Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2012/13 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, we thank you most profusely, it was good skiing out there today! I hopped off to the side to ski the trees whenever I could and it was great fun with a good 20cm of snow.

Mountain was quite busy today with loads of huge ESF groups and crazy Italians bombing out-of-control all over the place. Saw the blood wagon make three trips in the first 90 minutes this morning Shocked

Clouds came in around 1.30pm, totally socked in and couldn't see a thing. Hung around for about 30 minutes but the situation didn't improve.

The day started out like this:

And turned into this:
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bit flat today as well Sad did about 3 runs up the cornu and came down Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddiethebus, indeed it was. But I was elsewhere today and we actually found a little bit of untracked powder Shocked I'm going back tomorrow to play (and practise)!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have fun! i think its supposed to be a bit better tomorrow morning.....hopefully!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
orrible and sticky today especially on the lower slopes, really hard going on a board. couple of avalanches on the home run from brevent as well, one completely covering the piste...... Shock
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Listening to it rain all night last night, and with the rain-snow limit quite high up and 9 degrees C temperature highs, I figured today would be the perfect opportunity for a duvet day. Glad I stayed in bed!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah, right thing to do! were getting first lift up the morning i think, havent gone mac 10 on any groomers this season yet :0
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loads more rain last night, warm again today (5 degrees C in the valley). Am sitting here, eating breakfast, to the soundtrack of a long series of avy control blasts. Going to be interesting up there today.

At least we have snow forecast later this week. Looks like Friday is going to be the day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
was awful on GM this afternoon. Very hard packed and wind blown. They shut the higher lifts around 2, leaving just 2 slow chairs operating . . .so annoying as vis was very good for a change.
Last day tomorrow, going back to Les Houches in morning and hopefully up on Brevent/Flegere in the afternoon, weather permitting of course.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was at Brevent today. The the lower pistes were concrete and off piste was teeth-jarring unbreakable crust. The top of the Cornu and the Bozon had a very thin layer of softer stuff. Howling wind came up around 1pm and blew away what little snow there was.

On the plus side, thanks to AndAnotherThing.., I found an indoor hors sac at Brevent that I didn't know existed!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G, hors sac?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Picnic Room. We sat outside one once to eat our lunch thinking it was actually a restaurant. Doh.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow Hound, thanks although I knew that, didn't realise that's what they actually called them. I thought (!) the last time I looked it was a salle de pic-nic

Honest...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, you're not wrong! 'Salle de hors sac' is the full name. 'Hors sac' itself just means picnic.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, it's amazing how often you see something and think you saw something else!
ski holidays
Snowing up there today but many lifts and runs closed on all mountains. 80km/h winds at the top of GM with 50m visibility (40km/h wind and 100m vis at Brevent). Today may be a good day to do a few hundred laps in the swimming pool, methinks.
ski holidays
under a new name, I've also seen salle de pic-nic (and even salle de pique-nique), so your eyes are not deceiving you by any means.
ski holidays
truely orrible today, havent got out my PJ's all day Very Happy
snow report
Rained all day yesterday and last night at valley level with some snowfall up top.

Woke up this morning to the sound of furious avy control (at least an hour earlier than normal) and steady snowfall in the valley. Every lift in Chamonix is closed Sad
snow report
All lifts still closed apart from the nursery areas at Brevent and Le Tour and the avy control is still going on. Heading off to my Chamonix-is-closed fallback spot.
snow conditions
High wind restricted options this morning and we had to drop off at airport at 14h00 so we popped up Les Houches for a few runs.

Pistes in great condition, not as much snow as expected and clearly had rained on lower slopes, but all looking good.

You can tell it's the start of the vacances scol. however with all sorts of once a year kit out of the closet for its annual outing and some very once a year skiing. I am sure that some pf the practitioners were not born when some of the rather dated styles of skiing were fashionable!!
snow report
Grands Montets was in pretty good nick today, pity I wasn't. Was severely hungover and damaged, skied like a week 1 beginner Embarassed
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
You can tell it's the start of the vacances scol.
I thought we had another week or so before this year's kicked off?
latest report
Zero-G, you are almost right and I am completely wrong. Start feb 16.

So what were all the muppets doing out today then?
snow report
snow report
Woke up to snowfall in the valley and it looks like we're due to have light snowfall every day for the rest of this week. Yes! snowHead
ski holidays
yeah, day off for me. yesterday up brevent was havoc, massive que's for the couple of lifts that were open Sad

Feb's gona be a busy one Sad
ski holidays
and the first two weeks of March even busier. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah, hopefully the generally good conditions in the alps will spread the crowds rather then everyone desending on the higher resorts.......
snow report
eddiethebus, you should have been up there today. The snow was gorgeous – that light, fluffy, super speedy stuff! The visibility was absolutely shite but the snow was too good to not ski.

In the trees, it was 20-30cm deep and completely untracked. Took this pic just before skiing through those trees, which is when I discovered just how fast the snow was Shocked There was now way to slow down and I popped out the other side like a pip from a squeezed grape, slightly airborne over the edge of the piste. The landing was not pretty, even though I was laughing. I've pulled a muscle in my back Evil or Very Mad

After a couple of hours, the clouds came in so thick that I couldn't see two chairs in front of me on the way up. So called it a day and limped home to nurse the dodge muscle.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
So what were all the muppets doing out today then?

Despite today's poor visibility (or perhaps because of it), I paid real attention to the other people around me and I see what you mean. Perhaps these are all the childless people taking their annual ski hols before the French school hols start?
latest report
Zero-G, hope that back sorts itself out quickly - I did that one day, doing a muppet thing (path through the trees, came to a sudden hump, weight too far back, took off, crashed onto back) and it was quite sore for some time. From mid January I've noticed that crowds get steadily greater each week.
snow conditions
Shocked hope your backs ok Smile I suffered with the same after digging the car out a few weeks back. Not a lot of fun Sad
ski holidays
pam w, my weight was nicely forward the whole way through the trees (couldn't be anything but at that speed!) but the light was very, very flat and I didn't see that my exit had a tiny kicker that launched me into the air. I was a bit surprised but landed on both skis, at which point I leaned back, did a weird a twisty thing and feel over onto a hip.

The muscle should be fine, it's not serious but I can feel it. Gave it some snow treatment (in lieu of ice) and now have two giant heat wraps stuck to my back. There is no way I'm not skiing tomorrow because we're due more snow this evening and I've already swapped my bindings over to the Directors in anticipation Very Happy
snow conditions
Zero-G, looks nice!

My back has been dodgy since following a boarder off a cliff-ette last year (doh!). Said boarder compressed the powder in my landing zone and I pulled a bundle of muscles and thoroughly irritated my compressed disks. Daily exercises for me since then...
snow report
under a new name, it was, it really was. Though I don't yet have the fu to ski that type of snow without regularly face planting. It's alright though, it's soft.

Ouch to the compressed disks... I know that pain all too well Confused
snow report
Zero-G, Where was the pic ? Looks very nice..
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., Brevent, above the bottom of the Parsa chair. It's a small treed section but fun.
snow report
From down here, the visibility up there looks worse today than yesterday. I'll report back later.

Can someone clarify: Cham Meteo says rain-snow limit towards 1000m. Do they mean 1000m above sea level (which is the altitude down here on the valley floor) or 1000m above the valley floor?
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
From down here, the visibility up there looks worse today than yesterday. I'll report back later.

Can someone clarify: Cham Meteo says rain-snow limit towards 1000m. Do they mean 1000m above sea level (which is the altitude down here on the valley floor) or 1000m above the valley floor?

Above sea level . . .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy