Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing: Zermatt, Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/travel/reviews/s/175/175684_skiing_zermatt_switzerland.html

Skiing: Zermatt, Switzerland
David Graham

THERE was a pretty solid rumour that Robbie was in town, but we didn't see any sign of him. And as he didn't search me out, either, Robbie was robbed of the chance to buy me a drink in any number of exclusive watering holes.

I didn't bump into Sting or Phil Collins, either, despite their signed photos cropping up on the odd wall - although I did pass the time of day with Mick Hucknall a couple of times, seeing as he was staying just round the corner from me. Naturally enough, he hadn't a clue who I was.

Never mind, though, for that's the sort of place Zermatt is in its celeb-soaked winter season ... awash with rumours and the rich and famous, as well as dyed-in-the-Gortex skiers with hardly two Swiss francs to rub together. Like yours truly.

But nobody is there just to ogle the A-list, because the real diamond-bright star of the show is there all year round and is one of the most beautiful, breathtaking and downright sexy icons you could ever wish to see - the Matterhorn.

Glamorous

Virtually everyone in the glamorous, cosmopolitan and sometimes-a-bit-precious Swiss village is there because of the razor-edged, chocolate-box pretty peak, which has to be number one on any skier's list of things to see before they finally shuffle off the piste for good. The mountains and glaciers on all sides are also a big attraction for the glitterati, because Zermatt allows access to the glorious high-altitude scenery for just about everyone, with no need to have planks on your feet if you're not a skier.

Thanks to the extensive, weatherproof mountain transport system - with a cog railway, cable cars and gondolas as well as covered chairlifts - the fur coat and poodle brigade can sip a brandy and slap on the factor 15 in sizzling sunshine at nearly 13,000ft if they want to, although around the 7,500 to 8,400ft mark was more in their line and was very nice, thanks, at Sunnegga or Riffelberg, or even Furi and Findeln, where I at least rubbed shoulders with them on welcome breaks between runs on the immaculately-groomed snow.

Most skiers aren't quite as fit as they like to think they are and lack of oxygen certainly begins to tell when you've gained height very quickly and try to be stylish (and safe) on the way back down, so a careful study of the piste map to pinpoint the restaurants and bars does pay dividends.

Rest

It also helps to have rest-stops planned if you're trying to see as much as possible of an area they rightly call a ski paradise, taking in a superb collection of routes on the Rothorn and the Gornergrat as well as around the Matterhorn and Klein Matterhorn, with its heady, marathon approach by cable car.

Once you're up there on the pinnacle, at 12,000-odd feet, the views take what's left of your breath away before you can relish the sweeping red runs on the Matterhorn glacier and the Schwarzsee, before gearing up for the heady blast back to the village.

Blast being a relative term, because I'm still coming to terms with the new generation of carving skis, helped immeasurably in Zermatt by top BASI-qualified instructor Henry Meredith Hardy and his Summit Ski and Board School.

I cherish a pair of 192cm K2 giant slalom combination racers - old-tech, I know, and they will probably never see the light of day again - so I needed all the help I could get from an expert young chap with an expert young crew, who number royals and other top-drawer socialites among their clients. And after a bit of tuition on a pair of 165s, I did ski a whole lot better.

Another big plus was the fact that I travelled with Simply Ski, staying in the ultra-modern Chalet Victoria penthouse in the heart of Zermatt, with breathtaking views over the village, very handy for an elevator to the main street - shared by Mr Hucknall & co - and only 10 minutes' walk away from the Gornergrat ski lift.

We thought we were being spoiled by the elevator, but then the in-house catering, with excellent food and wine, was quite exceptional. It was a joy to see the dawn sun hit the Matterhorn and race outside to get skiing as soon as possible, but it was a pleasure, too, to head back at the end of the day and fortify yourself with a delicious dinner before sampling the nightlife. Nightlife? You'd better believe it, even if Robbie didn't join the singalong!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would agree with all that's written above, Zermatt is one of my favourite resorts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
think Ill try and get over next year, sounds cool.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Royal, it's definitely worth it, but it's expensive. The mountain restaurants are absolutely outstanding, beautiful food.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a must-ski resort IMO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sitting on a terrace overlooking the Matterhorn, sipping a beer, surrounded by Eurotrash, there's nothing like it. The skiing is excellent as well, some really long runs, nice itineraries, great off-piste, good (but expensive) nighlife.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sitting on a terrace overlooking the Matterhorn, sipping a beer, surrounded by Eurotrash, there's nothing like it. The skiing is excellent as well, some really long runs, nice itineraries, great off-piste, good (but expensive) nightlife.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so good you said it twice !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Royal, I can't wait I'm going at the end of Jan for the first time. snowHead It would be a real bonus if I got to see Robbie too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Who's Robbie? They don't let me out of my cage very often.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Williams?

My friend was sure that we shared an electric taxi with Flavio Briatore and his wife. They had brought both nannies on holiday with them, but I don't think that it was him.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy