Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

January weekend ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Any thoughts about good cheap long-weekend ski in January - for a few friends (skiers and boarders). All liking reds and blues - not bothered about off-piste. We're all used to the Alps but would be open to other possibilities if the price and travel is right.
cheers. Tim
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Champoluc/Monterosa? Cheap flights uk-milan/Turin, accom likely to be only tricky bit. Cheap eating + drinking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resorts accessed from Geneva Airport (including Chamonix). Easyjet have early morning out and late evening (9 or 10pm) back flights so you can ski a good half day on your day travelling out and a full day on your return day. Or at least they normally have done- I haven't checked this year.
Or overnight train to the Alps (Bourg St Maurice for Val d'sere/Tignes, Les Arcs/La Plagne, Trois Vallee) and back, which gives you good skiing time for limited days away.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 26-08-12 19:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As snowball, says i have done this trip a few times. On the slopes in Les Carroz bang on 1pm arrival day, full day ski with a few beers afterwards on return day.
Look at the likes of the Grand Massif villages (not Flaine), Portes Du Soleil, Chamonix, La Clusaz, all around an hour from GVA.
Nightly accommodation can be tricky but try Logishotels. I have booked short stays in a few locations with these.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Every year we take an EasyJet flight from Gatwick to Innsbruck at the end of January. We stay at an innsbruck hotel, e.g. the 5* Hilton for £50 per person per night, including breakfast. Booked through Travel Republic. Hotel is a 10 minutes taxi from the Airport.

The are free bus transfers from the hotel to one of the 7 (I think) main ski areas, e.g. Schlick or Stubai Glacier. Transfer times 30 to 55 minutes. If you take the early flight from Gatwick the is enough time to get a minibus (too late for free bus) to Axamer Lissum for a half day skiing and warm up.

Apart from Stubai, the ski areas are small, only enough from a day, then you start to get bored. Food and drinks on the slopes are reasonable, probably as most othe skiers are local, I.e. won't pay inflated prices.

Après ski in Innsbruck is relatively cheap, typically €3 per large beer/lager. Food is also reasonable, definitely cheaper than most large alpine resorts.

Hope this gives you some altnative ideas from the main resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
revd, See also thread on "nearest resort to London"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steveee, Did this in March with some lads who have done it for years.
Loved the convenience to the airport, Innsbruck is a stunning city in itself. We did three areas which were all pretty good.
Would recommend except for the trek to and from the slopes every day, even though we hired cars.
Not what you want on a limited trip but not a deal breaker.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some options for airports near Geneva, under about 90 mins...ish.

Les Carroz D Araches 54 mins
Vevey 55 mins
Flaine 59 mins
Le Grand Bornand 59 mins
Morillon 59 mins
Combloux 60 mins
Saint Gervais 61 mins
La Clusaz 61 mins
Les Houches 65 mins
Chamonix 67 mins
Megeve 68 mins
Samoens 68 mins
Chapelle d Abondance 78 mins
Morzine 78 mins
Les Gets 78 mins
Torgon 78 mins
Argentiere 82 mins
Leysin 84 mins
Morgins 84 mins
Chatel 85 mins
Courmayeur 85 mins
Les Crosets 89 mins
Avoriaz 90 mins

Source: http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/airport/Geneva and based upon Google driving times...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and I've done St Johann, Saalbach, Morzine, Les Gets and Avoriaz all for 3/4 night weekend breaks in January! All recommended by me... variable conditions at each!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MoodyFFS, i know you have just picked up the times from a website so it is certainly not a criticism.
BUT Les Carroz 54 mins (at a push) and then Flaine 59 mins. If anyone can get between Les Carroz and Flaine in five minutes that would definitely be a top gear challange.
Driven between the 2 loads of times. 20 minutes in good conditions.
Done all of those myself except St Johann, which was your best?
Where did you manage to stay in Saalbach for a short trip? Would be very interested.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ianbradders, it's okay a) it's my own website, and b) any criticism is fair game I know that... maybe it's time to refresh the data Laughing

We stayed just outside Saalbach in http://www.hotel-interstar.com/de/hotel_startseite.html... not ideal location for the conditions when we were there... but in good conditions it's a nice find!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ianbradders, Morzine was the best lads trip.... Avoriaz offered the best location for ski access but it quiet, St Johann was ace as it was our first trip and BUMPER snow year (about a metre into the town). Saalbach I'd like to do again with more than 20cm on the slopes!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks very good. Being lazy i know but the location is not readily available on the website.
From one of the pics it looks like ski in/out. Is that down in Vorderglemm then? further back down the valley?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ianbradders, ha ha those a cheeky pics thats why... it's about a mile or so down the valley from Saalbach... in Vorderglemm. Has access to the Schonleiten lift and you can ski back down a mega long blue Jausernabfarht (sp?) snow permitting... useless when we went LOL
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do know the location and when i have been to Saalbach it has never been a problem to ski back down there.
The problem would be my mates would string me up if i booked a place that far away from the bars.
That long blue is great from the top of Schattberg. Biggest problem for me was getting the lift back up the other side of the valley standing with burning thighs after the final steepish descent.
snow conditions
ianbradders, yeah it was a pain gettign cabs, but between 4 it wasn't a major issue... weekend accomm in Austria is a bit trickier to find!
ski holidays
MoodyFFS, Morzine was very good but around the time when the beer was stupid prices.
Nowhere has come close to Austria for the apres but i do love France to ski.
Saalbach we have done three times, missed out last year and had so much earache from the lads i cant miss it again.
Not my fault, i went to Les Carroz with the family and Innsbruck with some lads.
snow report
ianbradders, agree that Austria trumps France for Après, Morzine was good but about 50% more expensive in places from my experience!

I'm already on the lookout for weekend availability for Jan! I also won't fly with Ryanair, which restricts some Salzburg flights
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy