Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - accomodation advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Thinking of heading to Chamonix this year for up to a week between 26th Dec and 5th Jan (not sure exactly when), and never been but really fancy it.

Can anyone recommend a decent standard of accommodation which is all inclusive/half board, not too far from lifts? Would be going with my wife and other couples, so want something fairly decent (i.e. not a hostel), but not the ritz.

Thanks in advance

Olly
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maidstone98, Best bet to check the t.o. Site. Be careful with maps - you want to be near the Brevent, Flegere lifts, not the Aiguille di Midi... (corrected)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 31-08-12 6:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what's the web address?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amazingly it is www.chamonix.com

Andy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
maidstone98, Best bet to check the t.o. Site. Be careful with maps - you want to be near the Brevent, Flegere lifts, not the Grands Montets...

Really? I would have thought in skiing terms they should be beside the GM. Maybe for better accomodation, be beside Brevant or Flegere (don't think there's any accomodation within walking distance of Flegere, there are certainly nice places in that general area though.

OP, Chamonix is really about five seperate lift systems which are not connected (with the exception of Brevant and Flegere). IMO the best skiing by far is in Gran Montets, though some the other areas are very dramatic and worth a visit in themselves. As against that, I imagine (I've never stayed there) the accomodation close to the Grands Montets lift (Argentiere) is not as plush as Chamonix.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
8611, Aaaargh.

Sorry. Good catch. Typed while tired and in a hurry.

Being beside the Grands Montets would not be a bad thing, although you are not them in Chamonix. You are in Argentiere.

You do not want to be beside the Aiguille du Midi, although many people seem to think that is the centre of the skiing area(s).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How are you getting there? IMHO, you get the best out of Cham if you've got a car with you - gives you the flexibility of being able to easily move between areas without having to wait on buses/trains.

Brev/Fleg & GM are the main ski areas around Cham but there's La Tour at the top of the valley and Les Houches at the bottom which can often have very different conditions and also Courmayeur in Italy is about 1/2 an hour away through the tunnel. If you're feeling more adventurous or weather in Cham is really bad then you could also head over to St. Gervais/Megeve/Les Contamines which is only 45 mins or so and Verbier and Morzine are also close enough for a day trip with an early start. You're also more likely to get better value/quality accommodation if being walking distance to the lifts is not a priority.

Villages like Les Bossons (in between Cham and Les houches) could be v. good value but if you want good apres & nightlife then you do want to be walking disatnce to the centre of Cham town.

In terms of skiing:
GM - all deep and steep - good intermediates and above
Brev/Fleg - stunning south-facing slopes fantastic reds and some blues (many would be black in other resorts though), still not much beginners/weaker inters. Red Lachenal prob my favourite run in the world!
La Tour/Vallorcine - better for less experienced can be cold/windy, gorgeous views on sunny days though
Les houches - lower elevation, nice tree-lined runs, good skiing for all abilities and the go-to area on cloudy days
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with all jma has said

OP, having particular regard to the fact youre couples I think you need to be staying in Chamonix town itself, that's where you'll want to be when you're not skiing. The other ski resorts are all apart anyway so you're going to be travelling as it is. Chamonix is not really a ski in ski out destination.

Its also a nice town in its own right (i.e. it is not purpose built for skiing (just tourism generally Smile )) so its nice to potter around and it would be better to be stauing there for that purpose when people are having a day or morning off. A few very good restaurants there and some nice bars. I recommend Munchies, great food, book in advance, Atmosphere in town is also good if a little pricey, the micro brasserie (the Canadian burger joint) is also very good for a carb fix. Daniel Peru for kind of Asian Fusion, again like Munchies its small so book in advance. There's also a couple of high end Michelin starred places in town.

Unfortunately I can't recommend any nice accomodation as I've always self catered there. I have had a few nice drinks in nice hotels but can't remember their names. Does anyone know the name of the place on the corner of up the road from Technique Extreme? Was done up in recent times, all wood and open fires? I'll ask my sister in law she'll prob remember. I think Pierre et Vacances are there, google them and do some on line research, you'll definitely find somewhere nice but it won't be cheap.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.hoteleden-chamonix.com/

Two star hotel, four star food. I have stopped here for four Xmas NYE and would recommend it highly. It's a short walk from the Flegere lifts, and on the bus for everywhere else. It's not in the main town.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, I'd agree, although I'd think being in town might be important?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maidstone98, it would be helpful if you could clarify what your priorities are, in choosing a ski resort and accommodation, and why you want to go to Chamonix. It's not like anywhere else - a lot would depend on the kind of days you like, how you organise your holidays etc. For example, are you all similar standard skiers (and if so, what standard), are you OK with not being able to meet up for lunch if you go to separate areas, do you need a big pisted area, etc etc

Was in Chamonix yesterday - up the Flegere lift for a "balcon" walk. Was wonderful; hot as Hades though. Gonna do nothing today except sit on the terrace under an umbrella and watch the French guys over the road frying as they rebuilding their roof .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Recomend hotel Les Grand Montets - next to the GM lift in Argentiere .... best hotel and best skiing in the valley.
B&B only - but with swim pool, sauna and hot tub - and plenty of good restaurants 5 mins walk away.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611, Alan, not Daniel, Peru. [\pedantry]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mogulskiholiday, Shameless punt.

And not a very helpful page either... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, either way I'd love some of his grub, right now in fact, tis tasty stuff!
latest report
under a new name, either way I'd love some of his grub, right now in fact, tis tasty stuff!
latest report
I stay at Park Suisse hotel and its perfect for location, ski bus stop (behind the hotel about 2 mins walk) and right in town center. No frills, not basic just what you need if your looking for a box standard hotel. Check it out on Trip advisor I usually book through booking.com as is cheaper than direct with hotel - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187261-d314058-Reviews-Park_Suisse_Hotel-Chamonix_Haute_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html

I love Chamonix it has everything except ski in/out. Enjoy!
ski holidays
PBJ wrote:
Recomend hotel Les Grand Montets - next to the GM lift in Argentiere .... best hotel and best skiing in the valley.
B&B only - but with swim pool, sauna and hot tub - and plenty of good restaurants 5 mins walk away.

+1 Excellent place. Stayed a couple of years ago and would happily return. Great location
latest report
I can recommend Hotel Alpina, which is rigt in the centre and a short walk to Brevent lift, the bus stop to go to Argentier/Le Tour is also nearby. Not sure about your dates though - it can be already booked. We paid 99euros per night per double room (not per person as many hotels in ski resorts like to charge), which I think is a very reasonable price.
ski holidays
I am looking at Chamonix, but have not been, and due to the layout of the town I am becoming unsure where to go.

I am taking children 5 and 7 , who need lessons, and I would like reasonable skiing for me and MRS.BBB, but I am not an off piste person, insofar I can ski off piste, but it is not my biggest requirement. Like wise I understand that the 110 km of piste does not tell the whole story, but equally not sure I want to employ a guide. Forgive my stupidity, just do not want a weeks grief if I get this wrong.

If any one can offer a "Chamonix in a nutshell" that would be great.
snow conditions
blahblahblah, I will try, though I only ski in Chamonix maybe couple weekends per winter. It's a proper mountain town, not a purpose built resort, so ski-in/ski-out is rare but it's possible to find accommodation close enough to lifts. It has 4 ski areas near by: Brevent, Flegere, Grand Montets (Argentier), Le Tour, plus Les Houches which is a bit further. Courmayeur is also included in a ski pass but as you will be with kids I don't think travelling to the other side of Mont Blanc is a good option, plus there are more than enough ski options on a Chamonix side to keep anyone entertained. If you will be staying in Chamonix the closest place to ski is Brevent as gondola is in town itself, it's linked by cable car with Flegere. Other areas are not connected at all. Ski buses are free and run frequently so it's not that difficult to go to Argentier or Le Tour, but not on the same day as you ski Brevent. having so many ski areas are good when it's very windy as you can choose the one which will be more protected from wind than others. I was told that when it's snowing and blowing very hard the best option might be to head straigh to les Houches because they have skiing below the tree line, but I was never lucky enough to be in Chamonix on a powder day. If you are lucky to get powder days best thing would be to check on Internet in the morning what is open and head there and do it early enough as if everything else is closed everyone will ski there.

On a difficulty scale (I've never skied in Les Houches), Le Tour is the easiest, Argentier is the hardest with Brevent/Flegere in the middle, though each of this areas will have blue runs if you need them. ESF runs very good courses for kids. There are couple nursery slopes for complete beginners (or maybe 3 - I think there is one by Le Tour, but won't remember as I only skied Le Tour once quite a few years ago). For real off-piste experience you will need the guide or to know what you are doing (be able to recognise crevasses) as it will be mostly on a glacier. But there are challenging slopes that are ungroomed both in Argentier and Brevent/Flegere, maybe in Le Tour now too, but doing a guided descent of Vallee Blanche is a great experience. The classic route is fairly mellow, I would say less steep than an average red run in the area, but if you want a challenge there are quite a few variants.

Based on that I would recommend staying in town itself rather than in Argentier and then either ski Brevent/Flegere or take a bus to go elsewhere. Week ski courses is better to book in advance. You can check the resort website, they will give you the link to ski schools.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
blahblahblah, when are you planning on going? (As that makes a big difference to lesson availability).

Typically, the Chamonix ESF will take absolute beginners to the Savoy beginners slop which is just below the Brevent lift.

More advanced lessons are typically on the Brevent itself.

So there are some advantages to being near Brevent. Brevent is linked to Flegere and mostly blue and red runs. It is south facing so good for sun, but almost all the skiing is above 1,900m so the snow is usually good.

As said elsewhere, the buses are pretty frequent but can get very busy during scholl holidays. Having your own car can be an advantage.

What sort of accomodation are you thinking of?
ski holidays
blahblahblah, in a nutshell, I'd say chamonix might not be the best choice for you. Its not great for pistes, there are some very dramatic ones but there isn't a huge amount of them and they're quite disjointed. I think you prob deserve something more user friendly. Have you considered flaine? Its quite close to chamonix,i've never been but my bro brings his kids there and says its very user friendly. You could even drive up to chamonix for a day to see about next time? Just might be easier and would certainly be cheaper than chamonix.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy