Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has Anyone Used Their Tesco Pts on Avios? (Formerly Air Miles)

Poster: A snowHead
Just seen that if you convert Tesco pts into Avios (the new name for Air Miles) before the end of August, you get 50% extra.

With the bonus offer, £25-worth of pts gets you 9000 Avios, which is (apparently) enough for a flight to Geneva, Munich or Milan - and all for an admin payment of £27. These seemingly have to be used for BA or Iberia flights only.

I'm not registered with Avios, so can't check the exact details....Has anybody used them? If so:

- Does 9000 Avios = a return trip - or does it need 18000 for a return to a ski gateway?
- Does no. of pts required vary with season? (More pts at peak times?)
- Ditto the above question - but re. regional departure airports/connecting flights.

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup. I've been converting all my Tesco vouchers into Avios (I do my shopping mainly in Waitrose, I use Tesco occasionally but it's mainly from fuel). I also collect Avios on my Shell Driver's Club card. Over the last 4 years, I've accumulated over 56,000 avios and I've just booked return flights, business/club-class, to Geneva for a trip in December for 36,000 points + £34 in taxes.

9000 is each way.

I went for club/business-class as it also means you get the heavier baggage allowance of 32Kg rather than 23Kg

As far as I can tell, the points don't vary, but you might find the number of seats allocated to Avios customers does.

I'm not sure about regional flights as I was only dealing with flights from Heathrow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avios is available on British Airways and IIRC Iberian, which means that they are only really available from London airports (BA should really be renamed London Airlines). A bit of a pain, but if you find flight with them, and they are often few and far between, they are great value. For my last booking to Venice (for the Dolomites) we used Avios for the flight out and purchased BA tickets for the return.

So to answer the original questions
You need 9000 points for each leg of the journey
The number of points required does not vary, with season but availability does.
With a few tiny exceptions BA only flies from London airports.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
36,000 for 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids) return to Basel/Mullhouse but that is Sunday to Sunday if it makes a difference. Shirley that's 9000 each return - I just checked, and we do have return flights Very Happy

36,000 points deducted and 4 x £27 payments.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher, Yes, I thought it was return (airmiles was)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We looked at using Avios (actually BA Miles back then) last year to get from Scotland to, well, anywhere in Europe for a ski trip. Unfortunately because you need to change in London, you end up paying two sets of taxes and you might as well book a straight through flight. I think Edinburgh to Zurich return worked out 'free' plus about £150 in taxes, but we got flights Edinburgh to Chambery (Jet2) for about the same price.

This year we used them to fly to Calgary, but we're not convinced it was a particularly good deal.

So, as said above, probably worth it if you can conveniently fly from London, but otherwise probably not.

There's a limit to how many you can 'buy' (convert from Tesco points) which limits them a bit - we were looking at flights to US for a holiday next year, but it's not really doable.

There is also a limited number of reward tickets available on each flight, so even if you have enough points you may find you are too late to book the flights you want.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used "Airmiles" several times in the past for flights to Zurich, Munich, Turin with Lufthansa/Swissair/BA, and have easily managed to get 4 European return flights per year through saving Tesco points.

Now that it's "Avios" the flights are limited to BA flights there is not as much on offer, but if you can fly midweek and off-peak there's some great flights to Innsbruck, Salzburg, Munich, Turin, Zurich throughout the ski season. Pre-Xmas and post New Year have lots of options for these airports in particular. 9000 Avios per return flight plus £27 per person, hire a car (cheap in Italy, okay in Germany, rip-off in Switzerland), book accommodation through Booking.com. The benefits are free ski carriage if within your 23 kilo baggage allowance, a d-i-y package that suits you, quiet airports, flexibility. Also means you can get away for more than a couple of ski trips at less than a TO.

Total Avios in my accounts is 60 000. That's equal to 3 return trips for 2 adults. Happy days!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yellow Pyranha,

I don't remember the exact figures, but the first time I used them back when they were BA miles, I'm sure that my flights (to Barcelona I think) ended up only costing about £50 less than the full price ones.

I buy my diesel at either Shell or Tesco, use a BA AMEX card, Holiday Inns etc. in the IHG(?) group and manage one free flight for the family a year. Converting your Tesco points when they have the offers on can be a real boost.

I'm saving my Nectar points. Not sure what for, but I'll be able to get something really good the amount I have now. I wish I could convert those into Avios though Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hah! just checked my account and it IS return.. I've got more miles left than I thought. Bonus! Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used my Avios from converted Tesco vouchers to get a return premium economy reward flight to Hong Kong at Easter this year. The icing on the cake was being upgraded to Club Class at the boarding gate on the way back!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've finally signed up to Avios....Just searched for Geneva flights in March 2013 - to find that taxes and charges are way in excess of the £27 per person that is referred to in earlier posts Confused - eg:

Newcastle > Heathrow > Geneva £150 each in taxes, fees and charges Shocked .

Heathrow > Geneva £90 each in taxes, fees and charges.

Looks like I'm sticking with easyjet.....Same dates are £70 each from Newcastle, direct to Geneva rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, I think with Avios you have to have collected some miles within the past 12 months in order to book Euro flights at £27 plus miles. I convert my Tesco points to BA Miles (now Avios) and tend to use them for longhaul rather than shorthaul and it works out good value for us.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, Just booked my flights to Munich -Return. 9000 points each plus the £27 per person - £54 return for 2 - Big Bargain! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, Just looked at flying from Newcastle to geneva - Definately only 9000 points each return + £27 each for fees - iwent right through to the payment section. Don't know what you were looking at? Do you have any Avios points on your account yet? It will charge you for the flight if you have no points to exchange yet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My return flights from Heathrow to Geneva were £34 in total for taxes and charges.
snow conditions
I don't think Mr Mountainaddict has got this Avios thingy sorted.

Mebbe he should check just how many Avios Miles he's collected since "signing-up".
snow conditions
Maybe there aren't enough points and so the £150 is cash+points to make it up?
snow report
Hmm, very interesting thread. It seems from the Tesco site that if you use the "Clubcard reward" route it is only £27 extra, but is that each way, or return? If it's return then it's a very good deal and I have quite a lot of Tesco points.
ski holidays
How long do you have to spend avios points? Condsidering converting them to get the bonus but not sure exactly when we would Actualy fly if we do? Thanks
snow report
NickyJ, Avios points keep accruing if you've signed up for Tesco's exchange scheme. All your earned Tesco points become converted to Avios miles and credited directly to your Avios Account.

pam w, £27 per person RETURN!

BTW, some credit cards offer an Avios reward, Ebay purchases also get (very few) Avios miles.

I reckon to get the equivalent of between 40 000 to 50 000 Avios miles per year using Tesco's supermarkets/petrol. At 9 000 per person return flights to Ski-destination airports that's 4 return flights each season, easy!
snow report
pam w, Definitly £27 return.
ski holidays
skimastaaah, Plugboy, thanks. Provided there are a reasonable number of Avios seats available, not just on the flights that are dirt cheap anyway (I can do Gatwick/Genoa return for £8Cool that's worth doing. Will keep some Tesco points for eurotunnel too, which is also a good deal at one-third of the normal price (and you can book any crossing). I have a Tesco credit card, which is where most of my points come from.
latest report
I've not actually booked this, so may or may not be helpful, but I was looking at the Avios website for flights from Glasgow to Geneva, and it doesn't suggest you have to pay 2 lots of taxes because it's 2 flights (i.e. via London), just the £27 quid per return flight. As I say though, not booked it yet so it could still change. Has anyone booked with Avios from a regional airport and can confirm exactly what the taxes situation is?
snow report
Quote:
I don't think Mr Mountainaddict has got this Avios thingy sorted. Mebbe he should check just how many Avios Miles he's collected since "signing-up".
Not sure why "signing up" should be in inverted commas.....I have indeed "signed up" to Avios as it's the only way you can get a flight quote.... Confused

Fact is I currently have a balance of zero Avios - but have enough Tesco tokens to get about 40,000 if I cash my Tesco pts in before 31.8.12.

Regardless of my zero balance, the Avios website allows me to get a quote, which states, quite clearly, that x2 return flights from Newcastle to Geneva in March 2013 would include free connecting flights to Heathrow and would require 18,000 Avios plus a payment of £291.62.

As I mentioned earlier, a bit dearer than the £27 each that's being bandied about. Can someone clarify please Puzzled I need to decide whether to convert my Tesco tokens in the next few days Confused .

UPDATE: Just spotted the info in Rob@rar's and Plugboy's posts..... rolling eyes . Is that the definitive answer? ie once you start collecting Avios, you get the flights for a £27 payment?
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Can someone clarify please Puzzled
I did earlier.

I'm pretty sure you have to have earned Avios points within the last 12 months to qualify for the £27 rate. I have a small balance of Avios with AirMiles (mostly I convert to BA's Exec Club account) and tried to book a flight recently and was also quoted a much larger amount than the £27 rate. I called AirMiles and was told as I haven't credited any Avios points to my AirMiles account within the last 12 months I was not eligible for the £27 rate. Not a problem for me, as I used my BA account to book the same flights for £27. As your account currently has zero Avios you won't be eligible.

I recommend you call AirMiles to confirm this is the case.
latest report
Quote:
Quote:

I think with Avios you have to have collected some miles within the past 12 months

Can someone clarify please....I did earlier.

Oh....I took the words 'I think' to mean you weren't sure - hence asking if anyone knew the definitive position. I just don't want to end up with a zillion Avios that will cost more than easyjet flights if/when I come to cash them in.

Thanks for your latest post - that clears it up. I'll contact them to make sure.
snow report
mountainaddict, I don't want to say for definite that I'm right - I don't work for AirMiles so I'm not in a position to confirm the bit about 12 months. If you're worried about converting your points in to an account which isn't useful for you a quick phone call is the best way to get clarification.
ski holidays
Just booked return journeys via Avios for Geneva for the PSB at 9000 points plus £27 and Venice for the Birthday Bash at 15000 points plus £27. The Manchester to London flights are included for no extra charge. Result. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict,
Quote:
UPDATE: Just spotted the info in Rob@rar's and Plugboy's posts..... . Is that the definitive answer? ie once you start collecting Avios, you get the flights for a £27 payment?

As it would seem Mr Mountainaddict ................ you can only start to use the Avios rewards system once you actually have "banked" some Avios. wink
snow report
Eleanor wrote:
I've not actually booked this, so may or may not be helpful, but I was looking at the Avios website for flights from Glasgow to Geneva, and it doesn't suggest you have to pay 2 lots of taxes because it's 2 flights (i.e. via London), just the £27 quid per return flight. As I say though, not booked it yet so it could still change. Has anyone booked with Avios from a regional airport and can confirm exactly what the taxes situation is?

Hi, if you fly out of London within 12 hours of arriving, then you don't pay taxes on the flight to London from a regional airport. We have just booked from Glasgow to Gibraltar, it's a few more miles, (not sure how many other half did it) but no more taxes. We've used them for flights quite a few times from Glasgow.

I didn't really listen to other half when he was talking about the bonus thing till end of August, wish I did and I would have told him to convert all our Tesco points!! Hopefully they'll bring it out again in the future.
latest report
Ah just had a look and think we qualify for the 2000 per quarter bonus, we got it in March. So if we convert Teco vouchers for 1500 each quarter we get a bonus of 2000 per quarter, so worthwhile doing that. In March they did an offer thing, so plan is to wait and see if there is an offer on at each quarter, if so convert the 1500 at time of offer and then we'd get the offer plus the 2000 bonus. If no offer just convert at end of quarter.

ie Up to end of August 50% extra offer - convert 1500 get 750 extra and also the 2000 bonus for the quarter.

Sound right?
ski holidays
Gilly28,

Yes, I think it's best not to automatically convert them into Avios and wait for the special conversion rate offers. I really only buy diesel at Tesco so I don't know about the bonus.
snow report
Once you get into Avios collecting, you'll find there are whole heaps of ways of boosting you points. For example many here have talked about tesco, but do you know tesco will give you 100 tesco points for every eligible empty ink cartridge you send them, up to 100 cartridges a year. That's 10,000 tesco points that convert to 24,000 Avios miles. Add about £30 quid and you can fly most near anywhere in Europe that BA goes.

But the best way to boost your points is by getting a credit card. The Amex gold card will give you 20,000 Amex MR points ( that can be converted to 20,000 Avios) if you spend £2000 within the first 3 months. The card normally costs £125, but currently they give you the card for free for the first year. If you have 2k to spend, this is a no brainer way of getting a stash of Avios. You can get 22k instead of 20k if you get referred by an existing card holder.

You find a lot more ways to get Avios miles and hotel points by reading my blog that charts my challenge to get High end multi centre holiday, using frequent flyer points as much as possible. There is also a link on the blog that provides you with the 22k points instead of 20k when apply for the amex gold card.

Http://www.goingonrewards.com
ski holidays
We're currently staying in a hotel in Calgary for free because we used our ba/avios miles to book, will be doing the same on Friday when we get back from two nights up in the Yukon (hopefully seeing the northern lights) then after skiing in Banff/LL we're flying back club world by paying for a premium economy ticket and using miles to upgrade into club world. Did the same last time and its a very worthwhile way of redeeming points
latest report
Tangey wrote:
Once you get into Avios collecting, you'll find there are whole heaps of ways of boosting you points. For example many here have talked about tesco, but do you know tesco will give you 100 tesco points for every eligible empty ink cartridge you send them, up to 100 cartridges a year. That's 10,000 tesco points that convert to 24,000 Avios miles. Add about £30 quid and you can fly most near anywhere in Europe that BA goes.

But the best way to boost your points is by getting a credit card. The Amex gold card will give you 20,000 Amex MR points ( that can be converted to 20,000 Avios) if you spend £2000 within the first 3 months. The card normally costs £125, but currently they give you the card for free for the first year. If you have 2k to spend, this is a no brainer way of getting a stash of Avios. You can get 22k instead of 20k if you get referred by an existing card holder.

You find a lot more ways to get Avios miles and hotel points by reading my blog that charts my challenge to get High end multi centre holiday, using frequent flyer points as much as possible. There is also a link on the blog that provides you with the 22k points instead of 20k when apply for the amex gold card.

I got an Amex in September and already have 45,000 points, just for spending on what I normally spend. Seems brilliant, and as a charge card you cannot run up any bills.
It can also be used with 4square for small deals.
I love it, keeps the current account a month better off as well.
snow report
Any business owner would be mad not to have an Amex BA platinum card.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Any business owner would be mad not to have an Amex BA platinum card.

I'm a business owner.. why am I mad?
ski holidays
feef,

Quote:
1.5 Avios for virtually every £1 you spend
3 Avios for virtually every £1 you spend direct with British Airways or BA Holidays
25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 in your first 3 months of Cardmembership
Spend £10,000 or more within an anniversary year to earn a complimentary Companion Voucher, valid for 24 months
Complimentary Supplementary Cards for family members.

The Avios mount up pretty quickly if you run business expenses through it. The companion voucher allows you take A.N. Other with you on any reward flight (any class). Mrs L and I get to N. America every year (Club or First) that way.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/ba-premium-plus-credit-card/

PM me if you're interested - I could get bonus Avios! snowHead

But if you're not interested, you're not mad really. wink
ski holidays
If you read through my blog, you'll find how I went from zero to the equivalent of over 800k Avios in two years. It took a bit of doing, and I have probably spent £1800 at this stage, but when you consider that 125k avios plus the use of a 2-4-1 voucher can get me £12,000 of flights, you can see the value in it.

snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
feef,

Quote:
1.5 Avios for virtually every £1 you spend
3 Avios for virtually every £1 you spend direct with British Airways or BA Holidays
25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 in your first 3 months of Cardmembership
Spend £10,000 or more within an anniversary year to earn a complimentary Companion Voucher, valid for 24 months
Complimentary Supplementary Cards for family members.

The Avios mount up pretty quickly if you run business expenses through it. The companion voucher allows you take A.N. Other with you on any reward flight (any class). Mrs L and I get to N. America every year (Club or First) that way.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/ba-premium-plus-credit-card/

PM me if you're interested - I could get bonus Avios! snowHead

But if you're not interested, you're not mad really. wink

That's exactly what we do. We put all our business and personal expenses through a BA Amex Platinum card and end up with zillions of Avios. Well enough for Business Class travel to Canada for the whole family every year. It's really a no-brainer if you travel.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy