Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heavy Lady Skier Wanting to Buy 2nd Hand Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice from you knowledgable people?

I am a female skier, intermediate level - a bit of a cruiser I am afraid, prefer to ski well below my ability, and steer away from speed (what a girl!)
After a 10 year break from skiing to have a family, we took the boys skiing last Christmas, and are booked again. I have my own boots (bought when I returned this time!), and would like to buy some skiis. Realistically, budget will probably only allow 2nd hand - I am 5ft6 and very heavy, but quite fit.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Becksy, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Did you rent skis at Christmas? What kind/size? Have you looked at the cost of transport and servicing? May not be worth it just for a week a year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We drive to St Gervais, so thats not a problem. We are hoping to try and sneak in a bit more in the next couple of years, but for this year, its just the Christmas week.

I had a Dynastar pair this year, but no idea what. As I already own boots (and actually poles!) and was 40 at Christmas, we thought that some on my own skiis would be a great present. I have a friend who services his own skiis, and has offered to do ours too. (he knows what he is doing and has the equipment, which he 'shares' with another skiier, but he doesnt know about ladies skis with regard to recommending anything.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Becksy, you say you are quite heavy (so am I by the way Embarassed ), so either you can go for a stiff woman's piste ski or maybe even a man's ski (or are you fixed on a woman's ski)?

I'm assuming you are looking for a piste only ski (please correct me if I'm wrong)?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am 5ft 7 and also quite heavy but ok fitness wise, for general cruising around I have a pair of Ladies Rossignol B2 Bandits they suit me well for all on piste terrain I have been told by several people that they should turn themselves (mine must be broken). I would happily recommend them for any intermediate cruising - they are light speedy when you want it, good on hard packed and softer slush, easy to turn both carving and just sliding round.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Becksy, Like you I am quite heavy, I have the Dynastar Exclusive Fluid limited edition which I really like and will reluctantly change next year, I mainly ski in Scotland so they certainly do all conditions but are mainly a piste ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep - I am heavy (trying to do something about it!)!
I am not set on a ladies ski, just want to buy something that will give me some good fun years skiing, and can cope with me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And yes - piste ski advice please!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rossignol B2s are a good all round ski. I tried the ladies but felt more comfortable on the men's (as having fairly strong legs didn't seem to suit the ladies)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
While I wouldn't say my wife was heavy (well, I would, but she wouldn't like it) when she bought mens skis (for the stiffness) she found them so heavy that I had to carry them around everywhere. Believe me, they were heavy too. Now she has a pair of ladies skis she doesn't seem to notice a lack of stiffness (ooh err) but the overall weight of the skis (Volkl Attiva 4* - blimey, are they really 6 years old, please don't tell her) is significantly lower meaning she now carries her own Very Happy

So check the overall weight as well. While having the old man carry your skis everywhere sounds great it is also a real PITA having to heft them into and out of the gondola too (which he wont do for you as he's sorting his own stuff out Razz )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

While I wouldn't say my wife was heavy (well, I would, but she wouldn't like it)

Laughing

Not all men's skis are heavy. I am selling a pair of Rossignol Zenith Z1 skis which are no heavier than my skis. They are 162 and possibly suitable for the OP - an easy cruising ski, but they're fairly old and for a 40th birthday present I think becksy deserves something better. My son in law can put them on ebay!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tiger2, that was my problem with the Head skis I used to own - they wore a very painful groove in my shoulder! But my current Dynastars, whilst a pleasure to carry, are a bit noodly on piste for me now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a heavy female skier and I have Rossignol Attraxion VI skis which seem to suit me very well. They are quite heavy to carry but I tend to find lightweight skis to be a bit unstable and flappy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had been looking online at the Rossignol Attraxion VI.
Hmmmm. More food for thought!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have some Attraction V (163) I'd be willing to sell for not very much. About £70.
ski holidays
Pam / Anyone else - can you help re ski length - I was advised to go for something like a 155cm - anyone like to comment?
latest report
Quote:

I was advised to go for something like a 155cm

Sounds a bit short, especially if you are heavy, but it depends on the kind of ski, and also the kind of skiing you like to do, and your experience. I'm no expert on skis. Slalom skis are very short, but a bit tricksy. In ordinary cruisy sort of piste skis, 162/3 suits me (Dynastar Exclusive Fluid and Rossignol Attraxion V). I am 5'5" and was around 10 stone last season. Mostly piste skiing. Nothing extreme!

Could you get to one of the snowdomes and try out a few different skis? Bit of a risk buying blind.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I was advised to go for something like a 155cm

Sounds a bit short, especially if you are heavy, but it depends on the kind of ski.

Use size advise as a rule of thumb - but go with what you find comfortable. I'm 5" 11, over weight but am a comfortable intermediate skier, yet I use a pair of 155CM X-Wings, I brought a 2nd hand pair 2 seasons ago in resort and ski very well on them. Yet everybody "advises" I should be on 170+, but put me on them and I'm stacking it faster than you can say snow-plough.. I feel I'm about ready to step up, so this season I'll give 162-164CM a try.. I'll eventually get to 170, but at my own pace!

Also, always test ski's for a good few hours before committing to purchase.. I rented mine in resort and absolutely loved them, I begged the shop keeper to sell them me.. unfortunately he never did, but I found another shop in resort that sold me a used pair (in very good condition) for the bargain price of $120.
snow report
Argh ........... I am still no further on!

Today I went to a few ski shops to see what they would recommend new ski wise - they agreed on 162 - 165cm length with regard to my weight etc.
One place recommended Scott Maya's - anyone any comments??
The other suggested Volkl Estrella's - again, any comments???

Pam - at this rate, I could be snapping your hands off to buy your 2nd hand ones (if you still have them!) - I am getting in a proper tizz.............
latest report
Seen some deals around on last years K2 ranges, have you looked at "super" range? superburnin, superific etc, have heard good reports.
Netty had some k2 misconduct as her 1st ski, cheap twin tip but she loved them, really helped her onand used them on piste then dipped her toes into off piste on them, she's now on the Maya's which, imho, may be a bit too much for you from your original description of your skiing.
latest report
Becksy, Hi there, 5'9" here and plenty heavy, Embarassed and I recognise my own skiing in your description of your ability. I'm currently getting on well with a set of Elan Magfire 78 Ti's in a 168cm - they are about 80/20 on/off piste, but I don't go 'off' if I can help it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy