Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation sought - long weekend ski course/tuition

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,
I'm hoping you can advise me. I'm interested in booking myself and a friend on a 3 day or long weekend intensive ski course, perhaps a women only course.
I'm an Intermediate skier but I've hit a plateau and haven't improved in the last few years, in fact I've probably got worse due to lack of confidence. My friend would probably describer herself as an Improver. We don't mind being in separate classes/groups, in fact we'd expect that, but it'd be nice to travel together and share accommodation.

Has anyone been on such a course and could recommend it?
Thanks in advance.
Jo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jo66, What about this? I think there are some on here have used them and will be along to comment.

http://www.inspiredtoski.com/courses/womensskicourses
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.inspiredtoski.com/courses/womensskicourses

I did an Inspired to Ski week course - not women specific - some years ago. It was very good.

Another recommendation - Charlotte Swift in Les Deux Alpes. http://www.easiski.com/C2C.html

Charlotte is a very good instructor - I have recent experience of her teaching and am doing the "On2Off" course next January.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jo66, another fan of Inspired to Ski, although I too have never done a women-specific course.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks to all so far - I'd found Inspired to Ski's website but having them recommended is reassuring rather than just booking cold.
Perhaps a women only course isn't necessary?

Easiski looks good too but don't think we can both get away for a full week on this occasion.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jo66, I see Phil Smith (Snoworks) is now offering weekend courses http://www.snoworks.co.uk/weekend-courses.html. I did 3 full weeks with him in my Intermediate to Advanced days and IMO he's the best in the business. Not sure if his levels will go low enough for your friend on a weekend though but you can ask. IIRC Sally Chapman (Inspired to Ski) and he were once an item and she used to work for/with him so I'm sure her courses will be a very similar format and quality.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jo66, ...you might try Yves Caillet's school in Crans-Montana - SMS - fly to Geneva - train to Sierre from inside Geneva airport station, funicular up to Montana. He can sort whatever tuition you want - he has some excellent female instructors - Carole (who is the woman on all the Crans Montana ski passes) and Sophie, in particular. He can supply tuition at any level. There's loads of good accommodation, including great rooms in a cafe in the forest (Cafe de la Cure, run by Chantal). Message me if you are interested and I can put you directly in touch with Yves.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Not sure if his levels will go low enough for your friend on a weekend though

if that's a problem then one option would be for your friend to have 2 hour private lessons each day with a local instructor - would probably cost less, and should be fine. In many resorts you could get specific recommendations from people on SHs who know the areas concerned. In such a short time, I'd strongly recommend you pitch straight in to lessons - don't be tempted to spend half a day "finding your feet". Best have a potter AFTER the formal lessons, when you've been given stuff to work on.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Fecher, boss at Tinderbox Ski School, can tailor lessons to suit all ability levels. http://tinderboxskischool.com/home.php I'm a happy customer Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jo66 wrote:
Thanks to all so far - I'd found Inspired to Ski's website but having them recommended is reassuring rather than just booking cold.
Perhaps a women only course isn't necessary?

Easiski looks good too but don't think we can both get away for a full week on this occasion.

If the full week with Easiski doesn't suit you, why not contact her and see if she can do something for you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the suggestions - I shall check them out.

I hadn't thought of booking private lessons. What does everyone think about taking this option for the 2 of us when we're at different levels?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As with some of the above, I'd recommend Inspired to Ski. They do 3-day women only courses, including the level of Improver/lacking in confidence and friends of mine have been on those in the past. I've been 3 times on their week-long courses in Courchevel and would highly recommend them
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or of course Inside Out - they do a very nice week course in the Dolomites which I went on last year, if you were thinking of going for a longer period than a weekend. This coming season they will also be accepting Improver level http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/dolomites.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

What does everyone think about taking this option for the 2 of us when we're at different levels?

Should be fine, though working in a small group with video feedback can be great fun, and motivating.

A recommendation for a private instructor with a good level of English would be helpful; they're not all equal.

If there isn't a formal short course that suits you, where and when it suits you, going for private lessons for, say, two hours each day, with a good instructor, should work fine.

It's not always straightforward to find accommodation for less than a full week, especially in French resorts. Can be done though - what sort of accommodation are you looking for?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another recommendation for Charlotte (easiski). She is incredibly good at building confidence in a straight to the point no nonsense kind of a way and can certainly teach individuals at different levels in a way that benefits all and is very good value for money. Sure the other options are good too but she is the only one I've had experience of and she completely changed my attitude to skiing
snow report
Jo66 wrote:
I hadn't thought of booking private lessons. What does everyone think about taking this option for the 2 of us when we're at different levels?

I think it's a problem. Particularly for you as you're the one who's going to be skiing at a relatively slow pace all day. Much better to ski and improve with people of your level and meet up with your friend in the evenings and apres.

Also, to get like for like the cost will be prohibitive - the courses you're looking at are 2.5 or 3 FULL days of instruction (5-6 hours a day) plus video feedback for £240. 6 hours of private instruction is in the region of £400/day so even if you get a deal it's still twice as expensive (3 x £400/2 = £600 each).
latest report
Does anyone have any experience of Amanda Pirie Performance Ski Coaching http://www.amandapirie.co.uk/ She's running a 3 day women's course, max group size 6, in Val D'Isere for £300. She will accept lower intermediates but again all levels would be skiing together.
snow conditions
Raceplate, I think you're right about mixed abilities skiing together and also about price. The Inspired to Ski course is £240 I think and they seem to offer 4 nights chalet accommodation for around £280. I just wish someone from Inspired to Ski would respond to my email enquiry and phone message!
snow conditions
Jo66, looks to me like initial enquiries are dealt with by an agent. Ring Sally Chapman direct 07885 630340 (mobile off the website). This time of year she could easily be up a glacier or in the S. Hemisphere; who knows? but I'm sure she'll be very helpful and will appreciate the feedback.
snow report
Jo66 wrote:
I just wish someone from Inspired to Ski would respond to my email enquiry and phone message!

Laughing ah, some things never change.... yes the admin of the agents, I forget her name, is pretty crappy and nothing like the quality instruction. Be persistent/patient or ring Sally direct, as Raceplate says.
snow report
Quote:

I think it's a problem. Particularly for you as you're the one who's going to be skiing at a relatively slow pace all day. Much better to ski and improve with people of your level and meet up with your friend in the evenings and apres.

Also, to get like for like the cost will be prohibitive - the courses you're looking at are 2.5 or 3 FULL days of instruction (5-6 hours a day) plus video feedback for £240. 6 hours of private instruction is in the region of £400/day so even if you get a deal it's still twice as expensive (3 x £400/2 = £600 each).

Ah! I had assumed you meant to book a private instructor each. I agree that sharing the same instructor might be a problem (though good instructors can often manage this - it's not about skiing fast).

However, the cost need not be prohibitive. Personally, I think 2 hours of one to one tuition is about as much as you can sensible take in a day, leaving plenty of time to practice what you've been taught (that's essential). Two hours of private instruction with a local ski school in France could cost you 62 euros, so £150 each. I imagine prices in Austria would be similar, if you steer clear of the big names (and there's no purpose served in going to a resort with huge numbers of pistes for 3 days focussed on improving your skiing).

I think a course would probably be more fun, and more sociable, but going the DIY route is not a daft idea.
ski holidays
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

Personally, I think 2 hours of one to one tuition is about as much as you can sensible take in a day, leaving plenty of time to practice what you've been taught (that's essential).

But who do they practice with? There's only two of them and they ski at different levels. That means they either have to ski alone (which a lot of people at that level don't like to do) or Jo66 has to hang around for her friend to catch up all the time. Sounds like a recipe for frustration and a broken friendship to me.
snow report
Jo66, Whether there is a problem with sharing a lesson depends on the actual difference in yours and your friend's skiing and the cause of your plateau. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to revisit certain things and do them slowly as well as speed often masks bad (wrong) form and once you hit something bumpier/steeper/icier etc. this wrong form gets exposed and in this case the lesson would be focused not on skiing bumps/steeps/ice but on something the skier himself may not realise he's got problems with. Also, I noticed that it's quite rare to have groupe courses running on weekends, so if you found one, maybe it's worth taking even if all levels will be skiing together - the instructor should be able to point out what you have to work at.
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
pam w wrote:

Personally, I think 2 hours of one to one tuition is about as much as you can sensible take in a day, leaving plenty of time to practice what you've been taught (that's essential).

But who do they practice with? There's only two of them and they ski at different levels. That means they either have to ski alone (which a lot of people at that level don't like to do) or Jo66 has to hang around for her friend to catch up all the time. Sounds like a recipe for frustration and a broken friendship to me.

Not necessarily, I have no problem skiing "harder" stuff while my beginner friends are in lessons in the morning and then pottering around with them in the afternoon. Holidays are about messing about with mates as well, I find it's a good balance. Can't imagine I'm the only one.
snow conditions
And it's not (usually) about skiing fast. It's about stuff like getting basic posture and balance right - exercises such as lifting the inside ski, or white pass turns, or skiing on one leg, or well-controlled bouncy short radius turns, don't have to be done fast. Practically everyone who skis with friends or family has to cope with being in a mixed-ability group from time to time. Most seem to manage without losing all their friends or getting divorced!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Most seem to manage without losing all their friends or getting divorced!

I wish! My EX-girlfriend still blames me for her ACL wink
latest report
Quote:

I wish! My EX-girlfriend still blames me for her ACL

Well, I said "most" people! Your feeling that it's terribly frustrating not to be able to ski at flat out speed all the time and that the OP would have her holiday ruined if she had to do some slower-speed practice with her friend makes me feel a little sympathetic to your ex-GF. wink
snow conditions
Thank you all for your recommendations and tips.
I think we're going to go with Inspired to Ski - 2 1/2 day course in Morzine in mid Jan - either the womens course or the mixed ski performance course running at the same time.

Raceplate, I've left a message on Sally's mobile so with that, the email and the message on the office phone I think she'll know we're keen Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A twist to the tale! My friend says she might be able to get away for a week afterall so the options are now endless!!! Laughing
ski holidays
Jo66, the options are similar, really - a bit more expensive, but better value in terms of £££ per hour on the slopes!
latest report
cathy wrote:
Jo66 wrote:
I just wish someone from Inspired to Ski would respond to my email enquiry and phone message!

Laughing ah, some things never change.... yes the admin of the agents, I forget her name, is pretty crappy and nothing like the quality instruction. Be persistent/patient or ring Sally direct, as Raceplate says.
+1 Laughing
latest report
Jo66 wrote:
A twist to the tale! My friend says she might be able to get away for a week afterall so the options are now endless!!! Laughing

Snoworks All Terrain Level 3/4. They're the best. Will transform your skiing and your confidence and you'll have fun.
ski holidays
If you can get away for a week I'd recommend Warren Smith Ski Academy. The program is intense but it delivers. It runs Sunday-Friday for 5 hours a day with one day of rest on Wednesday when you can ski with your friend, practice what you learned and check each other's progress.
ski holidays
Jo66, just wondering if you ever heard back from someone at Inspired to ski? I sent an email last week after seeing this thread and followed up yesterday but haven't heard a peep yet! Sad
snow report
pam w wrote:
In such a short time, I'd strongly recommend you pitch straight in to lessons - don't be tempted to spend half a day "finding your feet". Best have a potter AFTER the formal lessons, when you've been given stuff to work on.
But presumably not normally? I certainly don't ski properly (as properly as I get that is) the first few descents - so a lesson then wouldn't be looking at my skiing at the stage it has really got to.
snow report
snowball, I once spent 3 very snowy days in Les Gets with my sister. I had been on a ski holiday only a month earlier. she hadn't skied for 2 years and seeing the conditions - lumps of snow all over the place and poor vis, she was very nervous and concerned that we'd booked a 2 hour private lesson with BASS Les Gets on our first morning. Not the first few descents - we had a short while to potter before the lesson started, and she was all over the place. I wasn't a lot better. Anyway, the lesson was a revelation, and did us both the world of good, so we could enjoy the rest of our short stay. My sister said afterwards that she'd been wrong to worry about the lesson being "too soon".

That was the experience I had in mind. More recently I have had to work hard to persuade visitors to my apartment to let me book a lesson for them on their first day - and if they are very nervous types, right at the beginning. So far it's always worked well and they come back happy and relieved.

We might feel our skiing is transformed after a couple of runs but I'm sure an experienced instructor will see exactly the same skier, needing exactly the same work! On a week's holiday, with 6 days skiing, I'd recommend a 2 hour private lesson on mornings 1, 3 and 5, with practice in between. Most people can't afford more than that.
latest report
driz, I did hear back from Sally Chapman (sally@inspiredtoski.com) via email but only after emailing the office, leaving a message on the office phone and on Sally's mobile. I then also heard from Andy Turner a couple of days later re the accommodation that they are using for that particular course (12-15Jan). I'll PM you everything I was sent in case it's useful to you.
We've decided not to go for the course because my friend can now get away for a week - so we've booked ourselves a week in Soll with 5 days ski school for less than 2 1/2 days in Morzine - more than twice the skiing for less.
ski holidays
A very much reduced programme on the Inspired to Ski website, I notice. Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy