Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot recommendation for BASI Gap - bony feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning to do a BASI Gap course (Levels 1&2) this season and, for one reason or another (lost/stolen boots), I will need a new pair of ski boots.

I have pretty special feet, in that they are narrow, low volume, and have bony growths on the top (saddle bone deformity, see www.healingfeet.com/blog/foot-care/bumpy-ride-saddle-bone-deformity). I'm tall, thin, 6'2" 78kg, 'advanced' skier (30 odd weeks). So I'm looking for a low volume boot with good lateral stiffness but soft-ish forward flex. But most importantly, one that will accommodate my bony bits.

I've been advised to look at Fischer Vacuum fit and Surefoot. And I'll almost certainly go down some sort of custom liner or tongue option. And Salomon's custom fit 'MAX' boots sound interesting.

My previous boots were Lange Banshee Pro's, with the big toes blown out a bit, from circa 1999. They weren't too bad on the bony bits but weren't as snug as I would like. A lot of boots just aren't an option, they clamp down in exactly the wrong place.

I'd appreciate any advice you good people may have...

Cheers Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbwtaylor, I'll say it first....you need a professional bootfitter to advise the right boots for your feet and fit them and they'll need to see your feet!

Where are you based?

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey holidayloverxx,

Thanks for the reply mate. I'm not about to buy a pair of boots online, don't worry(!) A professional boot fitter will be involved somewhere along the line for sure. I'm just looking for opinions on some of the options out there, and I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who's been through similar process, from the buyer or bootfitter perspective.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
very difficult to say exactly what will work without seeing your feet, there are a number of low volume boots out there, many more than when you bought your last boots, the fisher is one option but you need to be a little careful where it is done and if your feet are that skinny then it may not pull in as much plastic as you think, it is good for the right foot just like any other boot!

other options could be the new Lange RX/RS last, the Salomon as you suggested (although this has a little more volume than many 98mm lasted boots, head Raptor, Atomic Burner/CS or redster or even the new fit of the Dalbello krypton

the exostosis that you have on the top of your foot is commonly caused by a combination of instability of the foot and then the friction of that part of the foot rubbing on footwear, the key is to get the foot as stable as possible, a well made custom footbed will deal with the instability, and then to accommodate the area, as i have not seen your feet difficult to know exactly how much protrusion has to be dealt with, sometimes a foam liner (with a foam injected tongue) is ideal, sometimes it simply doesn't work, it is possible to punch the shell upwards in that area with the correct tools, and often this combined with a standard liner and some modification to the padding on the liner is the best solution. if there is a large exostosis then a custom shell type boot is unlikely to handle it all without further modification being done after the initial moulding process.

you say that a lot of boots are not an option as they clamp down on exactly the wrong place, it may be that one of these boots IS the best option and just needs to be adjusted to accommodate the problem, if you simply fit the boot to that specific problem out the box then there is little chance that the rest of the boot will fit the foot well.

hope that helps, just ask if you need to know more
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbwtaylor, Zipfit liners are worth looking into, i have very similar issues to you with thin, low volume feet, bone spurs etc. and spend a fair amount of time in ski boots, the zipfits really help. Good luck with your BASI
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
should explain why zip fit might work.... the tongue is filled with a never setting cork and ceramic clay putty, this can mould around all sorts of lumps and bumps and continues to get better the more you use it, the liners last 400-500 days so normally outlast the shells...for this type of bone spur the shell may need a bit of modification too
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, that's great information. The Zipfit liners sound very clever, I'll be tracking them down. I'm in Australia at the minute, back in England for Christmas before heading out to the Alps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbwtaylor, You can book an appointment with CEM now and you can be sure you'll be sorted in time. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy