Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling all Skiboarders

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so i'm a long time skiboarder (skiing background) but new member on here, I was just curious to see if there were any members on here that also steered to the dark side?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh...hang around a while, I'm sure there are loads of bladers here who will be happy to join you.

The best place to ask about this "dark side" activity would be on TGR, very popular topic over there

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/3-Ski-Snowboard
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that one.... though i have had a look and it's the typical arrogant 12yo immaturity one expects from ski and board forums with plenty of flaming...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think there were 1-2 devout bladers last season, but in general sH are unlikely to admit such affinity.
A handful have certainly had a giggle on them, even on bashes, but well that was more wtf than a roffle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahhh the happy bladers.... I presume this is the few from 2007 that i have been reading about. Quite amusing to see how much hate there is even on this forum for the sport. I just guess people don't remember the years that skiboarding was in the winter X games. Laughing

I'm a proud skiboarder and would quite happily welcome anyone to the sport Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Urban_freestyle wrote:
Ahhh the happy bladers.... I presume this is the few from 2007 that i have been reading about. Quite amusing to see how much hate there is even on this forum for the sport. I just guess people don't remember the years that skiboarding was in the winter X games. Laughing

I'm a proud skiboarder and would quite happily welcome anyone to the sport Smile

Does it have a point yet? wink What makes it objectively better than skiing aside from mad trix where arguably skiing has caught up anyway. Don't know not seen any top class skiboarding beyond the Pain McShonkley classic which keeps the dream alive and Rahlves usually skins the opposition in the Chinese Downhill.

http://youtube.com/v/k64MdVoDK-4
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You need to investigate the Junk Show episodes from Revel8 Skiboards on youtube.

Or the media section on the skiboard forum here: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

As for it having a point yet? what makes skiing objectively better or any other skiing dicapline any better than annother?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing - you can go faster with more control than other wintersports discipline, touring and traversing is easiest, powder easy on the the right kit

Snowboarding - different types of turns, intuitive flow in powder due to float, like for like novices can ride deep snow easiest

Telemarking - all about the turn and elegance

Monoskiing - a bit of old school style

Skiboarding?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's only about 1 skiboarder on here to call Wink

Who cares whether one form of sliding is "better" than any other? Do what you enjoy doing most Smile Some of us do do more than one kind of sliding snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Skiing - you can go faster with more control than other wintersports discipline, touring and traversing is easiest, powder easy on the the right kit

Snowboarding - different types of turns, intuitive flow in powder due to float, like for like novices can ride deep snow easiest

Telemarking - all about the turn and elegance

Monoskiing - a bit of old school style

Skiboarding?

Skiboarding is similar to all of those diciplines.

Skiboarding: freedom whilst riding, great feedback from the terrain, easy to pick up and yet difficult to master, different type of flow while riding.

If anything i think that skiiers (dependant on kit but i'm talking general all mountain skis) are no faster than a set of Lacroix boards. I find skiing on my Liberty Phil Larose Pro 171s easier than skiboarding as the skis do more work. Skis are more forgiving in the park as there is a lot of margin for error. Snowboards work in the pow but then you could argue why would you ever want to ride pontoons in the pow if a snowboard is better? There are many reasons people decide to chose a different sport or different types of skis / boards / skiboards / snowblades and i just don't see why there is so much of a devide among snow sports enthusiasts. As far as i'm concerned you can come down the slope on your butt as long as you're having a good time doing it.

With monoskiing yes there is a bit of oldschool style but skiboards (propper ones not snowblades) were out before the first twintip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Don't know not seen any top class skiboarding beyond the Pain McShonkley classic which keeps the dream alive

Never seen so many 'experts' spend so much time on their bottoms. The 'dream' would appear to require much padding around that area ... and the hips ... and a helmet .... and wrist supports ... and some form of back brace. And half a brain.

Seriously, the 'sport' has died enough times - give it a decent burial.

Quote:

what makes skiing objectively better or any other skiing dicapline any better than annother?

:the ability to stay upright and in control for more than 15 seconds, for a start.

(Sorry about this - just giving my inner 12yo an airing.)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HAHA nice one Ratty, As for the sport dying we could say that about a lot of sports.

The ability to stay upright can be contested while looking at any skiier or boarder for that matter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Urban_freestyle wrote:
As far as i'm concerned you can come down the slope on your butt as long as you're having a good time doing it.

This of course is right, but skiboarding evangelists have 3 problems to contend with:

1) They persist in flying in the face of popular nomenclature which will always know them as blades
2) No non-user over about 14 could ever consider they'd be cool unless they also think wearing a jester hat is normal attire.
3) Too many gibbon stance incompetent users as a proportion of the population of total users.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The ability to stay upright can be contested while looking at any skiier or boarder for that matter.

yeah, the difference is that skiiers/boraders tend to be doing it from an upright stance.

I'm just kidding anyway (although it has to be said from personal observation that all of fatbob's points are accurate) - I'm more than happy for skiboarders to putter around on the mountain. They are much less intrusive and less slope damaging than certain other types of users ..... {tries hard not to look at the boarders}

The real grip I have is that they cannot agree what a skiboard actually is. Used to be anything <1m with a non-adjustable binding but various manufacturers seem to be punting out +1m skiboards now. What's that about????
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can agree that a vast majority of people on short skis, blades etc don't know what they are doing and give the minority of good riders a bad name. I can also agree about the changing of definition. I believe it used to be a sub 100cm ski which is SYMETRICAL (first falling step for snowblades) that uses a standardised 4x4 non release binding (they were always adjustable)
ski holidays
They're called blades. Live with it.

They are worse at every single aspect of mountain travel than skiing. Still have never ever seen anyone (in the flesh on on video) skiing/blading well on them, or looking in anyway good or stylish.
latest report
The thing that confuses me is that between years upon years of combined seasonaire experiences in the general community, no-one I've ever met, or has posted online, about "that ripping skiboarder" they knew. Funny that :\
snow report
Dudes, can't you tell when someone starts a fake account to troll you? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

no-one I've ever met, or has posted online, about "that ripping skiboarder" they knew.

That's because most snowbladers are 'tards..
And yet again there is annother forum that consists of people so far up their own asses that their own sport is the best that they won't welcome change or something different. Well done for being like all the other forums out there.
ski holidays
Urban_freestyle, no-one is saying that their sport is best, just that snowblading is rubbish Wink

Also, it's hardly new or different, people have been peddling short skis since the 80s and they've never really caught on to the mainstream. Plenty of other new innovations that have happened in that time (snowboards and twintips spring to mind particularly...) are now widely accepted, so it's not a case that people will not welcome change. Yet snowblades are not very popular. Don't you think that says something?

FWIW I spent an afternoon on some blades and it was pretty entertaining, it was a good laugh. But ultimately nothing more than that.
ski holidays
Urban_freestyle, very best of luck to you and your pals (if you find any). I look forward to bumping into you on the slopes soon.
ski holidays
Quote:

most snowbladers are 'tards..

Which is broadly the point everyone was making really. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

most snowbladers are 'tards..

Which is broadly the point everyone was making really. Laughing

agreed. but not everyone is..... it's like the whole skiiers hate snowboarders snowboarders hate skiiers thing. I mean really....

As for them not being new... you're right neither is mono skiing.
ski holidays
Urban_freestyle, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just a troll and are a real ski-boarder actually you'll probably find that most people here would be happy to ski or board with you regardless of what you have on your feet. I don't choose my friends on the basis of their brand of shoe or trainer after all.

And you well know that there isn't any skiers v snowboarders thing among people who are genuinely into those pursuits (rather than being more interested in status or tribalism). Everyone knows boards suck on traverses, but not as bad as digging for a ski on a powder day wink
snow conditions
Yeah i'm a real skiboarder. and i have ridden snowblades for a few years.... and skis (Liberty Phil Larose Pro with salomon STH 12 bindings, Nordica Double Six boots and Salomon Patrol Poles) and also boarded for a week... although it ended with me flying superman style onto ice and fracturing 4 ribs. bad times.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
And you well know that there isn't any skiers v snowboarders thing among people who are genuinely into those pursuits (rather than being more interested in status or tribalism).
Hear, hear!
latest report
Urban_freestyle wrote:
Good to hear that from a skiboarder as that's my only concern with them. Someone sliding down a slope with great skills is a pleasure to watch, regardless of what they are sliding on.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Urban_freestyle wrote:
Good to hear that from a skiboarder as that's my only concern with them. Someone sliding down a slope with great skills is a pleasure to watch, regardless of what they are sliding on.

I think possibly one of the most agreeable comments here Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Someone sliding down a slope with great skills is a pleasure to watch, regardless of what they are sliding on.

Although if they're too good it's always funny if they then fall on their arris/nose.
latest report
If I remember rightly, blades started life as a training aid for ski racers so, initially, it was just the very best skiers on the mountain using them. Anyway, live & let live, each to their own etc.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller; Les Arcs' ESF ski school teaches the ski evolutif method, where students are taught parallel turns from the beginning, but on very short skis (that get progressively longer through the first week).
So yes they do use these short skiis to assist.

It's one of those good times where i enjoy it and that's what matters Very Happy

I was just hoping that some other skiboarders were on this forum.
latest report
Quote:

I was just hoping that some other skiboarders were on this forum.

Depends what you call a "skiboarder".

Plenty on here have used various sliding devices of shorter than normal length (Big Foots, Snowblades, 120's, etc.).
Some own said devices.

I know of approximately 3 people in the entire history of this forum that would publicly call themselves a "skiboarder". One of them is in this thread, and the other 2 from a thread last year.

Given that sliding on shorter than normal skis is a tiny majority of snow users, and within that tiny majority, there is another tiny majority that would use them as a preferred method of sliding rather than just an occasional "messing around on blades for 1 afternoon", I would say good luck finding other skiboard enthusiasts (on any forum, that's not a dedicated skiboard/snowblade forum).
ski holidays
Fair enough....

Might have to talk about my skis then....
snow conditions
Urban_freestyle wrote:
Bode Swiller; Les Arcs' ESF ski school teaches the ski evolutif method, where students are taught parallel turns from the beginning, but on very short skis (that get progressively longer through the first week).
So yes they do use these short skiis to assist.
ESF Les Arcs haven't taught Ski Evolutif for at least a decade, and quite possible a lot longer than that.
snow report
That is very possible, Les acrs was the first resort in europe to offer this training style but i don't have any detail when.
ski holidays
Does anyone remember things we called "fun carvers","extreme carvers" or "super carvers"?
circa 1998 about 140cm long and extremely waisted.
We could get hold of them or rent them almost every where.
I cant seem to find any mention of them any more.

Excuse me if it turns out these forum pages are full of them.
ski holidays
Not familiar with those i'm affraid. I do remember Big Feet though!
snow conditions
I am a skiboarder. Summit marauders with griffon freeride bindings
latest report
Sounds like a nice setup. How do you find them? i have been looking at a new set (not that i need them) stuck between sherpas and the rockered condor... :-/
snow conditions
Prefer the direct mount than the spruce riser.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy