Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Cherbourg to Megeve

Poster: A snowHead
Morning All,
Myself and a friend are considering ferry/drive on this route as our trip needs 11 days in Megeve and Grand Bornand areas and flights/car hire are looking a lot more expensive when everything is factored in.Has anyone done this or similar and can give me advice on suitable stopover (ferry docks about 14.00) and we want to get a good bit of driving done that day, also I've read about the "notorious" peripherique around Paris which our route guide is sending us on - is it the pits,is there a knack to it or do you just follow it and hope you get off at the right junction.Also any advice about prospective road conditions on the way down (mid March).
Cheers,
Briand.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The true peripherique is actually quite central in Paris, not like the M25 around London. I wouldn't have thought it would be sensible or necessary to touch it. There is an outer ring of major roads which would be much better.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, Thanks for that, I'll have to look it up, hopefully its the outer ring.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
briand6868, I've done this drive and as Colin B, says you dont need to go anywhere near the central peripherique. I've always managed to avoid rush hour and its been reasonable 40-70mph progress around paris (except once where I missed a turn and ended up VERY central by mistake)

try www.viamichelin.com for timings and routes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gilo, Colin B, Thanks for the info. looked it up on viamichelin and its the outer ring also motorway most of the way down.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
briand6868, does geography dictate that you go to Cherbourg? The drive from Calais is a bit longer but a lot more straightforward and the shorter crossing is a lot cheaper, too. The "périph" is a bit alarming, but can be entertaining. Only time I did it, was at 10 pm but was still very busy - I wasn't fast enough to pick the right direction, getting onto it, and ended doing three-quarters, rather than a quarter, but it still didn't take long. As Colin B says, nothing in common with the M25. I don't go via the western channel any more, but usually used the outer right road, which was a mess, and full of road works, but less nerve wracking than the périph. If I was doing it now I'd programme a satnav to take me round the outer ring.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Coming from Ireland but am thinking about Dublin/Holyhead/Tunnel rather than Rosslare/Cherbourg, even with the extra 300miles in U.K. the ferry timings make it a more convenient journey.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First time I drove that way (about 15 years ago, pre satnav, from Caen to Disney) I missed the outer ring roads (they weren't sign posted) and ended up on the peripherique at 6pm on a Friday Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
briand6868, that's a long journey, but Megeve is very very easy - not far off the motorway, no hairpin bends (though it's not impossible to need chains on the main route up from Sallanches, and quite common to need them in side streets within the resort).

Colin B, those outer ring roads were an absolute pain. I printed off an AA route, then wrote myself key instructions in big writing so that I could read them easily - and after a few trips, I got the hang of it. BUT it was very busy, usually, and when you've finally done it, you're on the grotty A6, full of lorries and (at that point) quite a few road works too. I much prefer driving down from Calais (did it this week, in fact) though the Calais-Reims stint is always a mission, so boring.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you do the Cherbourg route get yourself a satnav. We've just done that journey both ways and on the return journey it seems you end up much closer to the centre of Paris...close enough to have a good view of the Eiffel Tower! Even with the satnav, pay attention, the Peripherique uses tunnels, goes under bridges etc so you lose satellite connection. Having said all that we did in one push...12 hours to Briancon or about 9 to Grenoble. And we had no real traffic problems. The A6 was very bad, even after midnight, but it was a Fri before one of the famous black Saturdays when every road going south from Paris gets snarled up.

You could possibly avoid Paris altogether by going through Le Mans but from recollection that will add about an hour. Toll charges are about €60 (one way) on either route.

Next time I will go landbridge through the UK. Why, because the Cherbourg ferry takes too long and if you add on another night in France then you're up on 48 hours travelling. Through the UK we made Dublin to Briancon in just over 24 hours. Plus, if you're travelling in Winter you have the added problems of less daylight and a higher chance of a bad ferry crossing.

Bring the strong coffee or Red Bull and takes regular short breaks. Agree in advance not to fall out over whatever happens...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kevin Byrne, Great stuff - have looked at the Landbridge route and this is deffo the way to go Dublin-Holyhead-Tunnel-Megeve.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
briand6868, Maybe work back from whatever time you want to arrive in resort. Will you want to have a bit of a warmup ski on the Friday ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, Will be looking at Ferry early Wednesday morning with arrival in resort Thurs evening - will need a big bit of a warm up on the Friday - are you going ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
briand6868, I hope to go to it, yes.

There are usually deals to get a cheap liftpass for one or two days before, it looks as if there will be more information available in mid October.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, Thanks for that, a mine of info as usual, see you there hopefully.
snow report
briand6868 wrote:
pam w, Coming from Ireland but am thinking about Dublin/Holyhead/Tunnel rather than Rosslare/Cherbourg, even with the extra 300miles in U.K. the ferry timings make it a more convenient journey.
That would be my preference - if you go the Cherbourg route then be prepared to be shouting for Hughie if it's a bit stormy - there's a reason they have those big sinks in the toilets. Toofy Grin

Calais to Megeve is straightforward, the route is well clear of Paris - motorway all the way to Sallanches and just a few kms up the hill, a comfortable 9 hours or so assuming no hold ups.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy