Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I'm in the process of trying to organise some accommodation in St Anton (B&B) for myself and my partner for our honeymoon. We've sort of narrowed it down to Skihotel Galzig, Aparthotel Anton and Hotel Valluga. Has anyone stayed in any of these places? Essentially, we are quite keen on somewhere close to the slopes but want somewhere a bit special too. I appreciate the first two are right next to the slopes and the latter is a bit of a schlep.... but it does look quite nice. I'd appreciate any other suggestions too! Finally, any suggestions of watering holes for apres would be swell!! Cheers folks. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey how long have you got!?
Dont know the places you mention but the following are well worth consideration:-

Mooserwirt hotel - very trendy new hotel in a very buzzing place, well worth considering. Out there right now and word is they will be doing deals for next year.

Rundeck - loads of new building going on currently.

Rosa Canina - again lots of new work done, looks very good, 4* garni.

One called Pelequin (I think thats the spelling) - google it, very smart chalet aparthotel and great location.

Hotel Anthonys - brand new, right next to Galzigbahn and bars etc

M3 - Fussgangerzone, and ideal for apres

Montana - again very central

Many others - if you see any and want advice re location ect just PM me, know St Anton pretty well......

Bars/ apres - depends what you are after but here goes:-

On slopes/ early doors..........Mooserwirt, Griabli, Krazy Kanagaruh, Anton Bar, Sennhutte, Fangbar, Underground, Bar Jacksys, Bar Cuba, Murmele, Tapps, Bobos, Scottys, Base Camp, Hausstadl etc etc...............all worth a visit. Food options many and plenty........

This will maybe also help................... http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/lunch.html

Have fun!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just relised Skihotel Galzig great location and looks the business, also look at Pepis ski hotel great champagne bar also, smart gaff!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just got a quote from the M3 hotel. This looks pretty sweet, not as good location as the Galzig but the rooms looks great and its right in the middle of all the action. Possibilities. Thanks for your suggestions Markymark29. Is the Mooserwirt bar as crazy as I'm led to believe? It looks immense. Have to visit this!! Despite many many ski trips, I've never been to St Anton, I can hardly wait. Also, I've heard its good for those wanting to 'safely' dabble in a bit of off piste....ie 'natural pistes'. Any good spots to visit? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mooserwirt Hotel is, apparently, very nice and you don't get bleed over from the bar wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Also, I've heard its good for those wanting to 'safely' dabble in a bit of off piste....ie 'natural pistes'

Tordi: It being your honeymoon, I'm sure you'll find out.....Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tordi, Loads of OP to go at but you need to be careful - suggest you maybe take a guide. There's a guy called Torben who is a SH, guide in St Anton suggest you contact him, he'll show you around.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict Shock Hahaha. Markymark29, this is a good shout, I'll check this out. This is always a problem with OP.......its tempting, but I don't have the necessary experience or equipment, making it dangerous. OP equipment is crazy expensive too! Fingers crossed for another immense season. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tordi, Pepis Skihotel is really smart. Mobile phone as key, shower doubles up as steam room - need I say more for your honeymoon. Few of the lads stayed there a few years ago and loved it.
One of the lads has also stayed at the Anton hotel/apprtments which was great and hard to beat in terms of location.

Apres wise - the Krazy Kanguruh and Mooserwirt are a must if you're 1st timers there - although personally I'm a bit fed up with the two. We've always had great times in Griabli (opposite Mooserwirt) - best beer, table service and great band The Snowtones (although only a couple of days a week - they play at Piccadilly the other days which is definitely worth a visit).

There's so much choice for apres so just depends on whether you want the madness of the Moos or something more laid back

Looks like I'll be heading back again on 2nd March Very Happy subject to wife's approval Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Tordi, I've not stayed there, but the Hotel Valluga looks very nice. For many years it was a traditional hotel run by the quite fierce looking, but very friendly, Iris. It had a lot of loyal guests many years ago. It changed hands recently (at the start of last season I think) and if the website is anything to go by they have done a serious overhaul. It looks very good. It is a bit of a walk to the lifts, not too far but not as close as the Anton. They may have a minibus to take you to the lift (not 100% sure but worth checking). It's a great location for the evening though, a short walk to the main drag but in a quiet location.

There are a lot of very nice hotels in St Anton these days; a lot of investment is going in an hopefully the competition between them will keep standards high, but I doubt they'll compete on price, they are too canny for that.

As for off-piste, I'm wouldn't say it was a good place to dable really... there are ski routes which are un-pisted but avalanche controlled, however they get tracked out the instant they open. If you want to ski this type of run and you get lucky with the weather then head to Lech, they stay untracked there for a couple of hours longer:-) It is absolutely worth hiring a guide though, they will lend you the gear, show you how to use it and teach you technique, as well as finding good snow. In addition to Torbs I would also recommend Piste2Powder, you just book in and they put you in a group and don't need to hire a guide to yourself. It's not cheap, something like €90 per day, but well worth it IMHO.

Totally agree with boabski, about the Moos and the KK. You have to at least take a look and experience the Moos, but I haven't bothered in the last decade. The Griabli or Underground-on-the-Piste suit me better. Also looking at heading back on March 2nd Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah, Agree with all your points, never done Piste2Powder but seen the groups and they arent hanging about.

Tordi, The OP in Zurs/ Lech early in the day after a fresh fall is awesome, the bowl under the Madlochbahn down to Zursersee is pretty special and loads of routes and OK for messing about in the slack country and finding OP legs, but Av gear is advisable even here.

By the way ran past Hotel Valluga earlier today and loads of building work going on, looks very tricky - as at Rundeck also........never seen as many hotels being worked on in St A. Zurs is one big building site! Amazing investment.

Word is also that the Rauz to Albona new bubble (with mid station for connection from Stuben) and Zurs link up to Trittkopf will be done in 2 years, great stuff. Locals trying top stop Kappl link to Ischgl too, great move, I personally dont want Rossfall/ Rendl spoilt.

sah, boabski, Will be there early March week also, staying in Stuben........maybe catch a few runs?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oops arriving 9th rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
sah, Agree with all your points, never done Piste2Powder but seen the groups and they arent hanging about.

I'm a bit of a P2P fan boy, I'll try not to go on about them too much, but I've had some very good skiing with them. No hanging about but they do take all levels of off piste skier, and they take lunch seriously too!

Quote:
sah, boabski, Will be there early March week also, staying in Stuben........maybe catch a few runs?

Sounds good. Not sure on exact dates yet... and am also pondering Stuben:-) We're doing a long weekend in Stuben earlier in the season. I'll PM you if/when I book the early March trip. It might be Bregenzerwald or Montafon anyway... looking to explore a bit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, Doing Montafon for 2 days over NewYear also, like you heard good things about it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tordi, A brand new hotel being worked on ready for new season in Nasserein right next to the main lift, www.alpenleben.at..............looks very nice from outside and great quiet location but very handy for ski lift in morning and staggerring distance back after apres (if thats your thing!) and free ski bus stops nearby 50m away, takes 2 mins from St Anton.
ski holidays
All things considered, we decided to go for the Galzig in the end. The location is brilliant and the rooms look good, great reviews too. Thanks for all your help! Roll on January. Very Happy
latest report
Tordi, Where did you book in the end ?
snow conditions
It was a close on between the Pepis Hotel, M3hotel and the Skihotel Galzig. We went for Skihotel Galzig in the end. Its got the location and a glittering reviews. Lets face it....no one likes walking in ski boots. Laughing
snow report
Tordi, Just a quick suggestion - The Base Camp apres bar backs onto the Hotel Galzig and its fairly major apres Austrian stylii until c.7.30pm, and they have a conservatory across the back of the Base Camp which may not be that sound proof.....could be worth emailing them to allocate you a room at the other side of the building which may be quieter?
ski holidays
Markymark29, or anyone else for that matter, do you know of any reasonably priced place that's relatively central that will take non week to week bookings in advance? I'm looking for a thurs to a Mon so can see why they might be reluctant.

Anywhere I tried was either no or no answer
ski holidays
8611, email the tourist office for pensions, you may have more luck out of the centre though - Nasserein/Pettneu/St Jacob/etc.
snow report
8611, I think St Anton does seem to be on the slightly more expensive side, but the accommodation looks a lot better than some of the places I've stayed in France over the years. Seems like you might get more for your money. We are stay Monday-Wednesday (9 nights), and nearly everywhere we asked could accommodate us despite not being a Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun booking. The places we got quote from were...

Skihotel Galzig
Pepis Hotel
M3Hotel
Aparthotel Anton
Hotel zur Pfeffermühle
Hotel Valluga

These aren't necessarily the cheapest places. But I'm sure there are other hotels that could accommodate you. St Anton seems to have quite a selection on hotels! The das Mooser also looks amazing, but never replied to us....so we took our dosh elsewhere. Snooze you lose!

Snow on Rendl yesterday.....exciting!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Markymark29, thanks for the heads up. I'd say its more likely that we'll be in the bar than trying to sleep Toofy Grin so its probably not a massive problem. I did ask for a quiet room though! Just in case they were going to situate us next to a main road or something.
ski holidays
No main roads round there, you'll have a gret time!
latest report
8611, Try Angelika and Haus Falch Roman, they do like weekly bookings though.

Tordi, You'll find the whole quality thing a pleasant surprise I reckon, great service.
snow report
Thanks lads, a few days worth of emails there Tordi I agree, better value than France, less of the sardines at premium price mentality, just any place that would ever take a non weeks booking in advance wanted like 350 per night. 150 per double is at top of my range. Usually doable, you just have to wait until the week before.
latest report
Quote:

no one likes walking in ski boots

fair point but you will need to learn to dance in them wink
latest report
boabski, dancing I can manage. When the dancing starts, several glasses of pain-relieving apres have usually been consumed. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re. Non week-long bookings... It's a pain and something I've often mentioned on here too Smile However it is possible, try Haus Gamberg for a very nice B&B. Last year we did a long weekend staying in the apartment above Tom Dooleys, that was very good value although maybe not the poshest place, it did the job for 4 blokes for a long weekend. The only real problem with that place was the smell of smoke from the bar downstairs.
snow report
Thanks Sah. I think most people still go week to week, or at least accomodation providers don't seem to be losing business by holding out for them. Interestingly Pierre et Vacances take four day bookings so they've clearly identified the market associated with it. In the era of cheap flights these kind of breaks are more common I think. My last ten trips have been like that, mainly because it suits me for work not to miss a full week at a time.

Does anyone know if Sidney takes bookings for split weeks?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy