Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are sweden

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of scandanavian lads trip next season ( april 2013 ) any knowledge /tips,thanks !!
Rough plan is fly to Trondheim or Gothenburg and train to Are ..........?
Cheers !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is the biggest Swedish resort with a big lake so it is very scenic.

Think it does night skiing as well.

3 unlinked areas of Duved, Central and Bjornen. One can cross over the last two though.

Modern facility as good as any Alpine resort but with a lot less people competing for space on the piste.

Have to cut down the alcohol as it is very expensive there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we usually get the train up from stockholm, it takes a while through pretty countryside, although it will be a lot quicker from trondheim.

train stops right in the middle of town, its a small town centre easy enough to walk around but some of the hotels are further out along the lakeside so can be a short walk (say 20 mins) into the centre for the apres ski.

Loads of lifts up, including a short venicular railway in the town centre. Lots of runs some harder than others.

Apreski (or afterski as they call it in Sweden) runs in most bars, with live bands and swedish dancing which is mainly jumping up and down and the preferred music of choice is heavy rock. Afterski generally lasts for an hour or so in the evenings, then you can sort out food and maybe whatever happens next, although as drinks are expensive most dont stay out all night.

British are welcome and English is spoken by most people there (visitors and residents). There is a supermarket next to the train station if you are going self catering, but be aware that strong alcohol (anything over 3.5%) is only sold in the system bolaget = so if you are flying to trongheim, make use of the duty free on the flight to norway.

Some bars are more expensive than others so explore.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trondheim to Are very easy to do, check out skistar website for links to rail timetables and fares. We love Are, have been many times. Totally agree with Sack the juggler, Drinking is expensive, we also tend to stock up on spirits at the airport for drinking indoors and stick to beer in the bars. Broken in the middle of town for footy and burgers. If your a group of 6-8 Brunkulla works out cheaper than you would expect considering the quality of the apartments. Cheap and cheerful Fjallby next door if your less fussy. Both are within 2-5 mins walk from the VM:8 lift and a decent pub,nightclub next door, coffee and pastries shop attached to reception, bus stop outside, 10-15 min walk or 2min bus to town center. Ski buses free with lift pass and there is a limited service at night. We usually go end Mar/beg Apr and have had good snow everytime. Night skiing is finished by then as its daylight til quite late by then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I loved the place, we flew to about an hours taxi ride from the resort. The warm indoor picnic huts even has microwaves you can use Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The warm indoor picnic huts even has microwaves you can use

Many locals do packed lunches. Skiing is encouraged for the family. Pit don't see these warm rooms outside Scandinavia. Very civilised to ski there. Believe me these warm rooms are essential in winter after a couple of hours in the open.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are booked now,we are going to Gothenburg then Trondheim to Are.
The resort seems to have great non-ski stuff like ice driving,husky sledding and snomobiles !
Sounds like an expensive week coming up !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You won't regret it. We are heading out there again in March before the easter school break. Try the zip wiring too if you get the chance! There is a TeePee called Mr Bramwells on Tegerfjall next to Duved which is well worth a visit, they do great hot dogs at a reasonable (for Sweden) price. If the main Are area is busy then head to Duved as it tends to be quieter. Very Happy Quite honestly Are is the least crowded resort I have ever skied which is probably why I love it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi again,
Our trip to Are is sorted but we are going quite late !! Bit worried that a lot will be shutdown,as we arrive now on 13 April......
Also we are staying at The Tott hotel,can you ski down from there to the other lifts in the town ? piste map looks a bit confusing in that area.
Looks like you may have to go up on T bar first to go down....?
Anybody know ?
Cheers !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think from the Tott you can easily get to the slopes via the Bergbana (funicular railway) in the centre of town, from there you can either head left from the top towards Are By and the world cup lifts(chair/gondola) or you can head the other way to Bjornen which is quieter but mainly t-bars. You could always get on the free bus to the Kabinbana (cable car) to get to the top of the mountain.
Have a great time!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think you should be ok for snow mid April. The resort will probably be less busy than say feb or march, but that will just mean less queuing, I think all of the bars will still be open.

The tott is about halfway up the railway, but I'm sure there is a stop there for the guests. Once you are at the top of the railway you can ski across to the lifts. The pathways alongside the railway can be a bit icy on that hill so watch your step in your boots.

Tott is a nice hotel, you'll have a great time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
immer schuss, I remember that piste map around the Tott area is a shambles.

But basically you're sorted - the location is ideal. You walk about 20 metres across a private bridge from the hotel to the base of a drag lift. If you want to access the main area there is an (approved and signed) exit about 200 metres up the drag lift, from where you ski to the base of the cable car/chair lift. On the way back from the main area, gravity is on your side. Ski hire is also in the hotel, so all very convenient.

As a lad's trip, you will be a legend and a hero for the rest of your life - your friends will never stop thanking you.

For a similar mix of unbelievable women and OK skiing also consider Hemsedal - logistically quite easy to arrange (either Oslo airport, car hire, lots of acommodation online), although the skiing is far more challenging in Are.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going to Are in the second week of April. Has anyone been then? How busy are the runs then? Our accommodation is criminally cheap, so I'm guessing it's not a popular week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Draybs74, At the moment it looks real good, some of the lower areas will be a bit slushy but the skiing goes on until May 1st and the start of the mountain biking season. Last year it was possible to ski way beyond that as long as you were prepared to hike for your turns. You should have a great time. Very Happy
P.s the slopes are never that busy, often it feels like we have them to ourselves. OH and kids were there half term it was the busiest he has ever seen the slopes but it was still quiet compared to most French/Austrian resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy