Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Season Job with a Disability ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon Snow heads,

Right a slightly different question to the normal season jobs threads. I am a keen skier who has skied for over 2 years and was a key player within my university ski club. I have mild Cerebral Palsy (walk unaided, speak normally, able to walk long distances does not affect ability to work). I have worked within a major outdoor retailer last ski reason so I am confident with dealing with ski related questions. I have knowledge of ski repair and maintenance. I have applied for rep jobs with tour ops but was not successful due to not fitting in the team (personally I think its was the disability and image of the company). I have tried applying for bar work but i have limited experience of this sector. I would apply for driving and chalet work but I am not a confident driver in a ski report and do not have hospitality experience. I am thinking of doing a ski ski technician course and trying that route. Can anyone think of routes that i may of missed ? I have applied to hotels waiting for replies. I would love to do a season in Mayrhofen or Austria more generally. Would I stand a chance of going out there o a wim and seeing if i can find work??

Any suggestions would be welcome. Anyone looking fr a hard working individual for seasonal work give me a shout.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Ski Tech with Interski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski100, Skiplan and Skibound employ techs as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi ski100,

Without a lot more information it's hard to be sure but I think from reading your post that the problem might be your choice of positions to apply for rather than your disability.

In general the rep role tends to involve meeting and greeting guests and doing visits to check they are ok, dealing with problems/complaints, organising apres-ski events and activities, managing changeover day, liaising with local suppliers and some ski guiding/cleaning/ops depending on the company. Although the retail experience would stand you in good stead, most ski companies look for a bit more customer service experience than this for their reps, and ideally some local language skills or previous ski season experience. Apologies if you have this - it seeems from your post that you don't.

As Cynic and Lizzard suggest, with your retail experience a ski tech job sounds more suited - and they tend to look for ski experience, retail experience and boot and ski fitting/selling experiece which it sounds like you have plenty of. Have a look at rental republic as well as the suggestions above - they are a uk/France company who employ mobile fitters.

Reps jobs, driver/maint, bar work and ski techs are all quite sought-after jobs in resort and positions tend to go to the people with the most experience, often folk who have already worked a season in another position so don't be disheartened if you aren't successful straight away.

If you don't find a position like this my suggestion would be to apply for some less-skilled roles such as kp, general assistant, night porter, cleaner etc. Not the most exciting jobs in the world, but they'll give you the chance to live and work in the mountains for the winter. Once in resort it is really easy to change position within the company you are working for, and as season work has a high turnover the option usually comes up a few times during the season.

If you are concerned that it is your disability which is the main issue, then it might be worth trying some of the companies which specifically cater towards disabled clients as they are less likely to discriminate.

Whatever you choose I'm sure that you will find something which suits and have an amazing season - good luck!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy