Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming Dec 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I managed to get some free accommodation booked for Schladming 1st-8th Dec 2012. But before I book any flights/lift passes etc I was wondering if anyone had been that early in December and knew, in general, what the snow conditions would be like?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc434589, Too early to say
but they normally make huge efforts to open as early as possible. Usually they open in November. and have a very good record for the beginning of the season.

In fact you only have to book flight in advance (assuming you get them cheaper).
No need to book transfers until last minute and lift passes you can buy in the gondola base station.
If you book Ryanair flights I would only book luggage / ski carriage a few days before departure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc434589, Normally one of the first "low" resorts to open and brilliant snowmaking facilities (if it is cold enough) so you should be ok - my favourite spot so I'm a bit biased.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A little on rthe low side I think fro early season. I would think that Oberatuern is a better prospect for early Dec, as tjhe snow reacord is consistantly good early season.
Oh, and Ive been there 1st week dec about 3-4 times Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In 2009,Schladming started the season on october the 18th, see the photo report below
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=32931&p=4647275

Obertauern vs Schladming.
Yes, Obertauern is higher. Considerably.
But where Schladming slopes are on pastures (grass), in Obertauern there's lots more rocks to cover.
So they need much more snow, naturally or artificial, to have good coverage.

To compensate for lower altitude, Schladming has invested in a MASSIVE artificial snow installation.
They have 100% coverage (nice). But more importantly: their installation and water reservoirs are massive.
They only need 48-72 hrs of cold wheather, to cover ALL of the pistes.

Look up the slope reports on alpinforum, and you will see that slope conditions in Schladming in early season, are often better than in Obertauern.

It's only in late season (april) when Obertauern has the advantage.
By then the snow depth is high and can survive high temperatures.
In Schladming they also have snow "in store" by creating huge mountains of artificial snow.

But by then snow quantity is not the problem.
Snow quality is the problem. Temperatures in Schladming are 6 degrees higher, so you're skiing in slush by 11 AM.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year I got the first week in Dec, or possible a couple of days later. They had the snow cannons going so some runs were open and decent, then got a big dump mid week and ended up even going down the lift cuts in the forest in a foot of fresh Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all for your insightful replies Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc434589, If you need more info look up Kooky,Waynos or Flangesax all locals and experts on the area
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
briand6868, Waynos has gone back to the UK Sad but flangesax is rapidly becoming a Schladders Guru! Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc434589, Last year no snow in St Anton on 8th December, we arrived on 10th, 30cm new pow. Never been to Schladming but its on my list, go for it. You can always get up to a glacier in the area, worst case.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, The Dachstein glacier is really not worth the effort to be honest! Sad It is mainly used by cross-country teams for high altitude training so it gives and indication of how "steep" it is! Kitzsteinhorn is better, but if you are driven to a glacier then so is everyone else!

BUT the off-piste up there though is awesome but you do need a knowledgeable locally qualified guide to get the best out of it safely. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schladming generally starts pretty early. Many people bring up the altitude issue but Schladming is a long way east and therefore altitude becomes less of an issue as it would in say a French resort. I skied there a few years ago on the first weekend in December and we had awesome snow. I've skied there pretty much every year for the last 5 pre-Christmas and always had very good conditions. Under normal circumstances you should have no problem from mid-station up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc434589, Snow canons in place on Schladming snowHead( also saw them up at Zauchensee and Maria Alm yesterday)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kooky, snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Are you in situ for the season yet, watching out the window for the white stuff.
ski holidays
briand6868, I bet she has pressure plates set on the roof to set alarms off when the first flake falls Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Scarpa, Yep - looks like she spent the weekend checking out snow cannon positions for an early sneak attack. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy