Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

worn bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok ....no replies to my first post (boo) so i'll try my 2nd question....
on my x-wings the smartrack bindings are a bit loose on the toe clip..it appears that the rail underneath has become compressed and allows a slight wobble
is this repairable,dangerous or can i live with it ? has anyone else had this experience ? my mates nomads have the same binding system but called protrack (or maybe its the other way around) but they are newer and still ok
Are they only made for a short life? the salomons have had about 12 weeks snowtime
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi cottonedon, welcome to snowheads, probably can't help you with the answer without a better description of the wobble but just wanted to show our hospitality!

Answer to your first question if you liked the tornados look at a similar spec Enduro!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cottonedon, I had 3 pairs of Salomon skis with smartrak plates. If you're referring to slight 'play' in the toepiece when there's no boot in it, then from memory (I haven't got them here to check) they all do that. It's caused by the toepiece being adjustable forwards and backwards on the rail for different length boots, a bit like a rental binding is, and it's the slack in the locking system. If you put your ski boot in the binding and close the heel piece I think you'll find all the play is taken up and it's solid. Test it yourself - if there's no play once the boot is in, don't worry about it, it's not dangerous and isn't going to fall off. All bindings have a certain amount of movement built into them to cope with the stresses of skiing; this is just part of this system. I've never noticed any issue when actually skiing them.

Couple of other thoughts:

If you're worried about the rail being compressed (which you don't need to be) just slide the bindings off by holding up the spring loaded lugs - the rail then falls off and you can re shape it if you want but it really doesn't matter.

You don't mention which model binding you have but if it's a 9 series and the wobble you're referring to is within the toepiece when the boot is locked in (you can 'rock' the front of the boot side to side) then tighten the wing adjustment and stick some threadlock in it - it's manual and has a reputation for working loose. You might want to get a qualified tech to do this and test it.

With regards to your other question, the Enduro XT800 is the current equivalent and has had excellent reviews everywhere but don't expect Snowheads to endorse it 'cause it hasn't got a 120mm waist and it's not made in someone's shed rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cottonedon, ....welcome to SHs - good posts in response so far. I have a pair of crossmax V12 deep in the pile, and that has the same protrac - are yours the Z12 or Z10 bindings? all of these have a small amount of play, but to check, put a boot in one and then the other and then compare. You can fettle the rails a little but I'm not going to recommend it since bending can stretch the metal and a wavy track is a dud track. If there's a big difference in the play in the different binding L and R then take it to S+R or someone and most likely they will fix for nowt.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers guys
that seems to sum it all up
they are the z12...i think the problem probably comes from kicking the toepiece to remove ice/crud from the boot sole (duh..i don't do that anymore)
thanks for the info on the enduro XT800 will look at them
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cottonedon, ...ah that might explain it....my daughter (then age 7) managed to kick the front binding out of one of her skis by doing this...note that on Z series and the 810, 910 Salomon bindings, the REAR binding, when open, has quite a sharp edge - this is excellent for removing snow from the base of a boot simply by firmly running the sole (not kicking) along the sharp edge. Gets the ice off but doesn't wreck the bindings.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for that advice.....saves whacking the bjaysus out of my poles
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy