Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Words that can not be translated

Poster: A snowHead
Am just translating a new ski school's websites into English (you know the bit where you click the Union Jack and it all changes) and half the time I’m not really translating word for word as it’s simply not possible.

Many words in one language can’t be translated into another.

I’ll give you two examples:

There is no word in Italian for Fluffy (but they all know what it is).
I have had the instructors from 3 different schools (plus families and friends) arguing about this for days and its true. Mind you we all know what Fluffy is but it’s quite difficult even in English to describe it without A] using a “lot” of words or the word itself.

There is no English word for Piropo (but we all know what it is).
This “used” to be a complement given in a poetic style by a dashing gentleman to a lady (forsooth thou art reet dead cute), but now it’s more considered to be like a builder shouting “Ya’ll right daaarlin”.

Anyone got any more ??

(Clean ones please Shocked )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to the French, "weekend".

Le weekend indeed... rolling eyes

Mrs M.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In France the 'weekend' is just the two lazy, drunken work-free days that follow the other 5 lazy, drunken work-free days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schadenfreude and de já vu.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Schadenfreude and de já vu.
gloat?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gemuetlichkeit.............the feeling of all round well being and happiness........ alive and well in Austria, we partially had it in UK for 2 weeks when the Olympics was on, now sadly departed rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fiat cuntagetinta?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dreich ... ciao ... prego
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sanman wrote:
prego

= you're welcome

sanman wrote:
ciao

= Hi or Bye (depending on context)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apparently foreigners have trouble with "wilderness". That and the rest of the language, the heathen.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most words spoken in Glaswegian. Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andersont wrote:
Apparently foreigners have trouble with "wilderness". That and the rest of the language, the heathen.

Well it is "vildmark" in Swedish. So they wouldn't have any trouble.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Picnic. Probably a British pastime, hence no other language variants. Who else but Brits would want to eat squashed butties and chase away flying insects from their food but the Brits? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, Hmm I went on a "picnic" with a french family near Bourges a few years ago. It consisted of a whole salmon, numerous bottles of wine, bread, cheese, etc!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, surely that was a pique-nique?
snow conditions
Apparently 'sh*thead.' Though I appear to have sparked a bit of a trend in Innsbruck with 'sheissenkopf' regardless...
ski holidays
Schadenfreude
latest report
I am surprised no-one has said "ski" and "slalåm" snowHead
snow report
Laicite (with accents that I don't seem to work out on this keyboard). Something we could learn a lot from.
latest report
Wayne wrote:
sanman wrote:
prego

= you're welcome
Possibly my favourite word in the world - it just sounds so beautiful, and it feels nice in the mouth as you say it (well, that's what she said)... If I recall my Italian correctly, it has a great many uses (e.g. a waiter's "may I help you", though mostly boiling down to variants of the "you're welcome" theme). I like it so much I actively seek out situations when I can employ it whilst in Italy.
ski holidays
nordicfan wrote:
I am surprised no-one has said "ski"

I'm not as ski = sci where I work anyway; it's pronounced (almost) like "she".
latest report
Selah, zanshin?

Going back the other way, I guess you'd have to look for weird sporting jargon to maximise inconvenience. Googly, anyone?

In a more on-topic theme, I note that there's a fair bit of arguing about the actual meaning of "slarve", so it wouldn't appear to have been translated into English yet, let alone any other language. Maybe portmanteau words are cheating, though.
snow report
'Nesh'
snow report
Gemütlichkeit = Cosy
snow conditions
flangesax, too simplistic a translation.

It really cannot be translated as it encompasses so many different things to do with not only the place, but also the atmosphere and the people concerned. Cosy is just too twee and lazy a translation! wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, nope... it means cosy.
Those are the things that make something or somewhere cosy.
snow conditions
"Normalement" (French). Not to be translated as "normally".
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

"Normalement"

I'd translate that with "clearly' or "shurely"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Nope. I have learnt the hard way that if someone says, for example that "normalement" the new piste will be opening in December 2011 it means "well, it was kind of planned to be opening in December 2011 but all kinds of contingencies could mean that actually it won't, so don't hold us to it".

It most definitely doesn't mean surely. Maybe "hopefully", but even that doesn't catch the full nuance of the French "normalement".
latest report
pam w yeah, sure, "definitely maybe" is an apt translation in many circumstances I think. When I worked with some Saudis, their use of "Insha'Allah" seemed pretty similar, although that is not the original intended use of the phrase.
snow report
sugardaddy wrote:
pam w,
Quote:

"Normalement"

It's a very very slippery word, and causes endless confusion when French people speaking in English actually say 'normally'.

"Normally the house we're looking for is round this corner."

Uh huh. And the rest of the time?

So yeah, it means something like 'probably', 'hopefully' or 'I expect'.
ski holidays
What's the translation of that thing the French do where they simply blow a raspberry in your face? I think it means something like "I have no control over the thing we're discussing, and that's that, stop wasting my time as I have an amphibian to consume as a matter of urgency. Also piss off."
latest report
Bof
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Bof

Very Happy
snow conditions
flangesax, A very simplistic translation for sure, but misses out on so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemuetlichkeit - tries to sum up the quandary. There are endless discussions about how it is applied to things a varied as apartments, hotels, financial situations, etc. The Leo Forums have many discussions on how it is so much more than merely cosy: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=&search=Gemütlichkeit

A bit like trying to translate the Irish word "Craic" wink
snow report
nini - a swahili term for anything you can remember the name of

The closest I can get is thingimibob or whatchimecalitit, but nini has a much better ring to it.
snow report
ah, once you get into Swahili (of which I know hardly anything) you also have the very useful "hot moto" and "hot kali" to distinguish between something which is hot because it's just come out of the oven and something hot because it has a lot of chili in. And a "nini" is a "truc"in French - I use that a lot in French DIY supermarkets "Je cherche un truc pour.......". In Italian you have aggeggio (contraption, gadget), a word I learnt courtesy of 'Arry Potter and which is particularly good used in a negative sense in a bad temper, preferably whilst stamping the feet and waving the arms about (stupid bloody contraption....).
ski holidays
there is no French expression for 'now lads- dig in this time we will prevent Paris from falling into enemy hands'
latest report
surprised nobody's mentioned 'faff' - gold medal sport for all too many
snow conditions
Quote:

there is no French expression for 'now lads- dig in this time we will prevent Paris from falling into enemy hands'

to which the answer is..... "Bof!"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy