Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season Work

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Just a quick question asking for some help. My brother is desperate for some ski season work at any resorts in Europe this coming season. He has applied for over 40 jobs so far, but still no luck! He is looking for any kind of work, is desperate to do a season. Does anyone have any advice for him? What are the chances of him finding a job if he goes out there at the start of the season and looks for jobs then?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm planning on doing this for the 2014 season and I've been given some advice. What experience/previous jobs/relevant training does he have? and what jobs has he been applying for?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He has been applying for kitchen porter work, hotel hosts, chalet hosts, a wide range of jobs. He is 18 years old, and has worked in a pub kitchen and front of house since he was 14, so does have some experience of working in the catering industry. Thanks for the quicky reply
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
smithy05, There are some TOs that employ 18yo staff. One that springs to mind is Esprit. Natives is a good source of info.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I sorted mine out maybe a month ago now, didn't particularly want to work for a big TO, and found a season job via www.chaletsdirect.com with a small family run firm, now I'm just struggling to focus at work, rather than daydreaming about the mountains!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
smithy05, Weird, I would imagine somebody would be willing considering he's had 4 years experience, I take it he's only been applying to British companies? and yeah natives seems pretty popular for jobs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smithy05 wrote:
He has been applying for kitchen porter work, hotel hosts, chalet hosts, a wide range of jobs. He is 18 years old, and has worked in a pub kitchen and front of house since he was 14, so does have some experience of working in the catering industry. Thanks for the quicky reply

Check his CV and application forms, they must be stunningly bad if he isn't being snapped up with that sort of experience! Also, get him to check out Natives.co.uk
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we advertised for staff on natives recently (for a UK based job) got 8 applicants, 4 thought the job was based in the alps (read the dam advert), 2 were unemployable and the 2 we contacted to discuss the position further didn't bother to reply..... so if he has got 1/2 an ounce of sense he should be able to find something via natives (coz based on what we saw there are an awful lot of not very bright people out there!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smithy05, with that sort of experience he should have been snapped up by the first company he applied to. He's doing something wrong in interview.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What Lizzard and clarky999 say, to have applied to that many companies with the experience you say he has he should have no problem getting something.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
so if he has got 1/2 an ounce of sense he should be able to find something via natives (coz based on what we saw there are an awful lot of not very bright people out there!)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, nothing to add to this thread... I just found that quite funny...

Hope your bro gets something soon buddy... I regret never doing a season... I fear I am too old and too tied up in other things now to contemplate doing one...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi smithy05,

Sit down with your brother and look through his application forms and cvs with him. Make sure that:

- he is following the application instructions from each job he applies for (ie sending a covering letter if it says send one etc)
- he only includes his date of birth/age when this is specifically asked for (18 is young to work a season so get them to judge on experience not age). Do not start a letter with "I am a mature 18 year old" otherwise many companies will just bin it without looking.
- that his work experience comes first on his cv, and that he has explained exactly what he does in the jobs (ie if he cleans the kitchen make sure he writes "in this role I clean the kitchen).
- that his education section is relatively small, but that he mentions if he studied any languages, food tech, food hygiene, IT etc (you should still mention qualifications but these aren't very relevant to the jobs he is applying for)
- Because of his age make sure that there is something on his cv clearly indicating that he is able to manage independant living. eg any positions of responsibility (school council? pub key holder etc?); any self organised travel (backpacking etc); any time he has lived away from home (even if only for a summer job or as part of a sports team). If all that fails get him to put something in his interests that makes it clear that he can look after himself eg In my spare time I enjoy hosting dinner parties for friends and family etc etc.

Then pick one or two jobs which he is 100% confident that he can easily do and get him to apply for those, writing directly to the companies and not just sending them through natives. He should take time to look at the jobs properly and tailor his cv, application form, letter etc to the roles he is looking at.

Good luck!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob wrote:
smithy05, There are some TOs that employ 18yo staff. One that springs to mind is Esprit. Natives is a good source of info.

I was a KP/NP with them and at our hotel they started taking "more mature" KP/NPs the year before I did it (i.e., they were unwilling to consider 18yos fresh out of school) because they had a lot of problems in previous years with 18yo night porters being unreliable... That could explain his problem there specifically because the bulk of their KPs in chalet hotels also do night portering on a rota.

I think of the 6 of us the youngest was 21 and we had 5 degrees including 2 masters between us Laughing

The chalet hosts/waiting staff were different though, there were plenty of 18yos there.

Have to say I'm surprised he hasn't got anything.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Smithy

Some really good advice above ... the issue is KP is and entry level role. You brother has good experience BUT these companies get hundreds of applications......

Allot of them start recruiting early especially the large tour ops .... where a typical 18 would apply if they have never worked a season. They are generally full for these roles by August.....

Going out there is a huge risk ...... The really issue he is facing is age and never working a season.......

Have alook at our ski jobs site www.snowjobz.co.uk , especially http://www.snowjobz.co.uk/what_can_you_do.htm , there are some great articles we have collected ... this will help him write a better cv .

WHAT IS RELLY REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT REALLY ! Is the cover letter (this is crucial) he needs to demonstrate why he is applying to that particular company ........ and how he fits in.

He could consider a rep role as well ....

I have worked for one of these major job boards previously to setting up snowjobz for 5 years and I hear excatly why candidates get refused and I know what they look out for, when they recruit and the roles to go for.....

BUT JUST TO HELP YOU BROTHER OUT.....

Contact Stevie @ http://www.myswisscamp.com/camps/ski-camps/ 9 get your brother to call) - say Kavel from Snow jobz recommended your bros after reading this thread ..... and he should get sorted but ring asap....

When he rings if the reception asked why he is calling tell her that I was told to call by Kavel about some of his ski roles ... available

let me know how it goes.... other companies I would call snow crazy http://www.snowjobz.co.uk/day-in-the-life-of-a-chalet-host.html

Ask to speak to Mike or Laura and say the same thing....

Let me know how it goes I will def able to help you out I have over 200 direct contacts .... you can email me through the site or kavel@snowjobz.co.uk

Our site job section is not ye ready but I am happy to help and put a good word in to move ya bros to the top of the pile

All the best and get in touch

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
also this may help was wrten by a a recruiter not a Monkey in an office.... http://www.snowjobz.co.uk/applying_for_a_ski_job.html
snow report
We advertise on www.seasonworkers.com but have not yet recruited for next winter as we're waiting on decisions to see which of our current staff are staying. He can send a CV to admin@mountainsunltd.com if he's interested in chalet work, driving or ski tech work and we'll contact if we ahve anything suitable as we'll be starting recruitment very soon.
latest report
Mountain Sun is a really great company to work for have met Joanne at the ski shows snowHead
ski holidays
AlpineAddict wrote:
I regret never doing a season... I fear I am too old and too tied up in other things now to contemplate doing one...

Never to old, AlpineAddict, regret nothing....

If you never take chances in life you'll miss out on the best things.

Every new day is another chance to change your life.

But i understand that most wont follow these rules, therefore it's better for us that do.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy