Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on buying first pair of skis.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey snowheads,

I'm doing my first season next year and I want to get some skis, most probably a second hand pair or old season pair from ebay for pretty cheap! I'm not really sure what kind of length to go for, I'm hoping to get a pair of all mountain type skis with twin tips because i plan to ski alot of off piste. I'm 5'9 or 176cm and I ski anything quite agressively if that helps. My problem is i don't really know what kind of length ski would suit me. If you could point me in the direction of what kind of length to go for it would be much appreciated!

Thanks. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a general rule of thumb 3-8cm shorter than you if its an all mountain rocker type ski

I am 181cm tall and use a 178cm length ski ( 80mm waist ski but not twin tip )

So as a ROUGH guide for you a 172cm ish will be fine,

This is a very rough guide only
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tomo54 wrote:
I ski anything quite agressively if that helps.

This is the internet; everyone skis aggressively here!

The answer is, of course, "it depends". It'll depend on your weight, and your experience amongst other things... what have you skiied on before? How much have you skiied before? The normal suggestion is to rent and demo, but I guess that might be a bit expensive or inconvenient for you.

If I had to pull some numbers out of my arse, I'd say "180-ish", give or take. But don't take my word for it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rough guide ski length calculator

http://ski-calculator.com/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timbobaggins wrote:
Rough guide ski length calculator

http://ski-calculator.com/

That calculator comes up really short for me. Use it as a starting point, certainly, but don't rely on it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems okay for pistey carvey stuff... it agrees with the length of ski I last used in a fridge Smile

Doesn't consider twin tip, rocker (of which there are many kinds), weight or terrain. Ski length calculators and tables generally don't.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do wonder, sometimes, when I look at recommendations for lengths. I'm 5'8" tall, 85Kg (although hopefully a little less after all my recent exercise) and all the recommendations are for around 170ish

When I got my Movement Jams, I went for 183 I'd skied smaller sizes (indeed the Zips I skied in March were 173 iirc) but I found they all felt too short and twitchy compared to my old 205 Dynastar Assaults.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I think it's worth skiing different kinds of ski and different lengths of ski to find what works best for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just bought my first pair. i wanted similar thing. went to eellis brigham and had a demo. tried 4 sets. the salomon rx800 was my favourite but they recomended th k2 impact also which they did not have in stock. I did some research and went for the impact, Last seasons model with bindings for 250 inc delivery. I am your size and weigh 12 stone. we were skiing on 170s with the demo ski and the k2 i bought were a 167
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have a season, ski it in the resort from a shop, buy what you like. Most people end up wishing they had bought the other skis when they advance in tequnique off piste. (have some lessons)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all your help people! I have skied for 9 weeks previous but have never really paid much attention to what i have hired in the past, I normally ask for something that goes well on and off the piste! I think I will just take a punt at some around 172 and see what happens, get them cheap from ebay and if I don't like them put them back on. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy