Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great (In my opinion) Job In Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Ive just found this job which may be of interest to someone who is looking to do a season or 2!

The Mrs wont let me go rolling eyes but for a single person or someone who`s partner is broadminded it could be the ticket.

http://www.greycoatplacements.co.uk/job/driver-and-ski-concierge-for-luxury-chalet-near-verbier/ski-resort/1394
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't explicitly say it but presumably ability and connections to score high quality party supplies part of the role?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Doesn't explicitly say it but presumably ability and connections to score high quality party supplies part of the role?

I dunno about that (but i know what you mean). I was just having a look on Indeed jobs for something that included skiing (rather than seeking to obtain ASBO`s against troublsome individuals) and thought it may be of interest to a few snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like an interesting job if I was 10 years younger!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like an interesting job if I wasn't mid-career and had a young son Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Darn it! If only my license was clean wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:

Jelly,ice cream and party hats? wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If only I wasn't saddled with mortgage...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ain't that Parlor's old job wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If only I wasn't saddled with mortgage...

renting the house wouldn't cover the mortgage?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'Near Verbier' sounds a bit suspicious. Could be a dead boring place nowhere near Verbier after lifts close.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
never summer wrote:
'Near Verbier' sounds a bit suspicious. Could be a dead boring place nowhere near Verbier after lifts close.

But with a car that is less of a problem and keeps the bar tab down. Opens up ski options to Zermatt, Cham et al - it doesn't get better than this. Looks a good option for a keen skier/snowboarder who can't afford to bum it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also looks like the driver will be working their back bottom off.

Too many roles IMHO.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am sure it does get better than 150 pounds a week, especially if the advertised offer implies living in La Tzoumaz etc.Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I reckon the chalet will be on of the really fancy new ones that have been built high up the slope under the Savolyeres cable car.
Too far to walk into town, but could be sold as Verbier, but requires the caveat "near" in the description.
The driver will be fetching and carrying skiers at various times, and then doing the same for guests wanting to go out in town in the evening.
Could involve some very late nights being at the beck-and-call of high end clients.
The same website is also advertising for Chalet Manager, Chef and Chalet Doggsbody (not their term!). Good pay by the standards of the industry.
Very unlikely to be in La Tsoumaz or one of the other villages, don't think there is a market there to charge such high prices to make that level of staffing worthwhile.
latest report
pam w, no it wouldn't. Potential rental income from my house would cover about 60-70% of my mortgage, assuming a tenant could be found for such a short term (lots of empty rental properties in my area). It's something I've investigated and rejected before.
ski holidays
Quote:

Too many roles IMHO

Yes, I thought that too. When my son worked in a fancy chalet (pictured here on a day off - the owners were often not there at all) he was just the cook. If your TOR include helping with just about anything, you could end up with very little free time. Depends a lot on the occupancy rates, I suppose. My son worked 36 hours non-stop at New Year but had days at a time when there was nobody in the chalet. He cooked for the other staff but declined to get dragged in to snow clearance, cleaning, etc.

At New Year his reward was high praise for the food from the Parisian banker who owned the chalet - and whose French guests had expressed surprise that he had an English cook!

And he was paid a good deal more than £150 a week!
ski holidays
Quote:

I thought that too
And me. Whilst part of me would be tempted, despite the hard work, it's the thought of taking blasted chains on and off the tyres that would really put me off!
ski holidays
Quote:

it's the thought of taking blasted chains on and off the tyres that would really put me off!

I could cope with that as part of a job which, taking the busy days with the quiet ones, gave me a decent amount of time off. I'm quite good at chains. wink

Anyway a top chalet should definitely have a vehicle that wouldn't need chains too often. The one pictured above had a Land Rover.
snow report
"Help out with chalet cleaning when required" makes it sound like you'd end up helping with the cleaning on changeover days which is pretty standard, but the stuff about sorting out lessons and hire and being an "expert" on the area does make it sound like you're effectively a rep for the guests as well as being a driver.

Money's better than a lot of TO jobs though.
latest report
just how far does £150 a week go in Switzerland at current fx rates?
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Bob wrote:
just how far does £150 a week go in Switzerland at current fx rates?

it will get you a pizza and chips... maybe a beer as well if you get take away...
snow report
Spent a winter 5 years ago working in Verbier as a van driver / handy man / ski host. Had a blast, lots of fun and great way to do a season. Skied 6 days a week, usually on the first lifts up until 4.30pm. Probably had one of the best jobs in town. Used to laugh at all the ski instructors looking cool teaching snow-ploughs on the nursery slopes in their oakleys.

Ski resort jobs obviously involve a bit of hard work (at times). Obviously it depends on the company - some are much better employers than others. To state the obvious - people do ski season(s) in order to ski everyday, not to make money!

For the right person (age 20-30 ish, free & single, wanting to enjoy a winter season) this could be a great job. I am fairly amused by all the negative chat above, probably from people who were too scared ever to go and 'live the dream' for a winter themselves.

Quote:
£150 a week go in Switzerland at current fx rates?

Accommodation, lift pass and food is already covered.
So 150 per week is plenty money, even in Verbier, to have plenty fun (most seasonaires get discounted drinks in the local bars etc). Many peeps in the UK dont have 600 quid a month disposable income.
ski holidays
Quote:

Many peeps in the UK dont have 600 quid a month disposable income.

that's true, and few young people can earn enough to keep a roof over their head, really.

Accommodation provided is likely to be better than with the TOs, too. My son shared a sumptuous staff apartment with the girl who did the driving/snow clearing. It was a good deal bigger than our apartment and they had a bedroom each. But he was working for a staffing agency, rather than directly for the chalet owner, which sounded like a good arrangement. He found the job congenial enough, and really liked his French boss. But they weren't there much, and he found Méribel very,very, limited compared to Val D'Isere, where he'd done his first season, and was a bit lonely and bored. So he jacked in that job after a while and got one in a chalet in Courchevel which was busier, not so high-grade, but had a young lad on the staff who was an ace snowboarder and knew the 3 Valleys really well, and Nick had a blast boarding with him, and learnt a lot.

He is doing a Pd D in Genoa but every now and then will hook up with the old agency and do a couple of well-paid weeks in the Alps to supplement his income from the EU project he works on. Last year he did two weeks in the 3 Valleys and the snow was rubbish. The job was demanding - he had to hit the ground running and produce top quality grub in an unfamiliar kitchen from day 1, so he didn't bother with going out skiing or boarding, just enjoyed the change, and making delicious food that someone else was paying for.
ski holidays
hmm

that guy who wrote an ebook about doing a season had a very similar job

he got plenty of time on the mountain
ski holidays
Depends on the specific company. However at end of the day all ski resort jobs involve an element of hard work and undesirable aspects (unsocial hours, low pay, cleaning chalets, @!?ehole guests from the UK etc).

Though no point being snobby about it - not many jobs let you go skiing every day and live in the mountains for a winter, which is the real reward.
snow conditions
looks a good job that, tempted myself.....
ski holidays
http://www.lechardonvaldisere.com/catered-ski-chalets.htm

http://www.lechardonvaldisere.com/availabilityandpricing.asp

Maybe its with them, nice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks good! Shame I have a mortgage / job / boring stuf etc etc

I too don't get all the negative chat about season jobs? You get food, acomodation ,lift pass and the oppertunity to ski most days, PLUS some (actually quite decent) pocket money.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy