Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Into my second season, some (dumb) questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

I'm a beginner (done one week last year on blue runs in La Plagne) so please excuse my dumb questions.

1. Does it make sense to book lift passes and skies via our tour operator (crystal) or it's cheaper to sort this our in resort (Les Arcs this year)? Last year we booked everything with them and didn't bother to check local prices.

2. Does it make sense to invest in boots given we are going to do 1-2 week every year? We didn't have any problem with rented Head boots last year at all, i.e. no discomfort.

3. If #2 is yes, what price range to look for? I also read on here that boot fitting is important, but is it REALLY necessary or it's ok to just pick boots I feel comfy in and that's it. I'm not an extreme guy (nor is my wife) we'll just do relaxed blue/red runs no blacks or off-piste.

appreciate any help
Oleksii
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oleksii, Hi and welcome to snowheads.

Unless you somehow qualify for a discount letting the TO do the passes saves time and should be the same cost.

If you have been bitten by the ski bug then getting boots is the first step. Well fitted boots are very important and will help both with comfort and advancing your ability. It can be usefull if not the cheapest to buy in the resort at the beginning of your next trip then any adjustments can be made after you have tried them in resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having worked for tour companies (the one in question too) though not as a ski rep I was the IT Technition that makes the magic happen I can say that there is no benefit (in my experience) of buying your lift passes yourself. The reps used to earn comission and occasionally the lift passes were cheaper in resort but this is no longer the case.

I would suggest buying your own boots as opposed to popping your feet into other peoples sweat sacks. you can get very reasonable off season deals on boots at the moment but i would HIGHLY recommend getting a pair fitted at somewhere like snow and rock or ellis brigham otherwise you'll be moaning like a good'un. The boots will take a little time to settle in to your feet but you'll love it when you do.

When buying any ski gear be honest with the fitter. Don't try to impress otherwise you'll end up with the wrong boot and a lot of pain. I picked up son Nordica Double Six boots last year for £300 and love them! I'm now looking out for a set of snowboard boots for my powderboards.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi oleksii, welcome to snowHead

I'd agree with advice already offered.

Regarding skis, after one particularly manic holiday when the world and his many wives all descended from same tour group on a smallish shop and where the gear was not that great, I've just booked it myself online since. There are a few big boys that have shops all over the Alps. Discount codes appear in the autumn and you can get great deals and in my experience a bit cheaper than the tour ops. If you like the feeling of just beating the system that teeny weeny bit then this option might appeal. Not at all difficult online to find the location of a ski shop within a short walk of most central hotels/chalets; worked for us in Les Arcs a few years back (we were staying near the link to La P). Think that pre-booking does make it cheaper compared to just showing up.

Enjoy Les Arcs, I'm sure you'll have a blast Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oleksii, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I'm going to run slightly against the flow here, and suggest that if you were comfortable in your rented boots, and have only done one week, then maybe buying your own boots is not the priority (though I entirely agree that there's no point at all buying your own unless you get them expertly fitted; might as well hire).

Usually, hiring boots when you hire skis costs little extra (though they can be quite costly to hire on their own).

You might not have been "bitten by the ski bug" yet and maybe the top priority for expenditure at this stage is good quality lessons, preferably in a small group of no more than 6 people. If you find hire boots unsatisfactory, and/or if you become a better skier and feel the need for the improved control that only good fitting boots can give you, that would be the time to buy.

Note that British skiers (including me!) tend to be "gear freaks". wink There are plenty of French people who are very good skiers and have been skiing since they were 3 years old who hire both skis and boots each year and could ski the pants off most of us.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with Pam totally ..... if you are only doing a week or 2 a year and your feet are normal and rented boots comfortable I'd wait a couple of years.
Spend the cash on an extra long weekend on the slopes in april !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some people have a more individual foot shape than others. Some makes tend to be better for particular foot shapes.

If you do buy boots the most common mistake is to get them too loose. It may feel more comfortable walking in the shop in boots that don't hold your feet firmly but you don't want your feet to move in the boot when you ski and remember the linings will loosen a little as they pack down with early use. However spend a long time walking around in the shop to see they don't press uncomfortably. If you find there is a pressure point when you ski you can take the boots back and get the lining ground down at the pressure point. One reason for buying in resort (or trying them out at a snowdome).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sometimes the tour operators are cheaper and more convenient than buying in the resort, sometimes not. Check the price in the resort and the exchange rate then check the price the tour operator is charging, it is as simple as that.
One point that needs watching, however, is if you arrive in the resort first thing in the morning having come on the train or by coach. We had one rep trying to persuade is to wait until the afternoon then buy a 1/2 day pass while he got a 7 day pass later in the day. We still had to go to the lift pass office and it was obvious that a 8 day pass was much less expensive than a 7 day plus one day. With machine dispensed lift passes there is no longer any queue in the lift pass office so it is not in the least bit inconvenient.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@all, thank you for warm welcome and advices!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy