Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere v Belle Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We're planning a family trip for 6th-13 April next year. We've two daughters who will be a big 5 and nearly 7, both with one week and a few Snowdome days under their belts so we're looking for greens and progression blues really. I've been to Belle Plagne before (and really liked it) but not to La Rosiere, so any comments most welcome! I get the impression La Ros is better for young families/nearly beginners but am a bit concerned by the lack of top height and south facing slopes at that time of the year?
BP is great for ski in/out but if our accommodation is away from the main lifts in La Ros, are you allowed to drive up (we will have a car) and drop kit off at the bottom of the slopes or is it a 'car free' place?

Cheers-help much appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi snowhound!
La Ros imo is lovely for beginners and kids and pretty good for adults (unless very advanced). Belle Plagne better for more advanced folk. As you say snow sureness can be a problem in La Ros as the home slopes are south facing, but you can go to la Thuile by ski which is north facing and has a good record into April. Lunch in Italy is lovely too. I can't comment on cars in La Ros, I assume there is a car park - someone on here will know - but it's not a very big resort. We had 3 family holidays in La Ros with Esprit and loved all of them, albeit in March rather than April.
Assuming that your girls will be in class/childcare all day? Get that organised first as you are in school holidays and all ski schools and childcare will be busy. Plenty of accommodation though, in April, even over Easter. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Belle Plagne would be a great choice for that time of year plenty of height and one of the nicest areas to stay....in my opinion FWIW
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, I'm inching towards BP (in fact it was my first choice) even though you get a lot more appartment for your money in La Ros, as they say, you go for the sno! Flip side is that the 5 year old won't need a lift pass. Does anyone know if there are any greens/beginners slopes around the village, it all looks a bit blue-ish on the piste map-if so, are they typically easy La Plagne blues? They can both do button lifts and chair lifts (with a bit of help). I was there a few years ago and can't remember and in any case, wasn't thinking about suitability for the nippers at that time!
snowyowl, yeah, plan to have the girls with the new Oxygene school in the morning and later afternoon. They only did mornings last year and were itching for more after lunch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowyowl wrote:
... you can go to la Thuile by ski which is north facing and has a good record into April. Lunch in Italy is lovely too.
That's a long trek for little ones, and the terrain on that side of the ski domain is generally more challenging than the La Ros side.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowhound, there are 2 free lifts at front de neige in the village and 2 free lifts in Les Eucherts. I wouldn't worry too much about snow in April, I've never had a problem skiing back to the village and some years there's still snow in the village through May, it's only the slopes below the village that close early. La Rosiere has always had a good snow record, check out the Ski Club history and when the Col to Italy opens, its closed from November to June most years.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lovely sunny days in lovely la Rosiere. The downside is the slopes are south facing and at that time of the year it could be rock hard early morning, and slushy by lunchtime
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Belle Plagne at 08.30 this morning

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?p=71175#p71175
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see snow on web cams so time to come back.

Belle Plagne by a country mile. We took our kids there a few years back before we bought in Les Arcs. Best holiday ever. It is an amazing location and car free. I always said if I had the money I would buy in Belle Plagne. Probably the best location in the whole of Paradski.

Don't waste time thinking about it. Book BP.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What la Ros does have is super ski schools for the kids. The slopes will be quieter and it is a cracking little town for kids. A family pass is great value so you will have more bucks to spend on other bits of the holiday, perhaps one of the ski-in apartments with a pool. There is a great bus service in la Ros should you not be ski in. You can park at the foot of the slopes but really wouldn't bother.

We took our kids there at that age, at Easter and had a brilliant holiday. We have been back 4 times since.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Awesome, thanks guys. I think we've discounted La Ros now, bit of a gamble perhaps quality-of-snow-wise, so we're back to La Plagne. One last question please-would Plagne Centre be better than Belle Plagne as Oxygene work out of here as well; is this where the greens/easy blues are? PS Not bothered by the look of the place, just suitability for kids on their second week!
Really appreciate the help!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowhound, On balance and in view of several snowHeads reports I would choose Belle Plagne over Plagne Centre....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowhound, As the old git Boredsurfing says. BP over Plagne centre. BP is fine for young kids and a great place to toboggan in the evening.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowhound, Oxygene are excellent and good news for you is that this season they will be running full programme of lessons out of Belle Plagne in addition to Centre. Check out their web site and sign up to their newsletters for details.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Right, time to put this thread to bed. Belle Plagne with Oxgene it is; thanks for everyone's help.
ski holidays
snowhound, Very wise decision. Its an amazing place. You won't regret it Cool
ski holidays
I am commenting on the variety for those with a car to ski La Rosiere

Yes there is two small car parks, in short succession one after the other, at the bottom of Ecudets chairlift at 1170m which I always used in every trip I went to La Rosiere. I would say a place should be there if you hit it 6 to 13 April, say before 10am.

At this time of the year the Ecudets run may be partly running out of snow but this chairlift is used to take visitors down as well as up. La Rosiere always boast to have better snow than others but its snow can also disappear faster than others too. It is the only resort in Tarantaise when you can ski two countries in one attempt. Personally no matter how other dismissing it I don't think one will satisfy oneself without going there at least once. There aren't many resorts offering twin countries experience.

Instructions to get the the lowest chairlift of La Rosiere:

(1) Starting from Bourg St Maurice centre, say at the train station, on road D1090 towards Tignes/La Rosiere/Ste Foy it is 1.8 miles before you hit a junction with D902 at a small village called Seez.
(2) Road is straight to D902 for Ste Foy and Tignes. You turn off at Seez to stick with D1090 sign-posted for La Rosiere.
(3) 3.3m after the junction you will see a side road for "Telesiege des Ecudets" go for it. You can use Google Street View to see the junction and sign post if not sure.
(4) The two small car parks are 0.8 miles from the turn off point.

Regarding which one is better than the other why not see it for yourself.

All you need to remember is Bourg St Maurice is approximitely the centre of Tarentaise Valley. Out of the valley 17miles is Moutiers for the 3v (continue another 17 miles is Albertville). Into the Valley from BSM 17 miles is Tignes and Val D'Iere. In between you can ski Valmorel, Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thoren, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Ste Foy, La Rosiere/La Thuile, Tignes/Val D.

You can try all of them in one trip if you have a car!
snow report
Belle Plagne all the way, although I have no doubt you would enjoy la Ros. If you are having adult lessons I would try Reflex Ski school in La Plagne.
snow report
Early or mid season with a young family it'd have to be La Roz all the way as BP and La Plagne in general are a bit soul-less. La Roz at least has a bit of alpine charm....but that late on the South facing slopes of La Rosiere would be like skiing porridge by about noon, unless you were lucky enough to have a late season cold snap, but that is a gamble.
I really enjoy La Plagne and there is loads of skiing for all tastes but I just loved La Roz for some reason...it just had a nicer feel. But it is each to his own
snow conditions
Might be late on the comment but I would vote BP at that time of year without doubt. La Ros in April is a risk on snow conditions. Okay most important thing is that the kids are happy and enjoy the snow; better snow goes a long way to help them have a good time.
Been to both resorts in April and both were good. Looking across to La Ros from Les Arcs last April made us pleased we were not there. The year before was hot everywhere but La Plagne was about the best around.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy