Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie with season job questions...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting, so apologies if not! Looking for some info/advice, any help would be muchly appreciated. Although slightly late in the game, seriously considering applying for assistant cook/kitchen jobs and just wondering who is the best company to work for? My biggest worry is the dreaded staff accommodation, does any company provide any better accomm over another or are there any possibilities of getting a single room if you pay a contribution or anything? Are there lockers or anything provided and what to pack? If anyone has any advice I would be grateful, I know it’s a lot of questions!

Thanks for any help you guys can give Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads

A good web site to start is-

http://www.natives.co.uk/

The chances of a job are still good the chances of good accomodation are still poor!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My biggest worry is the dreaded staff accommodation

From my mercifully brief experience of the DSA for one of the supposedly more upmarket TOs, I reckon you're right to worry. I was there for approx ten minutes (picking up son) which was just about doable. But if you're inured to the usual student squalor and communal sex life, you'll probably be fine. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
filmgeek86, accommodation is a lottery, most of it shared, sub-student and frankly rather nasty. If it's important to you, apply widely and discuss it at interview. And you are, as jbob, says, on the wrong site. Get thee to Natives with all speed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"staff accommodation" is a part of experience:) We've been renting apartments for the duration of the whole season for 10 years now and always so that each person (or a couple) will get their own bedroom, and the lowest price we ever paid was 13000 CHF for 3-bedroom flat which was really basic, had very low ceilings, tiny kitchen not fitting more than one person and it was on the 4th floor with no lifts. Based on that operators I don't think operators will be able to make much profit if they are to provide their staff with accommodation based on single occupancy. You will be lucky if you get to share room with one just person.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're working for one of the BIG TOs then yes Staff Accommodation is "not too good" however the smaller ones tend to give slightly better accommodation and some give really quite good accommodation.

I know of one whose criteria are; No Bunks, No more than 2 people in a room, No Sleeping in the Lounge, WIFI, UK Satelite.

The other option is to find a job without accommodation provided and then look for your own in resort.

HTH
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the only people i knew who had a single room had found their accom independantly

but with the majority of TOs thats not an option

at one point mid season i had accom, equipment and a ski pass, but no job*

i approached a large TO about a KP job, but their offer was inclusive of the above which I didnt need

i explained my situation and that I had already paid my rent up front and was effectively told 'thats the offer take it or leave it'

when asked if i could forefit the accom in exchange for more money i was told flat out no

considering the salary was E160 a month i declined

*so i continued to live the dream as a ski bum using my credit card to buy food and beer**

**i am still repaying this debt but it was worth it snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skola, The reason for that is that their staff accom is already rented for the season (or is in-house in the case of most hotels and a lot of chalets) and they therefore save nothing by having you house yourself.

Their answer to that proposal is always going to be no, both for those reasons and because if you drop out they are left scrambling for seasonal accommodation at the last minute.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies guys, muchly appreciated.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
filmgeek86, The obvious answer is not to work for a British TO. In any resort there are far more people working for local employers than work for TOs - in shops, hotels, ski hire, restaurants, kitchens etc. Turn up in resort in mid-November for a start in December. If you have kitchen experience and a minimum smattering of the local language, and look like you've come to work rather than to bum, then you should have a good chance of getting work. In Austria for example, the staff accommodation is usually fairly good (certainly better than most TO accommodation) but be prepared to share. You'll also get paid the local wage, not TO peanuts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guinton will look into it =)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
filmgeek86, you'll actually need rather more than a 'minimum smattering' of the language, and you need to choose your job carefully if you want a decent amount of ski time. If you have a decent command of the relevant language, try the lift companies - pays better than anything else in resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with most of the people above.

As the SH's who have worked for us can confirm, we supply our staff with rooms (almost always twin) in the same hotels as the clients, some 3* and even 4*. This means that it tends to be of a much better standard than some TO's supply. The simple reason (in our case) is that there isn't a large amount of rentable apartments in our area and those that are there are very expensive.

Mind you I will never again stay in a hotel where we have clients.
I'm sorry to disturb you whilst you're having your dinner but.....
I'm sorry to disturb you whilst you're having your breakfast but.....
Hello, is that .... sorry to call you in your room at 3am but ......
etc
etc
Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, Glass collector, dish washer, kitchen porter, kitchen prep, pizza-maker, snow shoveller, rental ski-boot disinfector, rental ski-tech, housekeeper, laundry, chambermaid, cleaner, cloakroom attendent and many more - none of which require much in the way of languages, and many of which are evening or weekend jobs or have split morning/evening shifts, allowing time to ride during the day. A liftie is not going to get much slope time.
snow report
quinton, how much slope time you get as a lift op varies - eg some of ours work three days on/three off. And for all the jobs you mention above you need enough language to understand relatively detailed instructions thrown at you in a hurry by a native speaker using slangy French (or whatever) and making no allowances for the fact that you're a numpty foreigner. A 'smattering' doesn't cut it.
snow report
Hi Film Geek,

I agree with Marcellus on working with smaller operators you are more likely to get better accommodation. A few places that do not offer accommodation will help you find it.

I know http://www.mammas.fr/ Jon there hire Pizza chefs short order cooks. They do both summer and ski season jobs. Also take alook at www.snowjobz.co.uk ... few articles from smaller employers well worth giving them a call or checking out their sites.

Also this site is pretty good if you are looking for accommodation http://www.livetheseason.com/.....

Hope it all helps K
snow report
Lizzard, No, all of the jobs that I've listed specifically don't require much in the way of language skills. I can't speak for where you live in France, but I've done most of the jobs listed, in a number of different countries where I've had little or no knowledge of the language, and never had a problem understanding what was required. Peeling potatoes, pushing a shovel or putting glasses and crockery into a dishwasher is pretty much the same wherever you are.
latest report
Lots of jobs being advertised in Austrian hotels right now! This one just came through to me as I've done translation work for them in the past as well as being a frequent guest:

http://www.hotel-berghof.com/de/vier-sterne-superior/kontakt-wellnesshotel-alpendorf-sankt-johann-salzburgerland-oesterreich/kontakt-und-service/jobs-und-freie-stellen-im-verwoehnhotel.html

Obviously it helps if you have the required skills, but one of those jobs is a permanent one! There is a real labour shortage right now in Austria, so the more menial jobs are being given to people from outside the country.
latest report
These guys are pretty good and have great accommodation as well ...http://www.myswisscamp.com/ you can work both summer and winter
latest report
This is great guys, thanks so much for the help, hopefully get return the favour to other newbies one day haha.
ski holidays
KSNOWZ have you worked for these guys before or just heard good things? Thanks =)
snow report
Quote:

KSNOWZ have you worked for these guys before or just heard good things? Thanks =)

I worked three summers for these guys (though never winter). Great company to work for, owned by Irish/English/Swiss family and until last week, the school was run by a friend of mine who has just left after 10 years or so.

Old convent building in the pre-Alps not too far from Chateau d'Oex, and I think they do most of the skiing in and around Gstaad/Les Diablerets. Not much of a social life apart from drinks in the local pub with the other people working there, though on days off it is an easy train journey into Montreux/Lausanne. However, I have to say I had absolutely amazing seasons there, bit of a Big Brother feel but great people. Food is included and was...bearable...

Rooms are basic but you often get to have your own and def not have to share with more than one other.

They get a lot of school groups from the UK and Ireland. I'm sure it isn't like a typical resort-based job, but has its own advantages.
latest report
Hi Rois,

I know Stevie, looked after his recruitment for 4 years.... so know the company quite well ... as far as I know they are great company to have a ski job with. Plus as you mentioned they have summer stuff as well... I know they are currently looking for Kithen staff etc and they are a good part of the world for skiing or boarding

K
Thanks guys, have been offered a few interviews already after 2 days of applying so not bad, have Mark Warner, Ingrahms etc, possibly Ski Val (need to call them back tomorrow) and Snowcoach, applied for loads so will see if anyone else gets back to me.
snow conditions
SKI VAL IT WILL BE WITH DAVID ... he is really good guy ... I will call him tomorrow see if I can put in a good word just mention you wrer chatting with somone from snow jobz he will know who it is.... Mark warner may be Megan.... Inghams pass

Piece of advice for the interview:

Interview Stage

If you are offered an interview then appreciate that you have been chosen over hundreds and make the most out of the opportunity. You must PREPARE. I think some people think that as it isn’t an office job then they don’t need to make such an effort. You do. I would expect interviewees to know the company inside out, know the resorts we operate in, know some of the chalet names that got their attention, know the service we offer, know the job description exceptionally well, know the competitors and know the other roles within the company so they can see where they slot in the company.

This is your opportunity to really understand the company and role and if you are prepared you can really benefit for having that one on one time with the HR Manager. It is your chance to see if this is really for you as well as us seeing if you are suitable, interviews are always a 2 way thing. Know where the interview is taking place so you are not stressing out on the day and be 5 mins early; not 20 mins early but just slightly early. Although this is ‘just a winter job’ I still expect you to dress smartly. There is no such thing as being over dressed for an interview. Have questions prepared and written down. Then if all of them are answered during the interview then at least the interviewer can see that you have 10 or so questions prepared in front of you.

Something that is a personal preference of mine and may not be to everyone’s liking is to receive and email from the interviewee later in the day or the following day thanking me for my time. A little does go a long way and it means alot to me when I get a personal thank you for my time.

This page is not up on snow jobz yet but I thought it would help it is written by an HR manager at Consensio Holidays

GOOD LUCK! hope it helps

K
______

www.snowjobz.co.uk
snow report
Thanks thats great, totally agree with you on all points, I'm always smartly dressed for interviews, always thank everyone for their time in emails and I have to be early for everything, hate poor time keeping! Do you know where ski Val offices are, is it Devon? My only worry is getting to some of these places as I need to come from Glasgow which will be a trek but I will manage!
snow report
jbob wrote:

The chances of a job are still good the chances of good accomodation are still poor!

Not always
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nixmap wrote:
jbob wrote:

Not always

lol

lets not open that can of worms Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy