Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go Jan 2013?

Poster: A snowHead
So myself and my fella are going to be honeymoon-ing in the alps for 3 weeks in January. The first and last weeks have been sorted (St Anton and Meribel), however, we are't sure where to go for the middle week. We were thinking of Zermatt, but I'm a bit concerned that the reviews suggest it isn't as great as I've been led to believe and the prices are fairly shocking. Does anyone have any suggestions for a swiss/italian resort that is reasonably high altitude, decent apres and with a vast quantity of pistes? Your experiences of Zermatt would also be much appreciated. Cheers!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tordi, can't help with a recommendation but it sounds like a fantastic honeymoon! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tordi, Zermatt fits your desired features pretty well and is an attractive place to honeymoon as well. Prices are pretty high though maybe not massively more than Meribel which is not cheap. We honeymooned in Davos which was great many moons ago now, not cheap either.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tordi, I suggest Verbier or Davos (or Klosters perhaps) in Swiss. They both have reasonably high altitude and brilliant apre-ski.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tordi, Zermatt gets snow quite late in the winter, so for piste skiing its a wonderful romantic destination, with lots and lots of charm, and high quality accommodation that should be pretty affordable middle - late Jan. Its a real contrast to the other two, and I think its a great choice. Some of the lift served off piste is likely to still be closed due to the rocky nature of the terrain, but it may not be such a problem if you are after hundreds of kilometers of piste. I cannot think of a better honeymoon destination, look for a room with a view of the Matterhorn not too far from one of the main lift bases (Sunegga or Rothorn). Be prepared to part with lots of cash - although its not really much different to meribel. Edit: I know nothing about apres, as have always been too knackered to do much other than a quick beer before bed!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Be prepared to part with lots of cash - although its not really much different to meribel.

I've never been to Zermatt, though I'd like to go, probably in the summer. If it costs much the same as Meribel it surely has to be much better value!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A cheaper alternative might be the Dolomites - also superlative scenery and plenty of pistes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,
Quote:

If it costs much the same as Meribel it surely has to be much better value!

I've found it somewhat cheaper on my visits but suspect that the strength of the Swiss Franc means this is no longer the case, but definatley better value IMO.

Quote:

A cheaper alternative might be the Dolomites - also superlative scenery and plenty of pistes.

Creates a bit more travel though if going from St Anton to Meribel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info. We are driving from the UK to St Anton first, then to Wengen to watch the downhill (wooohooo) and then on from there. So I think the Dolomites be quite a distance. I don't mind the expense of Zermatt if its worth it, I had just heard mixed reviews about it.....perhaps some folk were expecting the high price tag?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tordi wrote:
Thanks for the info. We are driving from the UK to St Anton first, then to Wengen to watch the downhill (wooohooo) and then on from there. So I think the Dolomites be quite a distance. I don't mind the expense of Zermatt if its worth it, I had just heard mixed reviews about it.....perhaps some folk were expecting the high price tag?

Tordi, forget about Dolomites, after Wengen choose between Zermatt or Verbier. Verbier is cheaper. And don't forget to try heli-ski in St.Anton or in Verbier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tordi, Whilst Zermatt is in my view definitely worth visiting, if you are going to be in Wengen for the downhill race anyway it's certainly worthwhile spending a couple of days in the Jungfrau area (Wengen and Mürren). Note that both Wengen and Mürren are car free, so you'll need to leave your car in the multi storey carpark in Lauterbrunnen anyway (you travel up by mountain railway from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen on one side of the valley, and by Cable car and train from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren on the other side, so a minimum of 1 day's skiing in Wengen (with great views of the North Face of the Eiger) and another in Mürren (with the famous black run down from the Schilthorn which of course also has the James Bond OHMSS film connection) would seem to be an opportunity too good to miss. You could then go on to Zermatt just for a couple of days - but note again that you'll need to leave your car in the carpark at Täsch and do the last bit by a 10 minute train journey into Zermatt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks so much for the advice. We aren't definite about watching the downhill yet, there isn't much availability in Wengen now and we aren't sure our budget will stretch that far anyway. But we will definitely give Zermatt a visit. Can't wait for this miserable summer to be done with, bring on winter! Soon the white stuff will be falling again!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
could you fit in the Hahnenkamm and Schladming night slalom - now that would be some trio of races to see. Wengen, Kitz and Schaldming - one day boabski, one day
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tordi, Sounds like a mega trip - I'd suggest Ischgl, Kitzbuhel (great town and ski area despite being quite low) or 4V/ Verbier for your middle week and then back to St Anton for 3rd week - I cant help but think that Meribel after St Anton would be a disappointment, certainly would be for me and my pals anyway. Been to both many times, 10-15x in Meribel in mid 90's and never been back since, I just dont like the service (or lack of) culture in Meribel and its too British (or was) for my liking. Zermatt is a great ski area, stayed there 2x but its not in my top 10 areas, I just dont particularly like the town, too glitsy and touristy, and rip-off prices, skiing not a patch on other areas like 4V, Arlberg and Ischgl/ Samnaun IMO. I much prefer Davos/ Klosters as a Swiss ski area than Zermatt (again touristy but Davos more of a working town so less so), Andermatt also worth looking at.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Someone quickly dismissed the Dolomites - I was thinking of going to Bormio. Any advice ? Confused
ski holidays
boabski, no Schladders night slalom because of the world champs in 2013
snow conditions
Quote:

Someone quickly dismissed the Dolomites

shelmerdine, I think that was for logistical reasons, given the OP's plans - there are plenty of Dolomites fans on snowheads and if you want specific advice about Bormio I'd start a new thread if I were you.
latest report
Dolomites have stunning scenery, and not expensive. Long distances can be skied in the Sella Ronda. Not much really challenging skiing (except a bit around Arabba) unless you ski off piste with a guide.
ski holidays
Markymark29, I'm really excited about going to St Anton. Its always been on my to-do list each season, but somehow the group holidays always end up in France. I think the plan now is to do about 8 days in St Anton (veto-ed the Wengen DH, too expensive and no reasonable accom left) and then about 5 days in Zermatt. I've skied Meribel before, although we were staying in Val Thorens at the time. It does seem to be quite expensive, but the ski area is (in my opinion) just awesome. So much to choose from, and I most certainly didn't get it all done last time we were there. Although the Espace Killy has always been and shall remain my FAVE; challenging terrain, amazing ski area and good atmosphere in Tignes. I've notice that St Anton hosts the Red Bull Huttenrallye, which looks brilliant. Does anyone know when it might be this year?

Where is everyone else heading this year? Winter is nearly up on us! Too early to get my skis and boards waxed? Probably.

Laughing
latest report
Huttenrallye is 12/13 of jan....get info from www. stantonamarlberg.com
snow conditions
I've checked out the Events Calendar on the St Anton website before and there isn't a date for the Huttenrallye. Its seems like its going to happen somewhere between the 12th and the 26th Jan. The 12/13 Jan is the FIS womens DH etc. Thanks though.
ski holidays
Sochi is marvellous that time of year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy