Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer TR: Les Contamines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are just back from our week in the Alps. We went to Les Contamines, staying in a very nice apartment, for a very reasonable price. Had everything we needed inc wifi, washing machine, oven, microwave and a beer fridge Smile The apartment is http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/fr4694.htm

This was our first family summer visit to the Alps. Once we arrived some friends had already discovered we could buy a family pass for 90€ for one week. This allowed each of us:

Free access to the following activities.
• Pontet Swimming Lake (unlimited access)
• Mont-Blanc Evasion alpine lifts** (unlimited access) - inc Megeve and Saint Gervais lifts
• Tennis court hire ( 1 hr)
• Archery (1 hour)
• Golf (a bucket of 50 balls)
• Summer biathlon (an hourly session).

On our first day the Tourist Info told us that there was a mountain festival at the top of Col Du Joly, so we set off up the two running lifts, and then the kids had their first Alpine ascent on bikes up to 2000m.

Here's the three of us almost at the top, you can see the top of the lift to the left of my daughters head

DSC01514 by kitenski, on Flickr

We spent an hour or two at the top, there was some displays, some local dancing, kite flying etc

We then set off down. In reality this was a touch too far/bumpy for my 9 year old, who did really well getting all the way down back to the village!

IMG_0158 by kitenski, on Flickr

The next day we were off to the swimming lake, which became a favourite way of cooling down. With volley ball, grassy and sandy areas we spent time here every day.

IMG_0161 by kitenski, on Flickr

The next day was pretty chilled out, with some archery in the afternoon.

IMG_0162 by kitenski, on Flickr

Wednesday we took the lifts up then did a walk with the kids down and around to a waterfall. The kids and ladies then went back for a late afternoon swim,

IMG_0175 by kitenski, on Flickr

IMG_0183 by kitenski, on Flickr

whilst myself and Mark headed up to the glacier head. This was about another hour walk up to a refuge, then 30 mins further up to the glacier, followed by a long 2 hour slog down and around. It's not clear from the pic, but the glacier continues down below us, covered in old moraine and debris.

IMG_0193 by kitenski, on Flickr

Green beer helped the recovery afterwards Smile

IMG_0198 by kitenski, on Flickr

The Thursday we set off for a lower level bike loop followed by a biathlon try, which we all really enjoyed. After this the kids went for a swim, whilst I decided to cycle up to the top of Col Du Joly and back down again. It was lung busting, 1984 feet up, 2671 down!! Endomono info is here http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/82317705

DSC01591 by kitenski, on Flickr

DSC01592 by kitenski, on Flickr

The last day was high ropes and tennis…

IMG_0219 by kitenski, on Flickr

IMG_0225 by kitenski, on Flickr
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah, I know that track at the top well. Best to dive off it and get a chair up to the top of the bubble - too much skating / poleing otherwise!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wonderful report and photos - lovely fit family, no couch potatoes in your house!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, great report, looks terrific. I was going to say sorry that we didn't manage to hook up - but I think your days would have been too energetic for two old biddies! We did a walk today passed the "Escaladventure" in Les Saisies - had people zipping over our heads on wires, and wonderfully pleased little lad of about 4, negotiating a wobbly bridge in the little kids area, so thrilled with himself. Lots of fun for kids in the Alps in summer. You chose a good week for weather! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, Nice piccies, looks fab and makes me more convinced that the Alps in summer is for me. We went 3 summers ago and I loved it. Further to my recent 'which resort in summer' thread unfortunately in the end we didn't make it to the Alps this year and are just back from two weeks in the Vendee instead as the sister in law and her family were going to be there too. It was good, we had a nice time but the whole fortnight I felt something was missing and couldn't put my finger on it. One day we went to a market, I bought a fab coffee table book full of gorgeous photos for the bargain price of 2 Euros entitled 'Les Alpes', think I was on the wrong holiday Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy