Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2012/13 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Returned to Brevent today for the first time in a while. The off piste was in good nick and there was a little hill that was completely untracked, which is a bit of a shock in Cham! I spent the morning powder farming that hill and a bottom section of the Hotel Face (far skiers left), which was also untouched. Again, was shocked to find fresh tracks in easily accessible off piste.

Even though the board showed an avy level of 4, there were so many people skiing the Hotel Face that it may as well have been a piste. Watched a group of what sounded like Italians snowplough and side slip their way down it. Not a single bit of avy gear between them Skullie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was almost tempted to put the track in on the Hotel face on my way back last night, I promised myself I wouldn't when I woke up, wish I had now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Updated my TR: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2257344

Scored the Rectiligne untracked today. I almost cried.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamwow, another good tick.

Les Houches today was yuck. Gloomy most of the time with the piste being soft to slush, and the off being well, off. Felt like spring.

The wiggles show more of the same for the foreseeable future with rain/snow on and off, remaining warm!

Off home next week to freshies in the UK Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Challenging day today with very little visibility but it is snowing snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T minus 6 days. Snow forecast giving me the love for the night before my arrival. Meh, no doubt I'll be shopping and generally setting up the apartment for junior rather than making turns but I bet it'll be largely slushy anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So, tonight's storm has come early and it's been dumping down since I woke up this morning. Yay, means we get to ski it before all the Easter holidaymakers arrive (sorry but you know...) snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bah! Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shitting it down! Pente de la Hotel demain?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CH2O wrote:
Shitting it down! Pente de la Hotel demain?

Arghhh, I have some friends coming from Geneva tomorrow – Hotel face will be a bit too much for them. Enjoy it, damn you!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G, Which is the Hotel face ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.., Brevent, magic carpet, viewers right. Access top of Brevent, left under rope before rockwall top section.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndAnotherThing.., If you're going up the Tabe chair (the really slow one, the one you guys were on that day you shouted out my name), it's the big face directly in front of you. Or, to be more prosaic, the one that scares the crap out of me Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like today the forecast of 40cm, will be in town, up there, well tomorrow will be rubbish, probably sand, stay away.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The snow falling here, at 1550m is pretty clunky stuff, most definitely not champagne powder. But better than rain and probably better at altitude.
snow conditions
pam w, I'm at 1050, it's perfect stuff, dinner plates and now to lighter but more dense corn.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Looks like today the forecast of 40cm, will be in town, up there, well tomorrow will be rubbish, probably sand, stay away.

Laughing yes, it will be terrible. Just terrible. Best to just stay in bed Little Angel
snow report
Quote:

dinner plates

yeah, great big flakes, but pick up a handful and it makes a snowball. All looks v pretty though - at least as far as I can see, which isn't far.
snow conditions
pam w, I think with the warm temps we're having here, anything that falls will end up being sticky.
snow report
Zero-G, perhaps, I'll take my chances weather girls!
ski holidays
CH2O, whatever the snow is like, I'll be skiing! Two weeks ago, when I skied knee-deep heavy snow, was the first time I was aware of the soft flex of my boots – could feel the skis/snow pulling against my boots. Felt weird.
ski holidays
Zero-G, €€€€€€€€€€ wink swing by, it's "that" time of year! Think I got what Cha needs.
ski holidays
CH2O, Zero-G, Cheers. I've fancied a run on that but never fancies exploring on my own. If I recall then, the access is left (or straight on?) just past the big rocks\dogleg round the corner from the lift. Next time !
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., tap us up next time, best shown on a map, many different access points and exits.
snow conditions
CH2O, Cheers, will do. I have the maps and will look at it later.

Doubt I'll be back in Chamonix till next year now Sad
latest report
Guess what I'm on my way home:( had a great last day yesterday at Le Tour. Snow conditions irrelevant as it will be very different tomorrow. Take it easy thought all that fresh is going down on a very smooth base!

Btw, got busted the day before leaving the MB tunnel on the Italian side, I didn't have my car registration doc, I was let off but only after half an hour of chin scratching. Drove out of the valley this morning with huge flakes landing on the windscreen, I'm not too upset I've have a good time this year.
latest report
jbob, boo to last days... my own isn't too far away either. Danged season has gone by so quickly!

AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Cheers. I've fancied a run on that but never fancies exploring on my own. If I recall then, the access is left (or straight on?) just past the big rocks\dogleg round the corner from the lift. Next time !

That's far too complex. Turn left at the second yellow sign and pole like crazy.
ski holidays
Zero-G, are we going to have a beer before you go?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G wrote:
That's far too complex. Turn left at the second yellow sign and pole like crazy.

Laughing Laughing My sort of route finding !
snow conditions
Due out sat evening and the forecasts I'm looking at are suggesting snow then possibly clearing sunday and monday, tempted to get a guide to enjoy it to the full.

Where do people think will be in condition? We'll be two intermediate off piste skiers, have done all the accessible off piste around lower gm to death, ie bowls skiers right off hearse, skiers left off bouchard. Have also done vb and glacier argentiere with guide, the chutes at the bottom of the latter were prob the best of the lot imo. I assume it's too late for pas de chevre so maybe brevant is the best idea? I usually avoid it because the pistes take a hammering in the sun but I'm coming to realise that there's a lot of good descents there too, mostly from reading trip reports here.

Anyone any ideas? Also how is avalanche risk, I'm seeing 3/5 ?
snow report
Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 29-03-13 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Edit double post
ski holidays
Wet, very wet in places with periods of Damp!
snow conditions
Unbelievable day at GM today. Almost blizzard conditions but the skiing has been fantastic! (via SMS)
snow report
under a new name, am currently doing shots with Zero-G, she says let's meet for drinks tomorrow night. I am in no way responsible for any state she may or may not be in.
latest report
fixx, you are naughty.

We are having a quietish night in after a brandy-fest last night, by accident.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
fixx, you are naughty.

We are having a quietish night in after a brandy-fest last night, by accident.

Quiet drinks with us tomorrow night then, under a new name?
latest report
Zero-G, probably could be done, apres ski pre dinner?
ski holidays
under a new name, apologies, I didn't see your reply until now. Will PM you with my mobile number so that we can co-ordinate something in the in the next few days.

Snowed all day again today and the light was very flat, with periods of complete whiteout. Temps still warm so new snow was quite heavy but there was lots of it.

Dodgy phone photo of MartynaS demonstrating how deep it was today Toofy Grin

latest report
Zero-G, hmm deep but very heavy. The squash courts were dry and the tennis club lunch mighty fine.

Off to PDS tomorrow, back Friday...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy