Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brrrr!! Down to -1C on Cairngorm Tonight.....In August!

Poster: A snowHead
It's gonna be a bit nippy up there tonight! Today (at 12C max) was the coldest August day for years in north east England - winter's on its way (we hope!) Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly feels autumnal tonight.

Not that unusual to get snow on the Cairngorms in summer. At altitude of 4000ft / 1200m the lapse rate (2c per 1000ft) means the summit of Cairngorm is on average 8 degrees colder than sea level.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was certainly chilly this evening when the sun went down. I was out for a cycle and I'm glad I had my leggings and long sleeve top on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cold cold cold in Durham, I was considering flicking the switch on the heating, but my dinner's warmed me up, and now I'm cuddling my kitten.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers Haggis_Trap - I seem to recall that last August saw quite significant
Quote:
snow on the Cairngorms in summer
I know it's not unusual - I'm just prone to over excitement at any signs of winter Laughing.

Anyway, regarding the lapse rate, Onthesnow.com has 'colder figures' than you Puzzled as follows:

Quote:
If there is NO snow (or the dreaded rain) falling from the sky and you’re NOT in a cloud, then the temperature decreases by about 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1,000 feet up you go in elevation. In mathematical speak that is 9.8 degrees Celsius per 1,000 meters.

However, if you’re in a cloud, or it is snowing/raining, the temperature decreases by about 3.3 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1,000 feet up you go in elevation. Thus meaning it’s a change of 6 degrees Celsius per 1,0000 meters.)

I'd be happy with the (slightly) colder version! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yip - lapse rate varies from about 1C to 3C per 1000ft (330m) depending on how humid it is. For typical Scottish maritime conditions 2C per 1000ft is usually a good estimate.

Roll on the neige Cool

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 30-08-12 21:11; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's only 7º here right now...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yesterday in The Times it said snow was forecast overnight for Cairngorm. Here in Cheshire it feels colder than I would like for August and when I got home tonight the husband had lit the fire Shocked It feels like early October Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very cold in Manchester right now. Car said 8c!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cold in Newcastle, just put the heating on!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
South Devon - air temperature of 9c right now, sea will feel warm as toast.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only 4 degrees this morning when I left home (5:40) and I live near Woking in the South East. Wish I'd worn my long sleeve cycling jersey. Brrr.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3º here at 6am. Brrrr!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frost on the roof in Edinburgh this morning, it's August FFS!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
4.5 degrees at 6 this morning in Darlington.
ski holidays
Was at the paralympic regatta at Dorney Lake by Windsor at 7am this morning and it was definitely Autumn. It was very Pearl Harbour.

....There was a nasty Nip in the Air

Apologies to any Japanese Snowheads but its one of my favourite sayings!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy