Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skisecondhand.com

Poster: A snowHead
anybody used these before?

I'm looking for a pair of secondhand piste skis - was hoping to get a decent pair from ebay but I'm having no luck (or maybe being too picky) at the moment, so I found these - any thoughts?

http://skisecondhand.com/index.php?route=common/home
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
used SKIS FREE RIDE & FREE STILE

I know a farmer who maybe interested in the latter wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, every single ski described as perfect condition, no mention of model year, profile, binding (is it even included?) or boot sole length. Usage/suitability descriptions laughable. Reckon they spend a lot of time at car boot sales and not much time on a mountain...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raceplate wrote:
Hmmm, every single ski described as perfect condition, no mention of model year, profile, binding (is it even included?) or boot sole length. Usage/suitability descriptions laughable. Reckon they spend a lot of time at car boot sales and not much time on a mountain...

I've written to them asking about that - I await their reply
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just got this answer

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in Skisecondhand.com.
Yes, all skis from our online shop are ex-hire wich means that some of them are used more, another - less.

Dynastar Legends are skis in perfect condition as they have been used for short time, their edges are sharpened and the surfaces are polished.

The construction of these skis is sandwich type wich mean that they have been made from differant matterials, wich makes them very strong and with great stability.
This model was produced in 2009.

In this case we offer a great combination of price, quality and service!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raceplate, Agreed Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sack the Juggler, the 6 Dynastar Legends that come up on a 'Dynastar' search http://skisecondhand.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=28 have all got exactly the same picture which I'm 99% sure is a 2008MY Dynastar Legend Mythic Rider. Unfortunately it wasn't made in a 160cm or a 168cm length so that doesn't tie up but the 178cm is a correct length for that model if the picture is actually correct! I wouldn't buy ex-hire skis blind unless I knew the seller's reputation very well. Doesn't inspire confidence to me...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate wrote:
Sack the Juggler, the 6 Dynastar Legends that come up on a 'Dynastar' search http://skisecondhand.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=28 have all got exactly the same picture which I'm 99% sure is a 2008MY Dynastar Legend Mythic Rider. Unfortunately it wasn't made in a 160cm or a 168cm length so that doesn't tie up but the 178cm is a correct length for that model if the picture is actually correct! I wouldn't buy ex-hire skis blind unless I knew the seller's reputation very well. Doesn't inspire confidence to me...

I would normally agree, but it uses paypal and that does offer some protection - thinking of giving them a go - so might have to ask for some opinions on a range of skis! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On ebay I think using paypal does offer some protection but on an independant site selling second hand gear im not so sure that is true.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK,

I'm thinking of giving these a go and just buying some skis using paypal - just checked with paypal and they say I'm covered so if they don't arrive or not as described then I can open a dispute.

Looking for a piste ski, quite stiff, good edge and easy to handle - here are a few options from the site - any feedback on which would suit those requirements best?

These are described as Atomic Race SL - but they look like Atomic Race Pro L

Atomic Nomads

Blizzard G-force Pro

Blizzard G-Forece Sonic

Salomon x wing tornado?

Dynastar Legend Mythis rider?

I'll ask them to clarify exactly what ski, year, binding, etc it is before I buy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sack the Juggler, and I guess what length the binding is set for if they are not on rails.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sack the Juggler, what height & weight are you? When I was looking earlier I thought a lot of the skis were in their 'non-typical' lengths.

Definitely not the Dynastars (88mm) or Atomic Nomads (79mm) - they're too wide and 2008 models. Tornados were good but probably been rented to death. Blizzard G Force Sonic (the white one) is suitable in the right length: 2009 model with good test scores and write up on expertskier.com (my favourite review site) "Focused strongly on the groomed (bumps OK for those who ski bumps well), the Sonic is a supercarver for fall line skiers, stable in larger radius turns and an excellent ski upon which to hone carving skills. It works best for carving, is easy to ski and remarkably light in feel for those familiar with previous generations of Blizzards." Don't know the green Blizzard one but if it's the Pro model may be too stiff/demanding for you, ditto the Atomic Pro's.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best check out the Nordica Doberman Spitfires. There's a couple of them with the newer bindings. Steal at £150/£160.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate, you sure that's the Mythic Rider? Seems quite a lot of sidecut, definitely not Legend 8000, maybe 4800 or whatever it was though.

Miss my Legend 8000s. Great bump skis!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ok guys - just to let you know, I decided to go for it and ordered the salomon x wing tornados. The cost was £145 with free delivery.

I was worried that they would be hired to death, but skisecondhand have assured me by email that they are in very good condition with only a few marks on the topsheets and the base and edges are in "excellent" condition.

They are going to set the skis up for my boots and for my DIN and they have been waxed and edged - so now its just a case of wait and see - they reckon they will be with me in 10 days, so hopefully I will be reporting back in 2 weeks to let you know if they have arrived.

I'll post some pictures of the bindings and the edges when they arrive.

I don't expect them to be "perfect" (as per their website description) as I know they are hire skis, but I don't expect them to be hammered either - especially given their emails to me.

As I've said, I'm protected by paypal if they are complete duffers, but I'm hoping they will be in decent enough condition for me to leave them in Stockholm as my Sweden skis.
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler, thanks for the update. I'm certainly interested to see what the condition is. Topsheets don't really matter as long as they're not de-laminated, the real issue is whether they're 'dead' through too much use, i.e. lost their rebound and stiffness. TBF they look pretty good in the photo so could be a good deal. I don't suppose they gave you an indication of what season they're from (I think that graphic is the 2009 version) or more importantly how many days/weeks hire they had had?

clarky999 having looked more closely I don't think that Dynastar is the Mythic Rider (it should have Mythic written on the tail) but I also can't match that graphic pattern to any other Legend. Maybe it was a rental only ski?
ski holidays
Raceplate, no they couldn't tell me how many days skiing they had done, mainly because they didn't hire them - they basically buy up the hire skis that are worth saving from ski hire shops in austria at the end of each season.

I was initially drawn towards the x wings but was worried by the fact that they were probably battered - so I looked in detail at about half a dozen sets of skis and they sent me close ups of the bindings, edges, topsheets, etc so I could better guage the wear / use the skis had seen.

After cutting down the selection I asked which of the final few were in the best condition (edges and base) and they said probably the salomons, so I went with them afterall.

The bindings do show some wear (scuffs), but not massively so (especially given some of the hire skis I've used), so that gave me some indication of how much use they had had, as did the condition of the top sheets - I know its a gamble, but buying anything second hand is, especially skis.
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler, well if nothing else it sounds like they're helpful! I forgot that the photos seem to be generic so it's good that they've sent you specific ones. "You pays your money and makes your choice!" as they say around here Smile Let us know how you get on.
snow report
Laughing oh well, that didn't last long! Just got a call from skisecondhand, although the delivery to the UK is free it will cost another £80 to deliver the skis to the Isle of Man! Shocked

They did ask if I wanted them delivered to a UK address, but while I'm in the UK this weekend, I'm not back over with the car until next year, and I wanted the skis for this winter in Sweden.

So I declined both options and they will be returning my money - shame, they were really helpful and I do not beleive they were trying to rip me off on the fees - this is just what their courier charges them, so they were looking for the other option.

For £230 I could have bought another pair of K2 Chargers in the Edge & Wax sale AND had them delivered! Very Happy
latest report
Sack the Juggler, looks like we'll have to find a new guinea pig wink Any volunteers?
snow conditions
Sack the Juggler,

Another point for Scotty Dog
snow report
musher wrote:
Sack the Juggler,

Puzzled
snow report
Sack the Juggler wrote:
musher wrote:
Sack the Juggler,

Puzzled

oh! you mean edge & wax! Very Happy I agree - just bought two pair of skis of him for the alps, was looking for something cheap to leave in sweden
snow report
Sack the Juggler, shame, I have a pair of Tornado's and they go like hell, great skis. Toofy Grin

Kersh
latest report
Kersh wrote:
Sack the Juggler, shame, I have a pair of Tornado's and they go like hell, great skis. Toofy Grin

Kersh
BOOOOO!!! Laughing
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler, I didn't have the heart to tell you but the slightly wider 2010 Ti with Powertrack plate is also my everyday piste ski. Fantastic Very Happy
ski holidays
Raceplate, Well it might be back on again Very Happy they have said they can send them straight to Sweden for free postage, so I'm trying to arrange for someone to deliver them to!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy