Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Maintenance - rust & binding storage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok, we went to chill factore on Saturday night, drove up to the lakes on Sunday, did an 8 hour walk and got back to Liverpool after midnight, then went to see my sister before heading back home to the Isle of Man last night, so only just got around to unpacking my skis and they have rust on the edges. Mad

Had a quick search on the forum and I've got a few questions.

It seems I need a gummi stone and maybe some notwax? Gummi stone, I guess I just use like an emery board to rub the rust off, what do I do with the notwax? Just rub it on? Is it a was like shoe polish or is it more like oil? Just on the edges? Best place to buy some? Puzzled

Storage of skis - I was going to leave them facing each other in a ski bag with the brakes closed (i.e. meshed together), but the skis came with plastic loops to hold the brakes open - is there a correct way to store skis? Puzzled

That then takes me onto the whole area of edging and waxing - I live on an island and I might be able to find someone with the right kit to do this, but is it possible to just book someone at a resort for around the end of the holiday so I can drop off in the evening and pick up in the morning - or do most people wait until they get home and drop them off locally? snowHead

The latter option is probably not an option for me - so I might need to look at doing the basics myself, so is there a minimum tool kit I need for edging and waxing and who will let me practice on their skis? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can always drop your skis off at a ski shop in the resort for a edge and wax overnight, but since they service a lot of rental skis on a Friday or Saturday night they may be too busy to do yours. To prevent the edges rusting in storage make sure they are dry before you put them away and/or give them a spray with aerosol wax. I usually store my skis with brakes interlocked but not clamped together tightly. And I do not store them in the ski box but allow ventilation.

Generally I do all the servicing at home, but have had the odd service in the resort. I have never had skis serviced in the UK (or the Isle of Man)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sack the Juggler, given your location on the Isle of Man, i'd set yourself up with the basic kit. Spyderjon will be here soon but if you can't wait, here's his website. He'll sort you out with all the kit you need.

www.jonsskituning.co.uk

I expect it's a bit far for you for a tuning lesson but if you do happen to be passing Nottingham, i'd recommend a visit.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely service them yourself- you can pick up the basic kit for under £100 and it's not hard to learn. I find it very satisfying. The Spyderjon link above is a good one, or try edge and wax for the kit. I think Spyderjon does a DVD that explains how to do a service. Agree with the above regarding storage- keep them open to the air. Generally for longer term storage I do a wax and don't scrape off the edges, that stops them from rusting over the summer. Have fun!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sack the Juggler, Don't put them in the ski bag wet. I let mine dry in the car on the way home from Hemel - no rust.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sack the Juggler, I wouldn't bother worrying about the rust. It is most probably superficial and will come off when you start skiing.

For me its ok putting wet skis in a ski bag but not for more than a couple of hours, before they need to come out and get dry. Not sure if its good for the skis but I am rather lazy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sack the Juggler wrote:
ok, we went to chill factore on Saturday night, drove up to the lakes on Sunday, did an 8 hour walk and got back to Liverpool after midnight, then went to see my sister before heading back home to the Isle of Man last night, so only just got around to unpacking my skis and they have rust on the edges. Mad

Had a quick search on the forum and I've got a few questions.

It seems I need a gummi stone and maybe some notwax? Gummi stone, I guess I just use like an emery board to rub the rust off, what do I do with the notwax? Just rub it on? Is it a was like shoe polish or is it more like oil? Just on the edges? Best place to buy some? Puzzled

Storage of skis - I was going to leave them facing each other in a ski bag with the brakes closed (i.e. meshed together), but the skis came with plastic loops to hold the brakes open - is there a correct way to store skis? Puzzled

That then takes me onto the whole area of edging and waxing - I live on an island and I might be able to find someone with the right kit to do this, but is it possible to just book someone at a resort for around the end of the holiday so I can drop off in the evening and pick up in the morning - or do most people wait until they get home and drop them off locally? snowHead

The latter option is probably not an option for me - so I might need to look at doing the basics myself, so is there a minimum tool kit I need for edging and waxing and who will let me practice on their skis? Toofy Grin

hi there,

if you require any basic servicing equipment then please feel free to get in touch and we can arrange a little service pack (files, iron, wax etc etc)

if you are a regular to skiing then it may be worth investing in a little kit for the future. You may need to get the bases stone ground at a shop or in resort ever year or two depending on how frequently you travel

hope this has helped a little...........

AT
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anything_technical wrote:
You may need to get the bases stone ground at a shop or in resort ever year or two depending on how frequently you travel

I recognise you are the experts but most non racing skiers would say never go anywhere near a stonegrinding machine unless you REALLY trust the shop if you want your skis to have a long and happy life. Far too much lazy stripping away of most of the base to eliminate monor gouges.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi there,

if you require any basic servicing equipment then please feel free to get in touch and we can arrange a little service pack (files, iron, wax etc etc)

if you are a regular to skiing then it may be worth investing in a little kit for the future. You may need to get the bases stone ground at a shop or in resort ever year or two depending on how frequently you travel

AT

cheers AT - can't seem to PM you, so do you have an email address I can get in touch through? Or will this do? snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sack the Juggler wrote:
hi there,

AT

cheers AT - can't seem to PM you, so do you have an email address I can get in touch through? Or will this do? snowHead

personal email recieved........

will get one of the team to ring you tomorrow if you pprovide us with a number

many thanks

CH
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy