Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worn soles on ski boots - any problem?

Poster: A snowHead
My brother in law's ski boots, which he will need at christmas, have been used over several weeks by both my sons (both bandy - they are canted). The soles are very worn on the heels - from being walked in - almost down to the screws. Otherwise they seem OK. He's a good skier but with bad knees and old age will just be pottering around, not needing hyper-control down moguls or anything like that.

Is the wear on the heels likely to make them dodgy in the bindings?

The boots are donkeys years old - Nordica "Biofit" with "dynamic power wrap" (!) and a black and purpley-brown cover, with orange flashes on the clips. I think they were moderately expensive when he first got them, as he needed the adjustments.

the sole says "made in Italy" and "energy rail" and the boots are 320mm.

Could the soles be replaced? Or will they be OK as they are?

He's fond of the boots, not keen to replace them as he doesn't expect to be skiing a lot more and finds them very comfortable.

Grateful for any advice and suggestions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I am sure CEM will be along in a minute, but start using cat tracks while walking which will stop them wearing anymore

heels can be replaced, I replaced some in daughters old boots a couple of years ago, just unscrew, and needs to be done before the screw heads wear away as they can be a pain to get off then, but don't know if you will be able to get the heel pieces for that model?? Look out for a identical pair on ebay to use the heel pieces?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, thanks. The soles are all in one piece - not separate heel pieces. Probably reflects their age! I think the wear was done a few years ago when younger son wore them clomping round the bars in Val D'Isere for a season! We never walk round in ski boots here - 40 yards across to the piste!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Are you sure that they are in one piece ? I can't think of a reason for screws in the heel other than to be able to remove part of it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do they look like these? I had a pair of them and they were the comfyist boots I've had. Brilliant clips that you could leave set but still undo. IIRC the heel pieces are replaceable. Mine did wear out though. The cable for the back part became a bit dodgy and some rivets failed. The heel pieces were worn but serviceable. Might be still kicking around here somewhere.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If the soles are too worn then you can't guarantee DIN release but a good ski shop should be able to assess if there is a risk.
snow report
 cran
cran
sounds like a good excuse for new boots! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HutToHut, they are similar to that, but not syntech. rjs, that's a very good question and prompted me to have another, more careful, look. The screws seem to be fixing very small heel pieces onto the sole of the boot - making a completely flat surface. The major part of the heel, and the whole of the rest of the sole, is integral to the boot - ie nothing that could be replaced. Completely different from a recent pair of Nordica boots with separate, and easily replaceable, heel and sole sections screwed on, with air in between. ie, if you were standing in the boots, you could poke a stick underneath, between the heel and sole. the old boots are completely flat to the ground.

sorry, long-winded explanation - I've not looked at them properly before!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

pam w, I am sure CEM will be along in a minute,

Or not, as he is away on his hols at the mo Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, thanks. I'm not in a rush - might take the boots home and get in touch when he's back. My BiL doesn't want to buy new boots for the little bit of skiing he's going to be doing and new heel pieces might be more like it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, You could see if SMALLZOOKEEPER is around, he sells Nordica.

Posting some photos could help people work out how bad they are too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
good idea, I'll see if I can get some pictures.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, What size is he. I've a pair of 2007 Tecnica Diablos where I've replaced the toe and heel sections ready to sell and never ebayed them yet, size 8.5. Just need the inners reheating to fit new persons foot and theyre ready to go, like new (but with a few minor scuffs). Got myself some touring boots so these are not used for last 2 years, only used for 5 weeks skiing. Not looking for big money, would be a good solution?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Yes, quite likely. Sad

I had a pair of pretty badly worn boots the kept pre-releasing from my Fritschi Freeride bindings. I didn't think that worn heels were the problem initially because they seem to click in just fine. I got in touch with the binding distributors in the UK and they kindly offered to check the bindings, so I sent bindings and boots to them. They said the bindings were fine and the worn boots were the problem. I got new boots and all is well:-)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, sounds like you have had your monies worth out of those boots, get some new ones Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

sounds like you have had your monies worth out of those boots

yes, there's no doubt about that. But the owner finds them extremely comfortable and Christmas will likely be his last ski holiday and he doesn't want to be faffing about trying to get new boots fitted. Dropped them in a ski shop in the village this morning. The technicians aren't in the shop at the moment ('cos it's summer) but I'll pop back in a few days and see what they say.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
My brother in law's ski boots, which he will need at christmas, have been used over several weeks by both my sons (both bandy - they are canted). The soles are very worn on the heels - from being walked in - almost down to the screws. Otherwise they seem OK. He's a good skier but with bad knees and old age will just be pottering around, not needing hyper-control down moguls or anything like that.

The boots are donkeys years old - Nordica "Biofit" with "dynamic power wrap" (!) and a black and purpley-brown cover, with orange flashes on the clips. I think they were moderately expensive when he first got them, as he needed the adjustments.

the sole says "made in Italy" and "energy rail" and the boots are 320mm.

Could the soles be replaced? Or will they be OK as they are?

He's fond of the boots, not keen to replace them as he doesn't expect to be skiing a lot more and finds them very comfortable.

Grateful for any advice and suggestions.

Hi!

If you can send me a photo of the offending boots i can see if we have spare toe and heel units. We are the spares-repairs/warranties for nordica and tecnica in the UK.

info@skiequipmentuk.co.uk

Hope this helps a little.

AT
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy