Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ever ski trip advice on Seefeld

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, posted a while ago on how to go about getting started with our first ski holiday have been reading peoples posts with particular interest in beginners resorts. I’m leaning towards Seefeld Austria as many have recommended it. The week I’m looking at is Jan 19th to 26th and from what I can gather the resort should have snow by then (hopefully I’m right on that).

We’re flying from Ireland and Crystal are the only TO I can find going to Seefeld, I’ve been looking at three of their hotels which are close to the ski school (as was pointed out to me that walking in ski boots and carrying skis will be new to me so better not have to walk to far) Aktivhotel Veronika says 2 minute walk to ski school, Hotel Schönegg 3 minute walk to ski school or Hotel Alpina 6 minute walk to ski school.

I’m hoping to get some feedback on whether there is one of the hotels listed I should go for over the others? For instance would 6 minutes walk be too ambitious for our first attempt? Also when should I book, currently prices are 2200ish euro for the two of us half board and beginner ski pack. Would ye recommend as beginners we book early so we don’t end up having to walk too far to the school?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, I'm not familiar with Seefeld so can't comment on the hotels or area, however unless you have seen a map I would be wary of taking the word of a brochure about proximity to the slopes, it seems that they must measure the time taken to walk by an elite athlete unencumbered by skis, wearing trainers on ice free paths! Rarely does it seem to be doable for a normal human in boots carrying skis.
I would be looking at the distance in metres not minutes. Having said that most areas have lockers close to the slopes to rent, IMHO these are well worth the cost, I'd far rather walk around resort in walking boots than ski boots, cat tracks are a pain to fit and boots wear down on pavements, if the lockers are in a heated area I leave the boots as well as skis there, if not I velcro the straps together and sling them over my shoulder to walk back to the hotel. DO NOT leave boots in an unheated storage area- any snow/sweat you have not noticed whilst skiing WILL freeze overnight and leave you MISERABLE the following day.
Really not worth worrying about a few minutes extra walk if it means you can get a better standard of accom that will fit your budget, you will probably find there is a skibus anyway. I'm sure someone with local knowledge will be along soon with reliable advice.
As beginners booking a package you might be able to save money booking late but you do risk losing out altogether if the plane is full. If you want Seefeld on those dates and it's the only direct flight I would book now or be prepared to have to transfer to another UK airport, in your case this would probably negate any potentiol saving.
Have a great time, Austria is very pretty, seems cheaper to eat and drink out than France and we loved it. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
new2skiing,

All the hotels you mention are a short walk from the ski school area. I've never stayed in any of them, we normally use the Ferienhotel Kaltschmid. Most hotels I've looked into in Seefeld are either very good or excellent. I think it's one of the highest concentrations of 4 & 5 star hotels in Europe.

I need to feed the kids now, but will post again later.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
new2skiing, Great advice from lilywhite, andmusher, - have travelled from Dublin with Crystal lots of times but definitely book asap for the best choice, some resorts get a bit cheaper in "the sales" but I've never noticed Seefeld at a reduced price, my advice is to book now then look forward to it for the next few months. When I started we booked in about April for the following January and even then sometimes didn't get exactly what we wanted.Also if your near Dublin take a taster lesson at the Skiclub of Ireland before you go, keep an eye on their website for details of the Ocktoberfest, a great weekend with cheap 1hr lessons.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have stayed at The Alpina about six times now. Love it the food and service is to die for. Have not been for about three years now. So was contemplating another trip next January. But from what I have been reading on trip advisor etc it looks as if it has been sold and Inghams seem to have taken over, or at least with regard to the staff. The reviews seem to have gone really down hill. What was regarded as some of the best food in Seefeld people dont seem so happy now. So I think we will look elsewhere, dont want to be dissappointed. We have always gone about the same time as you are thinking and only once was the snow not good but it was the same every-where. But the brochures proximity to the nursery slopes is right. In fact you dont even walk along the road from the Alpina, there is a path directly alongside the hotel, straight to the slopes. If you do go to the Alpina get a room with a balcony, they are much bigger rooms and out the front where the view is amazing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
new2skiing,

Seefeld is a good choice for your first skiing holiday. My kids love the ski school there. The nursery slopes are pretty good, and as soon as you progress beyond them the buses that run you to the two larger ski areas run frequently and from all round the town. No need to walk far in ski boots at all.

There are ski hire shops near the main ski school area with heated ski lockers for hire. You don't have to hire skis from them to get one, just make sure you book one as soon as possible - the best locations will run out quickly. We always use http://www.modern-ski.at/ which is one of the closest. They also hire decent gear if you don't want to go with the Crystal hire shop recommendation. The cost will be about the same, but you will probably get better skis & boots.

I'm going to the Alpina for the first time on Saturday - I'll let you know what I think next week. It is indeed very close to the ski school.

From memory (a bit dodgy snowHead ) the Alpina is at the end of the main nursery slope, and an easy walk to the ski school. I'm pretty sure the other two are just over the road and no more than a few hundred yards away. Don't be put off by that walk.

There is a nice hotel for lunch where the kids ski school is - the Kracherle Moos (sp?). Not sure if that is where you would end up lunchtime, but you will approve of the prices - much cheaper than most over here. I think it was 3.60 Euro a half litre of beer last year and you can eat as cheaply as you choose.

Seefeld isn't the cheapest resort for hotels, but it is a very good one even by Austrian standards. The hotels and food are excellent. The nightlife isn't as raucous as the likes of St. Anton, but there is plenty to keep you going into the small hours if you choose.

I can't speak for the adult ski school but my kids love the junior one. Ski hire and lift passes are a reasonable price. The skiing isn't extensive, but is certainly adequate for beginners up to about three weeks experience. Most of the runs are quite short, and as you progress you will probably want to move to a larger resort.

One other possible selling point is that if you don't take to downhill skiing then it is one of the major cross country skiing resorts in Europe. Also horse drawn sleigh rides, dog sledding, snow shoe trekking etc. etc. etc. not to mention the usual swimming pools, ice rinks ... but you will be too busy enjoying the skiing to notice any of that stuff Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies. Musher if you could let me know how you get on at the Hotel Alpine that would be great it does seem to be getting some mixed reviews of late. Thanks for the recommendation for the ski locker will probably get the ski package with Crystal to avoid having to think too much about what to hire all a bit daunting at the start so much unknown.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
new2skiing,

I've stayed in Seefeld a number of times including twice at the Aktivhotel Veronika. The hotel was excellent both times - I couldn't fault it. It is only a short walk from the Geigenbuhl area where the nursery slopes are but we always left our skis & boots at one of the nearby ski shops. You don't want to have to walk in ski boots and lug skis around which isn't fun! If you are renting from one of those shops they will store your equipment for free.

Seefeld itself is a lovely resort for families and has more than enough skiing for beginners and low intermediates. My parents returned 6 years running and always had good snow at the end of January Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
new2skiing,

Right, the news on the Hotel Alpina. Basically everything you read in the recent Trip Advisor reviews is pretty accurate. The rooms are a bit tired with a few things that need fixing. Our room had:

• 3 bulbs out (and the lights tripped a circuit breaker at 03:45AM when we were getting ready to come home).
• The beday didn't work.
• The blind in the bathroom was about to fall down.
• I couldn't work the safe in the room, but that may have just been me.

The food was OK, I did like their breakfasts. The packed lunch was an average Austrian hotel packed lunch in my experience. Afternoon tea/coffee with cakes (little ones, no sacher torte Sad ). Dinner was a 4 course help yourself buffet. Plenty of it and it wasn’t bad, but certainly not inspiring. Free wine & beer with dinner.

The staff were excellent and I’m sure if I had been bothered to complain then they would have done their best to help with the room. I might be tempted to go for a "superior" room if I stayed there again.

The swimming pool is very good, there is a sauna (didn’t use it myself), a plunge pool and I think there was a sun bed round there as well. Showers and toilets etc. etc. – that part of the hotel was very nice. Junior and the Mushette didn’t want to do anything else.

Talking to the locals, the hotel is run by an Italian concern, so as you might imagine they were less than complimentary.

If the path behind the hotel next door is open after snowfall, the walk to the ski school meeting area is about 100-150 yards. It won’t be much more if it isn’t open, and either way you will walk past the hire shop I recommended for the ski lockers.

Basically it comes down to your priorities as to what you will think of this hotel. Yes the room was a bit tatty, but was acceptable (to me anyway – Mrs M wasn’t too keen but she is used to 4/5 star luxury). The food was OK if you don’t mind the buffet arrangements. It is close to the ski school and nursery slopes, and not far to walk into the middle of town (no more than 10 minutes).

Personally, I think if I wanted to do Seefeld on the cheap I would stay in apartments like the Romerweg and choose where to eat in the evening. There is a vast array of choice from pizza to 5 star 5 course. Staying in Romerweg (up by the Rosshutte lifts) would also give you access to the facilities at the other Kaltschmid hotels like swimming pools, gyms etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher wrote:
The staff were excellent and I’m sure if I had been bothered to complain then they would have done their best to help with the room.

Why didn't you say something Puzzled I always do and 9 times out of 10 things are put right that day or the next. Especially replacing light bulbs - it's not rocket science.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi,

They lights were candle lamps in clusters - no ill effects, so didn't bother.
Nobody wanted to use the beday or the safe (I was just playing with them to see what damage the kids could do).
The blind didn't fall down, so was still doing it's job.
We did mention the circuit breaker as we left.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the feed back Musher Hotel Schönegg is top of the list at the moment little bit better priced for us than the Aktivhotel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
new2skiing,

That's a little bit further to walk, but looks like a much better hotel. When are you going - the 19th? I'll be heading back there on the 26th. Would you fly to Innsbruck?

Checking the prices of that hotel on Crystal I get £736 for the Schönegg. If you can stretch the budget a bit further I can highly recommend the Kaltschmid at £798.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Musher but from dublin with crystal the Kaltschmid is 150euro dearer for each of us than the Schönegg! I know Aktivhotel has been recommended but trying to keep costs down although haven't ruled it out either Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi I have booked the Larchenhof hotel for February with flights to Innsbruck - one week half board around 715 £ with Thomson Ski.
The Larchenhof has good reviews on TripAdvisor
snow conditions
Snowheadette wrote:
Hi I have booked the Larchenhof hotel for February with flights to Innsbruck - one week half board around 715 £ with Thomson Ski.
The Larchenhof has good reviews on TripAdvisor
The price includes flights from London
latest report
Thats over by the Hotel Alpina where I stayed in the summer. Tucked away from the town center a bit, but handy for the ski school & nursery slopes.
latest report
The Larchenhof and The Alpina were both owned by the same family, the Marcattis's, dont know if its still the same now.
snow report
Yes they are the same owners
snow report
The locals were less than complementary about them
latest report
Great choice for first ski trip, been there a couple of times staying at the Schonru brilliant hote;l and fantastic spa & Wellness underground.

Ski school there is also first class I really learnt a lot there. One instructor that I had was Ziggy Bacher, he knew his stuff and evryone moves on quickly with him.

Where ever you stay it will be good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy