit her 80s afro almost substituted for a helmet. You have to love Chamonix!

Fair play. I wouldn't have fancied it much without rope when I looked a couple of weeks ago.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No rope or harness or nothing. You could see about 50 yards into the mist. Apart from anything else, do you not need a rope for pas de chevre? Or have I that mixed up. Looking at her I was tempted to follow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I was tempted to follow!

. . . on 186 BBRs?? Shocked Could've been a first.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Almost zero visibility at Le Tour, so we skied the trees at Vallorcine all morning. It was fluffy powder up top and crusty breakable crust lower down. I almost ended up in the river!

When the fog broke around 2pm, the whole of Le Tour revealed itself to be covered in meringue-smooth, fresh, untracked powder and the frenzy ensued. Incredible afternoon's skiing, probably the best I've had all season snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice one Zero-G, some of my best days have also been had going out in less than perfect conditions only to be rewarded later in the day when it clears or a lift opens.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Planning on escaping for some polo piste fun, what time of day will le tour or brevant flegere be in good condition? I imagine mid morning in both cases?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8611, depends how hot it is on the day but, at present, mid morning is about right. If, like me, you enjoy slush then you can ski into the afternoon too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob wrote:
Nice one Zero-G, some of my best days have also been had going out in less than perfect conditions only to be rewarded later in the day when it clears or a lift opens.

It was my first experience of fluffy, light powder under a sunny blue sky. Was really something special!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks zero g, I don't mind the slush too much as long as there's notcrowds. I even kind of like the icy hard pistes in the mornings. Waiter tonight reckons less queues tomorrow in any event, prob going to get Browning points by minding the little fellow before engaging in a tour de force the next day, starting first lift to top of gm, flegere later and maybe even pop up to the aiguille du midi if its clear and survey the various lines I spend half my life reading about. Really disappointed I couldn't fit the binoculars in amidst the waterproof nappies and the like!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Today Wink

Flo pow from Tom Greenall
http://vimeo.com/63095431
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice Idris!

Spent the day at GM yesterday. Beautiful weather but it was easily the longest wait I have ever had for the top cable car of just under 2 HOURS from when we started queueing to when we got to the top....but it was SO worth it....

Came down the front side, next to Pylones, around 1pm and had fresh tracks all the way down to the top of the Herse lift. One of the best runs I have had down there. Smile

There were plenty more lines to be had but I wasn't going to wait for another 2 hours!

Hitting Les Houches for some cruisey piste skiing today.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Idris, looks amazing! The queues at the Midi yesterday morning were something to behold, though Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G wrote:
Idris, looks amazing! The queues at the Midi yesterday morning were something to behold, though Shocked

We turned up early doors and just waled straight on. Second lap just grabbed a bin ticket and went for coffee, all that standing around seemed unnecessary Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh god, that doesn't look very glamorous, however big fun in deep snow..! Blush
ski holidays
Indris, so jealous when I saw that video...amazing snow!
latest report
Thinking of a cheeky trip out in two weekends' time. Any detailed reports on conditions that will help me make up my mind would be gratefully received. I am feeling that if there ever were a season for a late trip, this one could be it...

PS I don't mind afternoon slush at all. Tipping over and railing through it in warm weather, followed by a cold beer at the bottom, is actually something I enjoy. Slush would not put meoff for a four day trip, as long as there's plenty of coverage and at least a couple of hours of "good" snow in the mornings...
snow conditions
Harry Flashman, there is plenty of snow, although I can't recall when the areas other than the GMs close. As you say, this is the season for a very late trip...
ski holidays
Skied gm today, nice, pistes in good condition off piste off the top lift wasn't too bad, I'd say the pistes there will definitely hold up for two more weeks. La tour in afternoon, unsurprisingly slushy / crap in general. Balme was great fun though had never made it over before. I imagine that whole area will be a write off in two weeks, unless there's more snow and cold which is perfectly possible. Didn't make it to flegere as I had planned as it was cloudy all day. Made return trip to the aiguille for similar cloud too Sad
ski holidays
8611, I think you're being pessimistic about La Balme. MInd you, all but the GMs will close April 21st anyway...
snow report
Right, under a new name: booked the flights, booked the car, told Lady Flash to pack her skis as we're off for one last hurrah for 4 days from 12th April.

7 trips this season (3 to Chamonix). That is definitely a record for me. Please let the snow hold - please!!!
snow conditions
Harry Flashman, well done. Nice.

Can't make any promises but you should see the sheer volume of snow out here Happy
ski holidays
Decided to go with the good weather and headed over to Courmayeur today just post 12pm.

I hadn't been to La Chaumiere for lunch all season even though I have skied in Courmayeur a few times already.
It did not disappoint and the new downstairs area is a great addition. Food was even better than I remember! Worth the travel from CHX just for that.

Skiing up top was still good but was fairly slushy approaching Plan Checrouit and the home run although great fun, was really almost like water skiing on the flat.

However, the fact that you can even ski down this late in the season was amazing in itself!
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:
Please let the snow hold - please!!!

Cannot see that being a problem for you at all on 12th April. Seriously good snow depths.
ski holidays
*excited*

Would like to try Courmayeur this time...have car, so completely do-able.
latest report
Harry Flashman, if you like a slightly eccentric but excellent lunch, Chiecco is terrific...
snow report
Perfect, under a new name; any and all suggestions for food, good slopes for late season skiing (I know little about aspect of Mont Blanc area slopes) are always gratefully received! Very Happy
snow report
Out tomorrow evening - up GM saturday ..... anyone want to meet ?
VB on Monday with Guide Didier - 3 of us .... room for a couple of extras if anyone interested.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like an extra week at Flegere if my French is correct. Now open until the 28th mornings only.

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/ouverture-prolongee-du-domaine-de-la-flegere-5820

Chiecco served me the best lamb I have ever had, yum yum.
snow report
PBJ wrote:
Out tomorrow evening - up GM saturday ..... anyone want to meet ?
VB on Monday with Guide Didier - 3 of us .... room for a couple of extras if anyone interested.

Leaving Saturday morning, otherwise I would have been right up for VB on Monday!! Have a great time.
ski holidays
jbob, how often do you see the season extended? Never in my lifetime! Ad yes, Chiecco, yum!
ski holidays
under a new name, it must be very rare.

If anyone is doing the VB watch out for the plane!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 4-04-13 22:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Plane on VB, for sale one careful owner, buyer collects.
ski holidays
Link not working, what is the story with the plane?!?
snow report
http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2013/04/04/chamonix-atterrissage-d-urgence-dans-le-massif-du-mont-blanc

Try that. A tourist flight had to crash land on the mer de glacé. The pilot and passengers were rescued by the PGHM.
snow report
Chamonix is a dangerous place, even for planes! Fun day in brevant flegere today, snow better than I thought, brittle but no ice yet. Best snow I found was probably on Floria, which must be one of my favourite pistes anywhere, great run. Quiet in general so piste fun to be had. Never realised the off piste potential there before, lots of accessible chutes under the cornu lift for instance, will have to come back on a powder day instead of just gravitating to gm like everyone else.
latest report
Am heading over to GM to ski and also to enjoy the festivities for GM's 50th anniversary. Any other snowHeads heading that way today?
latest report

^^ Some locals ready to 'drop in' spotted on my last trip.
latest report
What terrible fashion sense, fancy wearing a green hood with a blue fartbag.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., I see your fartbag trio and raise you....

One Lenny Henry:

One suit:

And one odd couple:
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy