Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Living the dream - advice required

Poster: A snowHead
Living the dream - advice required.

Hi - I've made the decision to spend jan - apr next year living in the mountains. I've requested the sabbatical from work and am expecting to hear back from them shorty.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum can provide me with advice for how best to spend this time. 

- I ski mainly off piste and am looking to spend this time seriously building skills, fitness and mountain knowledge to start getting further into the back country, including as many hut to hut trips as I can

- I completed an intro to touring course in Cairngorm last year and will look to build on this

- I would consider either joining a course around these requirements if the price was right or just going out independently. My concern is being able to find similarly minded individuals who want to tour with me. Any thoughts on the best locations / Accommodation to achieve this? My concern would be ending up only meeting the 18 year old gap year crew who spend all day in the park and all night in the pub

- I'd also like to develop general mountaineering skills. Any thoughts how this can be achieved on a budget and in the timeframe? I'd considered spending Apr on a course in Nepal as the climbing season will be underway by then .

- I don't NEED to work during the period, provided my accommodation is not too expensive and will be focusing my time on skiing although a bar job or similar a couple of nights a week might be nice.

- Im from the uk. All of my previous skiing has been in France / Italy. I've been to Val D'Isere / Tignes many times and love the ease of access to off piste terrain there. 

I'd thought I might stay in Chalet Chardons at Tignes les Breviers, giving me the option to bus down to
BSM or Sainte Foy easily for a change of scenery. I've read lots of positive things about Chalet Chardons on this site. This works out as £2500 for the 17 weeks including food! Bargain. Any ideas for other locations (I'm limited to western Europe as my girlfriend will be visiting) and accommodation options?

Thanks for reading - I appreciate it's a bit of a rant, any help or advice to make sure that my trip is a success is much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on what you said, you should go to Chamonix. I am not sure about the season-long ski courses with off-piste focus, but some guiding agencies will run week-long off-piste courses, both introductory and advanced, which will include avy training and crevasse-rescue. Anyway, you can go to www.chamonix.net, get the list of ski schools/guide agencies and enquire with them directly. Being a proper mountain town rather than purpose-built ski resort you may find it easier to rent cheaper accommodation in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry I can't help, I just organise a couple of weeks a year of off-piste for my friends, hiring a guide. Joining a guided group probably won't be a big problem when someone with touring knowledge comes along (in Val d'Isere TopSki and Mountain Experience are good for making up groups of similar standard off piste, but I am unsure if they do several-day touring groups. However, guides are quite expensive - your chief problem for most of the time is finding a like-minded group at the same skiing standard to ski with. I hope you find people on here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you live in a resort for the season (or majority of it) and put some effort in then you can and will find like minded individuals who are doing the same as you and not the 18 year old gap years.

As for where and what courses I here the McNab ones in Chamonix are really good but quite pricey, but then this could be offset by relatively "Low cost" accommodation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with marcellus, live in any resort for the season and you will find plenty of people who you can ski with and you will find people in the know who will take you to off piste treasures...... Razz
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jsrt201, have to agree with marcellus, and redrunmarcus, if your in resort for most of the season you will always find little groups of off piste seasonaires hanging out in certain bars etc! As marcellus says it will need a little effort on your part.

If your in St Foy, you can easily spot the off piste crew they live in the trailers and campers just below the resort and can usually be found on the Pitch bar terrace more often than not, table in the corner near the door Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A while back I thought of doing a season long ski guide course run by Big Red Catskiing in the interior BC - not sure if they still do it, but if you want something a bit out of the way then this might be an option.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jsrt201, You have identified one of the issues in doing a season, finding suitable partners. I solved this in Chamonix by going for shared accomodation in a large house.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jsrt201, Chamonix, Chamonix, Chamonix. I moved here 11 years ago as I hadn't pushed my skis much in Verbier and a year in Merihell reduced my ability to ski.

This is the only place in the alps where most people ski every day in touring bindings, where a large percentage of people (french people with proper jobs mainly) dson't turn up for work when it first snows be it September, October or November and all walk up le tour to get some early turns.

If you need ski partners and can't find them in town, just turn up for first lift every day and you will find people to skis with. Ok for the bigger stuff here you either need good ski partners or a few courses.

In this town you can learn a lot about ski mountaineering in a season that you won't learn anywhere else in 10.

Beware you won't want to go back to any Uk based job ever after a season here Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off piste season in Europe ?
Obvious options are Chamonix, Verbier, St Anton or La Grave...
Each have their own merits & disadvantages, plenty steep & deep, plus an established off piste ski scene that will allow you to hook up with fellow 'ski bums' instead of just 'drunk 20 year olds on gap year'.
As already mentioned finding reliable, keen, fit and sober(!) ski buddies is the key to getting stuff done.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to all for your replies. I've spent a couple of weeks in Chanonix before. Had a great time there but had written it off on the basis that the missus wouldn't like the skiing (and busses) there when she comes to visit. Based on your responses im strongly reconsidering.

I'd written off St Anton and Verbier as they appear to be too expensive for my budget. Ideally I'll spend no more than 500per month on accommodation (4 months).

Jbob - how did you find your shared Accommodation in Chamonix?

The cheapest Chamonix accommodation option I've found online is Insted - they are a language school who also offer shared accommodation. Does anyone have any experience of using them?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ read this... Cool

Verbier vs Cham
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/87280-Chamonix-or-Verbier-where-to-spend-a-season/page4

And then this.....

St Anton vs Verbier
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/233231-St-Anton-vs-Verbier-another-Euro-advice-thread

Don't forget about La Grave either. Really cool & small, off piste scene down there. All of the mentioned spots would be good options for a full winter (each with their own merits and disadvantages).

Chamonix would be a good choice - with out doubt the best ski touring / extremo steeps in the world. Though beware it has some aspects that might be considered downsides (very big town, loads of brits that tend to hang out together, bigger descents require technical mountaineering skills, lift accessed powder doesn't last long).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jsrt201, I did two seasons in shared accomodation and found it fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea and there can be some issues but I loved it, and if your not working finding people to ski with might take some effort.

Another vote for Chamonix, lots of skiing options, work if you need it, and cheap pass and accomodation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jsrt201 wrote:
Thanks to all for your replies. I've spent a couple of weeks in Chanonix before. Had a great time there but had written it off on the basis that the missus wouldn't like the skiing (and busses) there when she comes to visit. Based on your responses im strongly reconsidering.

I'd written off St Anton and Verbier as they appear to be too expensive for my budget. Ideally I'll spend no more than 500per month on accommodation (4 months).

The cheapest Chamonix accommodation option I've found online is Insted - they are a language school who also offer shared accommodation. Does anyone have any experience of using them?

Take a look at Pettneu or St Jacob for accommodation options for St Anton.

Great place for a season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis Trip - Thanks for posting those links. Very useful. I'm aware that this is a topic that's been done to death. Based on everything I've read I'm now thinking Chamonix of St Anton. Verbier sounds great but I spent 2 weeks in the Vallais a year ago and it almost bankrupt me - no chance I will make it through a season.

Clarky999 - How does the lower altitude affect St Anton? I understand being further east than the French / Swiss alps brings down temperatures somewhat and brings more storms.

Is the snow quality and alpine ambiance on a 1300m drop from The Valluga down to the village really comparable with say the top 1500m of Grand Montets, 1300m off Col Pers at VDI or 1500m off the top of Mont Fort?

How long in the season are the big descents in condition for?
snow conditions
^ yip - sadly when I lived in CH it was 1.5chf to the £. Not these days...

St Anton in the Arlberg is great. Mountains are a little lower, however being located at the knuckle of the alps can actually get more snow than anywhere else in europe (on average 12m per season vs 8m in Valais). Stayed in Stuben for a week and really enjoyed it. Friends who have done winters there love it, loads of wide open powder bowls, though the terrain isn't as steep as in Verbier or Chamonix. Plus you need a guide to go up top lift of Valluga which kind of sucks.... (but there are better off-piste spots in the area!). How is your French / German ?

Ultimately it depends what type of skiing you want to do ?

Skiing lift accessed powder and doing some fun ski touring = Verbier (Nendaz?) / St Anton maybe Val D'Isere.
More technical ski tours, steeps and glaciers (perhaps requiring harness, ice axe or rappels) = Chamonix or La Grave.

Having access to a car in all these areas opens up doors for road trips to the smaller spots that are included on the season pass.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-08-12 15:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Having access to a car in all these areas opens up doors for road trips to the smaller spots that are included on the season pass.
Plus in Chamonix it really does make it easier to get around the local ski area. FWIW, I love Chamonix and have skied there several times, with great enjoyment, even though I'm only an intermediate, non-gnarly skier, so maybe your girlfriend would enjoy it too.
Quote:

How is your French / German ?
That's a very good point. Much easier to get away from the 18yo seasonnaires and in with the locals if you speak the local language.
ski holidays
jsrt201 wrote:

Clarky999 - How does the lower altitude affect St Anton? I understand being further east than the French / Swiss alps brings down temperatures somewhat and brings more storms.

Is the snow quality and alpine ambiance on a 1300m drop from The Valluga down to the village really comparable with say the top 1500m of Grand Montets, 1300m off Col Pers at VDI or 1500m off the top of Mont Fort?

How long in the season are the big descents in condition for?

The Arlberg gets about the most (and best quality) snow in Europe. I haven't been to the places you mention, but I have skied powder, top-to-bottom, in November and mid-April in the Arlberg. Obviously it varies each season though. Stuben = powderville though, pure and simple.
latest report
Chamonix sounds like your best bet for accessible touring, learning, other people to go riding with etc. That said, if you end up in Brev, give me a shout. I'm there for a month from 12th Jan - picked partly because I like the area, partly because I know some long-term seasonaires in Tignes, but mostly because I managed to find accommodation where I can take my two hounds - and will always be up for heading out with anyone looking for a ski buddy (psychopaths excepted).
ski holidays
Chamonix for sure. Every year I think about going somewhere else and end up going back. I wish it was more than an hour from Geneva. Most French are totally cool but the Parisians are a joke. And more and more stag do's and Ruskis turning up.
snow conditions
jsrt201 wrote:

You could look on Chamsocial, there's alway heaps of accomodation up for grabs...

chamsocial.com
ski holidays
jsrt201, do you mind me asking, how old are you, what is your usual occupation, and how good a skiier are you? I think you need a partner in this crime...
latest report
Save up what you think you need and then save up £4k more.

Easy.

Also agree with Chamonix - your gf isn't living with you so she can suck up the bus rides for some free ski trips
latest report
Thanks everyone - your advice is much appreciated. Chamonix defintly seems to be the way to go Smile
Fingers crossed I get the sebatical from work approved.

patricksh - I've sent you a private message with the personal info you asked for.

If anyone is planning to head out to Chamonix for 12/13 please drop me a private message if you fancy linking up on the accommodation search, sking, touring or just to grab a beer with an Englishman.
snow conditions
Keep an eye out here
http://www.skiposts.com/Category.asp?CategoryRef=14
for rentals and shares. The notice board in super u is the best place unfortunatly it's in Chamonix Wink
Don't forget the deadline for the cheap season pass.

Pm me if you have construction skills.
latest report
jsrt201,
have a look at my mates' site and have a think about contacting them.
They have appartments to rent (although I expect some weeks are booked by now) and offer exactly what you have requested in your OP.

http://www.austrianalpineactivities.com

They do tours, hut to hut back country bits, ice climbing etc.. etc...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy