Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish snowheads bash 23/24 March 2013

Poster: A snowHead
It was a pity that the Scottish snowheads bash didn't happen last March due to the unusual lack of snow. (see: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78848 )

How about trying again next March. Weekends of the 16th or 23rd would both be OK for me.
Probably I would come up for a longer visit with Mrs snowball, as intended last time.

The year before that, when it was very successful, the weekend was based in Cairngorm / Aviemore as this has the best piste skiing. However I arrived a few days earlier to ski at Nevis Range / Fort William (and Glencoe), and also skied the Sunday there with any who wanted to try the other side. I will probably do some extra days of skiing next time too. Being more of an off-piste skier I prefer Nevis Range for its tough skiing off the back (see my TR of Nevis on the Resorts area of snowheads) and would be pleased if anyone wanted to join me.

To get more of an idea see the thread from the season before last :
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286&highlight=scotland
and someone's report on their experience of it: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1763133&highlight=scotland#1763133

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 21-09-12 15:19; edited 9 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, people must really have been put off by what happened last year. When I put up this suggestion last August there were about 20 answers in the first day. Perhaps I should have waited a couple of weeks.
Those were extremely unusual conditions last season - on average in mid to later March, Scotland has its biggest snow depths.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having missed my only attempt at a Scottish bash type event a few years ago (owing to every trainline between Plymouth and Birmingham being under several feet of water and/or mud), I'd definitely be up for something like this. The weekend of the 16th works for me, not sure about the 23rd at the moment though. It's one of my embarrassing admissions that I've still yet to ski in Scotland.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd normally have said yes but I'm hopnig to be away the last week in march which probably rules us out of attewnding
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, not if it were the 16/17th
Most people when we did it in 2011 went up on the friday evening and just skied 2 days. However, a few, like me, went up a few days earlier or stayed later.
skisimon, not so embarrassing, not everyone thinks it is worth the journey.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to advise the Scottish Childrens Ski Championships are scheduled for the 16th/17th of March at Cairngorm , when these races ran in 2011 , the White Lady was closed on both days till about 3pm and the M1 shut on the Saturday till about 3.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this could fit in with such a bash. interesting development and could well catch on (being nigh on a perfect event for Scottish variable conditions & terrain IMO). Nevis on the 23rd is one of 4 i think events planned round the centres. They seem to be keeping it pretty laid back too so that average punters can give it a lash, rather than it being all lycra, woolly headbands and snots

http://skimoscotland.co.uk/styled-9/styled-10/index.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, it would I'm afraid, we couldn't spend 3 consecutive weekends away from home due to other commmittments
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I can I'll try and make it up, depending on how it goes. If I recall those dates clashed with the Off Piste bash which runs that time of year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Although living in England, I'm a Scot so would quite fancy an excuse to go back 'home' and ski the highlands again.

Both weekends would work for me with a slight preference for the 23rd
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depending on situations with dad, count me in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Potentially keen, if you don't mind strangers tagging along Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would fancy giving scotland a bash, thought about trying it for past few seasons but never got round to it - only live in Newcastle so easy to get there for us - would mean yet more strangers snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh wrote:
Potentially keen, if you don't mind strangers tagging along Very Happy

Strangers? Year before last I only knew a couple of people before the event though I'd seen a number of postings by some of the others.

To get more of an idea see the thread from the season before last :
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286&highlight=scotland
and someone's report on their experience of it: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1763133&highlight=scotland#1763133
Also last season's failed attempt: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78848 )

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 26-08-12 12:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, can't believe it was only last year, as in 2011, when we had our Scottish bash - seems ages ago! Anyone wondering what it is like, do read the threads in snowball's post above, especially this review thread. I probably won't be able to make it next year but have a great time snowball & others snowHead
snow report
cathy, responding to your "as in", I've now changed "last year" to "last season"!
Sorry you can't be with us. (That's if it comes off this time. Response is a bit slow but perhaps I put this suggestion in a bit too early).

So far that's:

snowball
AndAnotherThing..
Ricklovesthepowder
Serridh
Migletski
MCL
feef ?
spiky1013,?
Mosha Marc?

roga
Skisimon

sted?
possibly On the rocks
AB Ski
Sofia
tangowaggon
& family

The White Lady piste (Cairngorm / Aviemore) probably unavailable on the 16th - which might be an important factor for many.

I will add a bit more to my first post.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-02-13 11:29; edited 6 times in total
snow report
Thought I'd bump this since the website seems more active again recently and perhaps not everyone has seen it.
Or perhaps it's just that too many people were put off by what happened to Scottish snow in March last year.
latest report
Would possibly be up for it, wont know until much nearer the time though
snow report
Well, pencil it into your diary as a possible. That is the situation for lots of people I suspect.

We've got about a quarter of the people showing interest last year and the year before, which is a surprise.

By the way, I get the general impression fewer posts are being posted on snowheads than last year, or is my memory faulty (?)
ski holidays
As a Ski Scotland regular, Mrs MA and I would have been up for Snowheads Bash debuts in 2013 - but sadly wink we'll be in Tignes from the 17th - 24th March.
ski holidays
Sure I could join you all on one of the days at cairngorm Very Happy

Am hoping for a pre christmas day there too as a Tignes warm up!
snow conditions
I'm in Cham from the 9th to 16th, so looks like I'll miss out Sad
snow report
feef, even if it were on the 24th - which would mean the White Lady run would be open (see above)?
snow report
If it was that weekend, then possible... but having spent a week away, and my boy with his mum for that week, I think it unlikely that I'll be free that weekend too..

I could always bring him up, but he's only 2 and I'm not sure quite ready to throw him at a scottish mountain
latest report
snowball wrote:
Well, pencil it into your diary as a possible. That is the situation for lots of people I suspect.

That's what I've done. I will get there if I can, but it's too dependent on all sorts of other things at the moment.
snow report
snowball, Please add my name to the tentatives. Don't fancy 16th weekend if lift access is restricted (but date ok ) . 23rd Ok also . The assumption appears to be Aviemore which I like and it suits well for train travel.
ski holidays
16th is also seems to be the provisional date for the next Coe Cup so I'll almost definitely be in Scotland but obviously won't be on the right mountain. Very Happy

However I will be in the country for a few days before and after that weekend if the flights work out the same as this year so would definitely be up for meeting up with some people and skiing.
ski holidays
meh, I don't know about the Coe Cup. What is it?

If we go for the 23rd I would probably be going up a few days early to the West, so we might be able to ski together.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, the Coe Cup is the freeskiing competition held at Glencoe. It's a qualifying tournament for the World Freeride Tour, I think
ski holidays
^ aye, I think you're right there nbt Very Happy

if there's snaw count me in snowHead
latest report
Bump
snow report
Turns out the weekend of the 23rd/24th works out better for me anyway (as I'll now be working out in Italy for most of February). snowHead
snow conditions
I would be very interested in this, but need to see if the dates conflict with the Serre Chevalier Off Piste Bash
snow conditions
Well my Surname is McDonald, do I qualify? Very Happy

I'm not a very gifted skier though..... Embarassed
snow conditions
I would be v interested..but am away both those weekends. Downgrading to the alps for a couple of weeks.....
ski holidays
snowball, either weekend for me, am now in Aviemore for pretty much the whole season apart from training weeks in the Alps snowHead
ski holidays
I'm already on the list but yes I will hopefully be there. I will take the Thursday and Friday off work then get a decent amount of skiing in. Now all we need is the decent scottish weather. What ever could go wrong!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Now all we need is the decent scottish weather. What ever could go wrong!

ROTFL Wink
snow report
Ah, nice to see this thread is still finding new people. I hope it happens this year. If so it looks like it will be the weekend of the 24th.
(List amended).
snow report
snowball

If I'm not somewhere else, and if the conditions are good, I'll do my best to be there, assuming there's some momentum to this. So same as last year, really.

If it happens, I'll drive up and do five or six days. It's just not worth it for a weekend.

Yep, lots of 'ifs'.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy